Rochdale (A) | Vital Football

Rochdale (A)

Arthur_Itis

Vital Squad Member
It would be brilliant if we could win 3 in a row, but I'm trying to contain my expectations, it must be very difficult for the lads to maintain focus and intensity for every game when they come so thick and fast and the last couple will have drained them mentally and physically.

I'm sure Rochdale will be targeting this game as a "get back to winning ways" after losing their last 2 against strong opposition.

Always had a soft spot for Rochdale, had some cracking away days there over the years and on the whole found their fans to be a decent bunch.

EDIT -Bollocks, just realised it's at home !! anyone know how to edit a thread title ?

Last edited:
I think the win on Saturday will have given the whole squad a boost following on as it did from the battling performance at Sunderland.

Rochdale will be on a low after their defeats and it is probably going to have drained them of confidence.

The problem here is that there are, as always, two ways this could go, we could go into the game against a wounded Rochdale team desperate to get back on track and looking for the fight, whilst our players are over confident.

OR......

We could be boosted by the return of injured players and be totally confident in our abilities whilst respecting the opposition who are a demoralised force.

Like the previous games I am going to say that the performance for me is the most important thing, and as long as we see every player in Latics colours give their all and represent the club with the best performance they can give I will be happy.

However....

I would be ecstatic if we could turn them over and get out of the bottom four.

Come on you Tic's.

I remember the firs time I went to Rochdale, they had Eugene "Chico" Martinez playing on the wing for them. We had Frank Corrigan ! I'm not really sure if the view was justified, but I always had them down as a little exotic after that.

Plus of course, they had their own cowboy ........ Mrs Harding's kid ......even if he wasn't a football fan.

Apparently, this might be the first time this season where we field an unchanged team ................. which unfortunately means we'll have no returns from injury, but on the plus side will be a massive reward for every one of those towering heroes from the Accy game.

As always, (and as TB says), a decent performance would be great ....... as would another scrappy win .......... a combination of the two would be delightful, but the cherry would see us giving them men a cracking thumping.

A mate is (Rochdale's own) Lisa Stansfield's second cousin (or it might be his mum was second cousin to her mum .....or summat like that !) .........either way, let's hope we don't have to go all around the world to find 3 points tonight.

Edit - 3 baht.

Every game is the same for us;

If we turn up and don't commit suicidal mistakes we've got a very good chance of getting results.

Issue has been too often this season we've been the architects of our own downfall. Last 2 games will hopefully give us confidence and senior players back helps but a moment of madness at the back could undo everything. We need everyone to keep their concentration and ensure we don't gift them anything.

Game tonight could be a genuine turning point as it could get us out of the relegation places and cement some belief. This league is shite - but we've too often looked nervous and cautious when there is nothing to fear. A third win on the bounce would hopefully make them start to really believe that more and more.

Every game is the same for us;

If we turn up and don't commit suicidal mistakes we've got a very good chance of getting results.

Issue has been too often this season we've been the architects of our own downfall. Last 2 games will hopefully give us confidence and senior players back helps but a moment of madness at the back could undo everything. We need everyone to keep their concentration and ensure we don't gift them anything.

Game tonight could be a genuine turning point as it could get us out of the relegation places and cement some belief. This league is shite - but we've too often looked nervous and cautious when there is nothing to fear. A third win on the bounce would hopefully make them start to really believe that more and more.

The comments you are making are exactly the comments from last season. The suicidal mistakes that were costing us points, the lack of confidence and the nerves and caution in our play. They all seemed to disappear as the players formed partnerships and learned the strengths and weaknesses of the players around them.

Over the past few weeks it has become apparent to me that by playing the majority of our team selected from the U23 set up has paid dividends in that the players have played together for a number of seasons and have that knowledge of each others games. I hope that LR and GR have seen that and continue to play the bulk of the squad in that vein utilising the experienced pro's to supplement the squad. In a normal season you would introduce one or two players from the youth teams into the squad so as not to disrupt the balance of the team and I believe that is what should be done with the older players in this season. The younger guys are playing well and supporting each others games but to make sweeping changes, if we could that is, could pose more problems than good.

Latics: J.Jones (Capt); James, Johnson, Tilt, Long, Pearce; Merrie, Perry; Gardner; Joseph, Keane

Subs: O.Evans, Obi, Robinson, Smith, Crankshaw, Aasgaard, Jolley

I think the win on Saturday will have given the whole squad a boost following on as it did from the battling performance at Sunderland.

Rochdale will be on a low after their defeats and it is probably going to have drained them of confidence.

The problem here is that there are, as always, two ways this could go, we could go into the game against a wounded Rochdale team desperate to get back on track and looking for the fight, whilst our players are over confident.

OR......

We could be boosted by the return of injured players and be totally confident in our abilities whilst respecting the opposition who are a demoralised force.

Like the previous games I am going to say that the performance for me is the most important thing, and as long as we see every player in Latics colours give their all and represent the club with the best performance they can give I will be happy.

However....

I would be ecstatic if we could turn them over and get out of the bottom four.

Come on you Tic's.

OR

Depending on who the returning player(s) are ? and who they replac ?, the team that did so well on Saturday could be unbalanced and we are back to square 1 !

OR

Depending on who the returning player(s) are ? and who they replac ?, the team that did so well on Saturday could be unbalanced and we are back to square 1 !
OR

EDIT - Just noticed - its the same starting lineup as Saturday - game on !

Also going for a 2-0 home win, just hope my nerves won't be as shredded as they have been with the last two matches.
:thumbup:

All over us like a cheap suit

Shocking that their lad was allowed to work the space for that shot

This team is unrecognisable from the one I watched on Saturday. We are getting battered and in goes the second goal. This is shite and not bloody good enough. No excuses. Richardson needs to get the hairdryer out.