Robbo surprised by Lamela | Page 2 | Vital Football

Robbo surprised by Lamela

And just as we agree that, he puts in a MOM performance (for many) and has the best game he's probably had in those 7 years lol!

If you stack ranked priorities for our squad progression you probably wouldn't worry about an attacking midfielder that walks on a freebie next summer. A good guy that never complains when he is bench warming or missing out on squads altogether. A guy that can contribute when called upon, as we saw last night. It's not as if we're going to collect a small fortune for him in the transfer market, even though it is all profit as a fully amortised asset.

What I do admire about Lamela is that he is not protecting his body when he steps onto the field. He'll get into situations where he might get hurt and never flinches. Put it this way, you wouldn't want to go to war with Son or Bale on your side.

If you stack ranked priorities for our squad progression you probably wouldn't worry about an attacking midfielder that walks on a freebie next summer. A good guy that never complains when he is bench warming or missing out on squads altogether. A guy that can contribute when called upon, as we saw last night. It's not as if we're going to collect a small fortune for him in the transfer market, even though it is all profit as a fully amortised asset.

What I do admire about Lamela is that he is not protecting his body when he steps onto the field. He'll get into situations where he might get hurt and never flinches. Put it this way, you wouldn't want to go to war with Son or Bale on your side.

Classic...Son has had military training in the S.Korean Marines and came through with flying colours !!

And just as we agree that, he puts in a MOM performance (for many) and has the best game he's probably had in those 7 years lol!

was a good game but definitely not his best.

He's a good player when fully fit which is about 5% of the time.

15/16 season (had to google which one it was) he had a number of good games. Was our best player in Europa by a distance and our 2nd best creator in the team after Eriksen and our best presser I think. Was also by no coincidence the one season he had without a major injury.

I've long given up on him being an important player for us because he is so injury prone and even an 80% Lamela is fairly useless, but he has been a valuable player for us in small bursts when fully fit a few times.

Lamela always has the odd good spell in the games that are not crucial. Normally the early rounds of the cups.

He will then have a run of bad games in the really important games.

Then he will get injured.

Same cycle for 8 years. Rinse and repeat.

The club is a disgrace for giving him a new deal under Poch.

I still like him. Our main problem really isn't him...it is 7-8 of the other players also on the pitch with him.

I watched the City game again...yeah I hate myself I guess...

Lamela would drive up the pitch regularly...you know one of the few who actually was making an attempt to attack.... But pause the game as he moves up the pitch...and don't look at Lamela, look at the other players. (I like to do that to see the movement of our other players when they don't have the ball....) Kane running next to a defender or even two. Son doing the same. Lucas was as well. All the supporting players who were in front of Lamela and supporting the attack...were literally doing nothing to support the attack, but hiding next to defenders. They made no attempt to try and shake defenders. A few times I saw Kane and Son simply standing there NEXT to a defender and they did nothing. WHAT THE FUCK. Kane generally draws multiple defenders...so I tend to give him a pass...and he doesn't have the explosive pace to get away. But Son...that dude does.

And it isn't just when Lamela is driving the attack, Ndom as well...(though Amazingly Lamela is one of our better players trying to get open)

Listen Lamela has his faults...yes...but his game intelligence is very good. I cannot say the same for the others...

This team overall is fundamentally NOT sound and technically very deficient.

BL - We are broken

USA you can't build a title winning squad with players like Lamela. Its not possible.

Keeping players like Aurier, Dier, Sissoko, Lamela and Lucas shows a lack of ambition.

He isn't the only issue but he is part of the problem.

Nope I totally agree...Lamela isn't what we should build around...he is one the pieces. Every successful team needs bit part players who work hard. Lamela currently give us that.

Our problem is we currently have VERY FEW pieces of the puzzle in place.

I know my thoughts are not widely agreed with in the forum and I am cool with that. I just look at our team and....we have so many problems. This will be a very tough few years...at least I think.

USA you can't build a title winning squad with players like Lamela. Its not possible.

Keeping players like Aurier, Dier, Sissoko, Lamela and Lucas shows a lack of ambition.

He isn't the only issue but he is part of the problem.

Its extremely unlikely we can build a title winning squad.....full stop. We dont and wont have the money !! Maybe in the long term future but until then we have to accept we are also rans.

Last edited:
Nope I totally agree...Lamela isn't what we should build around...he is one the pieces. Every successful team needs bit part players who work hard. Lamela currently give us that.

Our problem is we currently have VERY FEW pieces of the puzzle in place.

I know my thoughts are not widely agreed with in the forum and I am cool with that. I just look at our team and....we have so many problems. This will be a very tough few years...at least I think.

I'd gladly give up his ill-disciplined hard work, for a significant increase in his 2% of quality. I guess after seven years it's more of the same old rinse and repeat RD mentioned.

Its extremely unlikely we can build a title winning squad.....full stop. We dont and wont have the money !! Maybe in the long term future but until then we have to accept we are also trans.
I have long given up on competing with the likes of City & Pool for the Premiership. However i do feel we can compete for the top 4 & a Cup. That's where we are i'm afraid. Title ambitions need to be placed on hold for the foreseeable.

I have long given up on competing with the likes of City & Pool for the Premiership. However i do feel we can compete for the top 4 & a Cup. That's where we are i'm afraid. Title ambitions need to be placed on hold for the foreseeable.

Where we are Steve is competing for a top 10 place, the Europa, and a forthcoming Cup Final against the best team around, who outplayed us by a distance. We need significant improvement in personnel and teamwork, to get back to where we were in 2017. We have gone backwards.

Its extremely unlikely we can build a title winning squad.....full stop. We dont and wont have the money !! Maybe in the long term future but until then we have to accept we are also rans.

Or maybe our owners should sell up and let someone else push for glory?

This waiting game shit doesn't wash after 21 years I'm afraid. Pandemic or not.