Rod Temperton RIP | Vital Football

Rod Temperton RIP

RebelBee

Vital 1st Team Regular
Sad news from the USA announcing the death of Rod Temperton at 66.

A skinny musician from Cleethorpes Lancs who was randomly born with soul in his veins. Played & wrote for Heatwave & then went on to become one of the most influential writers & producers on the planet, working with greats like George Benson & of course Michael Jackson & Quincy Jones.

Quiet, modest & largely unknown, Temperton was a genius & one of our finest musical talents - just look at his recording, writing & production credits.

Very sad that we've lost such a talent - RIP RT.

I've just been cheeky enough to cut and paste that onto Facebook. I always argued that he and Quincy were the main talents behind Off the Wall and Thriller in particular. Some great homemade classics too, Mind Blowing Decisions, Gangsters of the Groove, Always and Forever and of course Boogie Nights, both of which were million sellers. Music has lost a true great.

Cheers CB, spot my lancs typo - should be Lincs. You are so right, Mind blowing decision is a timeless pure class track, the icing on the glorious mix of genius that was Heatwave. His work with Quincy Jones on their back on the block album is a must have for any soulie.

The mighty Chaka Khan has paid a moving tribute to him today.

Rod the invisible man was a modern day Beethoven - and he was one of us!

Had never heard of him and so looked him up - impressed! British contributions to the world of music are something to be proud of, mind you if he had the choice between watching The Iron or The Imps, it's no wonder he took up music.

Glad you did a little digging Spanish - he was behind so much amazing music. CB is really knowledgeable on all this stuff. Rod wrote my favourite ever slow burner "baby come to me" delivered beautifully by James Ingram & Patti Austin - most people know it, have a listen if you don't. A truly quality slice of smooth.

How could any record with the tonsils of James Ingram and Patti Austin NOT have quality? What a great record that was. (Plus the smutty mind I have it always reminds me of the "don't smell like come to me" joke and makes me giggle like a schoolkid)

How could any record with the tonsils of James Ingram and Patti Austin NOT have quality? What a great record that was. (Plus the smutty mind I have it always reminds me of the "don't smell like come to me" joke and makes me giggle like a schoolkid)