Robinson | Vital Football

Robinson

Gaz_Imp

Vital Football Hero
Surely some of this cup money needs to be spent on getting Theo tied to a proper deal? I know he might be holding out for a league side, but he must now be enjoying it here.

Tactically he has added so much. I think before this run teams started to push high so Rhead couldn't get in the box and then stand off him and pick up the 2nd ball from the headers he did win. Now with Theo there teams can't push up because we get in behind, but if they get pushed back Rhead can punish them. Too much for most teams at our level to handle.

I agree. However, he really made the most of being in the shop window last night. I wouldn't be surprised if a league side (e.g. Oldham!) came in for him in January.

Oldham can't even afford to offer their players who are out of contract in January new deals!

But yeah, agreed. Important to get pace around Rhead, which we have, and having an option to go Robinson or Rhead poses a problem for opposition players. Too high, and Robinson's in, too deep and Rhead will pin them back.

Agreed must try and sign him on until the end of the season. Its no coincidence that since Theo has starting playing we haven't lost....

The amount of pressing and running he does is relentless. So glad he bagged 2 last night.

And to think we've had some fans questioning his value to the team. He has been excellent since he has arrived, and dovetails perfectly with Rhead.

He seemed genuinely impressed with the crowd last night. Maybe he senses that something special is stirring at the Bank as well?

Demonstrated his qualities last night, went through a spell where his 1st touch was poor and missed a really good chance. He never ever stopped running and chasing though which is exactly what we need playing along side Rhead. Bagged 2 (1 off his shoulder) but they all count and the 2nd was a great finish so fair play.

That's the best I've seen him play for us. Right now we're 16 unbeaten, 5 wins on the trot and absolutely no reason to change what we're doing or how we're doing it. There's money in the bank should we need it...

Think we will need it for a FB as cover at some stage as I can see Wood getting himself sent off the way he plays (though I love everything he brings to the team). On Robinson, have to say on that performance you could see his higher league quality/experience. Agree he fits in with Rhead really well.

He's won me over. If he likes it here and sees us getting promoted, he could carry on playing with a League club without moving. ;)

To look at it another way, perhaps the weekly rolling deal keeps him motivated? I agree about his worth to the team, though - if we don't tie him down to a longer term contract soon, I'm sure someone else will. Perhaps Mr Vince is taking his eco-friendly fair-trade sustainable cheque book out of his pocket as we speak, because they are becoming more desperate by the day.

I'm wondering if Marriott could play a similar role to Robinson? From the little I've seen he looks like a more skillful player and certainly a more natural finisher. I assume he's recovered from his injuries but there is a reluctance to bring him on from the bench - Muldoon being preferred at the moment, probably for his pace.

Wonderimp - 6/12/2016 14:58

I'm wondering if Marriott could play a similar role to Robinson? From the little I've seen he looks like a more skillful player and certainly a more natural finisher. I assume he's recovered from his injuries but there is a reluctance to bring him on from the bench - Muldoon being preferred at the moment, probably for his pace.

I know it's a horrible football cliche, but does he have the "engine" of Robinson? the latter has good acceleration and pace and that lets him get around really well. I don't think any of our other players quite have that combination.

Scotimp - 6/12/2016 14:32

To look at it another way, perhaps the weekly rolling deal keeps him motivated? I agree about his worth to the team, though - if we don't tie him down to a longer term contract soon, I'm sure someone else will. Perhaps Mr Vince is taking his eco-friendly fair-trade sustainable cheque book out of his pocket as we speak, because they are becoming more desperate by the day.

I have heard this is the reason why we haven't offered anything more permanent to him.

A week to week deal means he needs to put in a shift every game, getting our monies worth.

If he went elsewhere, I think we'd end up signing Margetts on loan or Akinola pretty quickly.

cdhIMP - 6/12/2016 16:04

I have heard this is the reason why we haven't offered anything more permanent to him.

A week to week deal means he needs to put in a shift every game, getting our monies worth.

If he went elsewhere, I think we'd end up signing Margetts on loan or Akinola pretty quickly.

That's fine, up to a point. I'd argue, though, that it could be counter-productive if Robinson wants/starts to feel he should have something more permanent.

I Think he deservers a deal to the end of the season as he runs his socks off for City and has a good understanding with Rhead. He's no need to look for a league club for next season he's most likely playing for one now.

Maybe Theo himself has asked for a rolling contract. Maybe he has said he will play for less money on that basis and wants to return higher up the pyramid.

At this level there are lots of trade offs and maybe the board/manager are prepared to accept that because they feel that Theo for a few months is better than not having Theo for a few months.

HE could also value himself higher than the money we offer but is prepared to play for the lower amount short term.

Some interesting theories but I do think we should give him a more permanent deal. The lad his run his socks off for City.

cdhIMP - 6/12/2016 16:04

Without having seen too much, I get the impression Akinola isn't too different from Robinson. Both quick, both hard workers and both chip in with goals. I think Akinola is taller a bit more of an aerial threat but not to the point that's how you'd play the ball to him.

Robinson reminds me a bit of Marcus Richardson. Can't settle at one club and is trying his damndest to get himself a move to a club higher up the divisions. I am not sure he is here for the long haul or even until the end of the season.

Impartiality - 6/12/2016 17:51

Robinson reminds me a bit of Marcus Richardson. Can't settle at one club and is trying his damndest to get himself a move to a club higher up the divisions. I am not sure he is here for the long haul or even until the end of the season.

Yes very much so
He's here to put himself in the window so last nights performance in front of the cameras will do him no harm
Very experienced player to have knows where to find the space and his second goal was from a great finish under pressure
I doubt he'll see the season out with us

Yes I think Danny and Nicky are going to have quite a few challenges keeping the squad together particularly during the January transfer window. Having said that it's a great Robles t have as it is a direct result of the fantastic season we're having. We will also have the benefit of money to replace anyone who goes or to invest in their wages to hopefully entice them to stay or sign a revised contract. I'm sure D & C will be across it all giving us the best chance to retain while having strong contingencies if anyone departs. Having said all that I'm a big supporter of Theo and would love to see him stay until the end of the season. I'm sure the success and atmosphere around the club has given us a chance to make that happen which otherwise wouldn't have been an option. UTI!