Robinson linked with AC Milan | Page 4 | Vital Football

Robinson linked with AC Milan

Why didn't you post the sleepy emoji to the post this joke was bouncing off regarding us getting 77 points based on the form of the last 2 games meaning we'll win 16 out of 16 in the remaining games and Darren Royle being right about footie manager? Why just this one but not the others jokes that preceeded it?

Just seen Cook has said to Sky before the PNE game that Robinson wasn't available as he has been given a break for another week or so till test results come back all clear (presumably which were done in relation as to why the Milan deal fell through).Firstly,whatever those Italian medics found I hope the additional tests come back all fine and we can then get him back in the team ASAP. I was hoping he would play on Tuesday but after just hearing that,we may have to wait a little longer. We missed his pace to get up and down that left side with and without the ball yesterday.I expected to see him back in the team and this explains why he wasn't.

I'm not suprised, the Milan link will have made everyone do a double take and think 'what have we missed'.

For any scout worth their salt they will see Robinson has a lot of attributes you can't teach and his weaknesses are things that can be worked on. I'm just suprised at the end of last season Everton decided to sell to us rather than just loan him out again.

I think that he's okay for us at Latics' level. I'm truly gobsmacked that any club at a higher level would even look at him twice let alone bid the £10mill that the deal with AC Milan was in total
At 22 he's old enough to have had his weaknesses worked on for years in the professional game & yet he still has them - Bolton fans will tell you what those weaknesses are, that was 3 seasons and we're still talking about them. You can argue that Parkinson & Cook aren't the world's greatest coaches but even they're not that blind to have not got him to work on things. There's been improvement but nothing drastic. Reece James on the other hand looked good when the season started & he just got better & better
I wish him all the best when he gets his big move in the summer but i can't help but feel that within 2 years he'll be back down at Championship level or foreign equivalent

I think that he's okay for us at Latics' level. I'm truly gobsmacked that any club at a higher level would even look at him twice let alone bid the £10mill that the deal with AC Milan was in total
At 22 he's old enough to have had his weaknesses worked on for years in the professional game & yet he still has them - Bolton fans will tell you what those weaknesses are, that was 3 seasons and we're still talking about them. You can argue that Parkinson & Cook aren't the world's greatest coaches but even they're not that blind to have not got him to work on things. There's been improvement but nothing drastic. Reece James on the other hand looked good when the season started & he just got better & better
I wish him all the best when he gets his big move in the summer but i can't help but feel that within 2 years he'll be back down at Championship level or foreign equivalent

Think you hot the nail on the head he's had poor coaches who haven’t fixed those weakness. If I was a coach who had faith in my ability I'd see Robinson as a rough diamond that I could make into a top player.

You don't get many players with the pace, strength and dribbling ability of Robinson. Get his concentration sorted at tracking runners and hammer crossing practice and you've got something special there. Power was dreadful at crossing but when he was frozen out he spent hours working on his delivery and by the time he got back in the side it was so much better he became a very good set piece taker. So it shows what can be done. Power took that initiative himself but a coach should be doing that type of thing.

Think you hot the nail on the head he's had poor coaches who haven’t fixed those weakness. If I was a coach who had faith in my ability I'd see Robinson as a rough diamond that I could make into a top player.

You don't get many players with the pace, strength and dribbling ability of Robinson. Get his concentration sorted at tracking runners and hammer crossing practice and you've got something special there. Power was dreadful at crossing but when he was frozen out he spent hours working on his delivery and by the time he got back in the side it was so much better he became a very good set piece taker. So it shows what can be done. Power took that initiative himself but a coach should be doing that type of thing.

Possibly but like I said, we can't just blame Cook & Co - he's had coaches at Everton for the last 7 years plus the guys at Bolton.
They can't all have been incompetent at seeing where his game needs improving.
In fairness to Latics and him his defending and tracking is now much better than when he first arrived so it's clearly something he's worked on but is still his achilles heel - can he improve it further? Probably but enough to compete well at a higher level? I don't think so
Time will tell I guess but I suspect that the rumoured interest from premier league clubs is either bs from his agent to keep AC Milan interested or these clubs immediately thinking if AC Milan wanted him he must be good. They were hardly beating a path to Everton's door in the summer and how much better has he really got in the last 6 months

Possibly but like I said, we can't just blame Cook & Co - he's had coaches at Everton for the last 7 years plus the guys at Bolton.
They can't all have been incompetent at seeing where his game needs improving.
In fairness to Latics and him his defending and tracking is now much better than when he first arrived so it's clearly something he's worked on but is still his achilles heel - can he improve it further? Probably but enough to compete well at a higher level? I don't think so
Time will tell I guess but I suspect that the rumoured interest from premier league clubs is either bs from his agent to keep AC Milan interested or these clubs immediately thinking if AC Milan wanted him he must be good. They were hardly beating a path to Everton's door in the summer and how much better has he really got in the last 6 months

I understand what you are saying but look at the difference certain coaches can make to players - Kirkland and Bramble under the managers before and after Bruce for example - it was night and day. They were a decent age in their mid 20's had various coaches but suddenly showed more than ever before.

Some managers are just the right fit to bring more out of players - i think there will be plenty who'd fancy themselves to do that with Robinson.

When Leighton Baines was with us its fare to say most people thought he would be a top player and probably play for England. I don't think anyone here so far has been touting Jedi for the top in the same way

When Leighton Baines was with us its fare to say most people thought he would be a top player and probably play for England. I don't think anyone here so far has been touting Jedi for the top in the same way

Funnily enough I was thinking pretty much the same thing when i was typing out my last post
Same with Reece James last season

I understand what you are saying but look at the difference certain coaches can make to players - Kirkland and Bramble under the managers before and after Bruce for example - it was night and day. They were a decent age in their mid 20's had various coaches but suddenly showed more than ever before.

Some managers are just the right fit to bring more out of players - i think there will be plenty who'd fancy themselves to do that with Robinson.

I'd argue that those examples are somewhat different
With Kirkland it wasn't so much that he became a better player under Bruce more that Bruce hit on how to manage his fitness - I've heard that he basically never trained under Bruce & it worked. I don't think he became any better as he'd previously played at Liverpool, it was just that for the first time he was able to play virtually every week. Martinez changed the regime, he started to pick up injuries again and so on
Similarly with Bramble, I don't think that the weaknesses in his game disappeared it just seemed to be that when Bruce brought him back in to the team (don't forget he dropped a clanger within seconds of Bruce's first game & then spent time out of the team) he'd clearly been told that you get the ball & you get rid, you don't attempt to bring it out or play it out just get it & get rid. Again he didn't lose that weakness he had of messing up when in possession he was just told not to do it. Again Martinez came & it was all about possession and playing it out & he started to look like a donkey again

I've no doubt that Robinson can get better but to me he hasn't shown me anywhere near enough that he has what it takes to thrive at a higher level

Why didn't you post the sleepy emoji to the post this joke was bouncing off regarding us getting 77 points based on the form of the last 2 games meaning we'll win 16 out of 16 in the remaining games and Darren Royle being right about footie manager? Why just this one but not the others jokes that preceeded it?
Probably I fell asleep.....

Latics boss Paul Cook has confirmed that Antonee Robinson will be out for two weeks due to a groin injury picked up in training,

Very strange.

Latics boss Paul Cook has confirmed that Antonee Robinson will be out for two weeks due to a groin injury picked up in training,

Very strange.

Not what i heard on Tuesday night, i think it was TB on here that said he'd heard the same.

How often do we complain that the club don't communicate with the fans? Its like getting blood from a stone, now they can't wait to tell us news on Jedi, i smell a rat here, something being covered up by the club

Not what i heard on Tuesday night, i think it was TB on here that said he'd heard the same.

How often do we complain that the club don't communicate with the fans? Its like getting blood from a stone, now they can't wait to tell us news on Jedi, i smell a rat here, something being covered up by the club

What have you heard Norm ?

What do you mean can't wait? Cook was asked about him a few days ago and said he had no comment to make.

The info I was given on Saturday was that Robinson had been given a couple of weeks off to get over the disappointment and get his head together. It is quite possible he picked up the injury when he returned to training from this period of rest.
Whatever has happened I hope the lad recovers quickly and we get him back in the line up quickly given his positive response to the failed transfer and his show of loyalty to the club and us the fans.