Robbo shocked at fitness comments... | Vital Football

Robbo shocked at fitness comments...

Spursex

Alert Team
..Can't say I was, nearly everything we've measured in the last two seasons has been heading down...

And the first thing 'leaked' to me that I said here was that he and his team were not at all happy with the fitness and health issues with much of the first team squad!

Incredible really that any player would admit to it as Reggie has done..

https://www.footballinsider247.com/robinson-shocked-by-what-hes-heard-from-reguilon-at-tottenham/

By Paul Robinson
24th Nov, 2021 | 5:00pm

Robinson 'shocked' by what he's heard from Reguilon at Tottenham Paul Robinson is “shocked” by Sergio Reguilon’s comments about training under new Tottenham manager Antonio Conte.

Last edited by a moderator:
Makes you wonder how much of the fitness problem was caused by what happened on the pitch. You do all that training so that on match day you can be at your peak and leave it all out there. If you don't leave it all out there, then your fitness levels don't nudge forward. The cumulative effective of that over 12-15 matches probably leaves a gap between you and your peers in the league.

What we've seen so far is one second half performance where we outrun Leeds. That was logical because the Leeds players had to do it for 90 mins. We low blocked for 45 mins and conserved our energy. It was almost rope a dope.

I think we're all expectant to see when we can do it for the full 95 mins. Might take a while.

This is why the players should get a lot of stick. Regardless of the manager you have to be in top shape as a professional athlete.

Those stats under Nuno were terrible. At least Fabio and Levy nipped it in the bud quickly.

Any professional athlete should always strive to be in peak physical condition but I guess if you start looking around you in a team sport and think "well he's not putting much effort in" then you are only going to do as much as the next person.
Then is just ripples through the entire group.

Any professional athlete should always strive to be in peak physical condition but I guess if you start looking around you in a team sport and think "well he's not putting much effort in" then you are only going to do as much as the next person.

In fairness, remaining at or close to your peak is not really a great idea; it can cause some serious issues, especially the heart and soft tissue issues (Eriksen may be an example of too prolonged a period of peak fitness/ coupled with intense playing time as an example from what I've read about his condition).

But by the same token, trying to play in the PL when you're not at close to your peak can be just as dangerous and will also cause underperformance issues.

That's what separates the gems from the cannon fodder. The winners will always be in peak physical condition.

Now the mentality part is a different animal.

In fairness, remaining at or close to your peak is not really a great idea; it can cause some serious issues, especially the heart and soft tissue issues (Eriksen may be an example of too prolonged a period of peak fitness/ coupled with intense playing time as an example from what I've read about his condition).

But by the same token, trying to play in the PL when you're not at close to your peak can be just as dangerous and will also cause underperformance issues.

Not many can play at a high level with great intensity.

Kyle Walker is one of the few that have managed it.

That's why nutrition, physio, rest really come into it. I would even put some life coaching into that list now.

this wasn't just a Nuno problem. We dropped down the distance covered chart with Poch. Then I feel it got worse under Jose (there were rumours the club weren't even doing the minimum fitness training under Mou).

Didn't Nuno even make the point that he didn't have enough training sessions with the team due to the fixture congestion? We didn't really have a proper pre season this year with so many back late from internationals, and Kane with none whatsoever.

I'm glad Conte is trying to sort it out - and Reggie's quotes remind me of the old quotes about Poch's triple fitness sessions. It just seems so blindingly obvious though it's amazing we let it get to this point in the first place.

Not many can play at a high level with great intensity.

Kyle Walker is one of the few that have managed it.

That's why nutrition, physio, rest really come into it. I would even put some life coaching into that list now.

There's a huge emphasis put on internal and external motivations now, but ultimately getting paid £10's thousands a week simply weakens the resolve of even the most ambitious; you can look at a player and assess if they have the technical skills and the motivation, but without that burning internal desire many simply don't drive on to the next level - it's a constant debate on coaching and scouting courses now, let alone among agents, who see that in Western Europe young players are simply not meeting their potential.

There's a huge emphasis put on internal and external motivations now, but ultimately getting paid £10's thousands a week simply weakens the resolve of even the most ambitious; you can look at a player and assess if they have the technical skills and the motivation, but without that burning internal desire many simply don't drive on to the next level - it's a constant debate on coaching and scouting courses now, let alone among agents, who see that in Western Europe young players are simply not meeting their potential.

That's interesting to me. To my eye watching clips of old games it seems to me that the players are far fitter than they were even a few years ago on average. The Kyle Walkers of the game used to be the freaks, now it's expected of every cheap random signing to be doing 12km a game in sprints or they're "unfit" or "not trying". Dele can rack up 11km in a game covering FAR more ground than VDV, Gylffi, Dempsey or whoever else might have previously played in that position but be called lazy by our fanbase if he shows any kind of frustration in a game when a move doesn't come off or a ball isn't played to him when he sprints.

I'd wager our team even at their least fit lately probably would have been one of the fittest in the league a few years ago. But the Poch's, Guardiola's and Klopp's have raised the bar high and the others have followed - so by comparison to other teams in the league our dip in fitness in the last 2-3 years is easily exposed in the stats.

That's interesting to me. To my eye watching clips of old games it seems to me that the players are far fitter than they were even a few years ago on average. The Kyle Walkers of the game used to be the freaks, now it's expected of every cheap random signing to be doing 12km a game in sprints or they're "unfit" or "not trying". Dele can rack up 11km in a game covering FAR more ground than VDV, Gylffi, Dempsey or whoever else might have previously played in that position but be called lazy by our fanbase if he shows any kind of frustration in a game when a move doesn't come off or a ball isn't played to him when he sprints.

I'd wager our team even at their least fit lately probably would have been one of the fittest in the league a few years ago. But the Poch's, Guardiola's and Klopp's have raised the bar high and the others have followed - so by comparison to other teams in the league our dip in fitness in the last 2-3 years is easily exposed in the stats.

What is interesting is that when Eriksen was number 2 for running in the PL, Gylfi was number 1. That was 2017.

https://www.90min.com/posts/4722915...n-any-other-premier-league-player-this-season

What is also interesting is that by 2020, this article came out

https://www.skysports.com/football/...ier-league-running-stats-this-season-revealed

So Dele Alli was one of only 5 to break the 13km barrier in a game.

I'm sure at the start of this season, Dele was running the most out of all of our players and it was between 10-11km.

Is it perhaps that Klopp and Pep get their players hunting in packs more defensively? They share the intensity and rest with the ball.

The shift in fitness levels over the last 5-10 seasons has been insane. As much as I enjoyed the Poch era, his undoing was burn out. He burnt out players like Kane, Eriksen and Dele and even burnt himself out.

These insane levels of fitness are totally unsustainable over a longer period of time. We've seen burn out with Man City under Pep, Liverpool under Klopp, us under Poch, Chelsea under Conte. I think there may be a good case for tactics being the main reason for burn out if a head coach isn't able to identify burn out and change things up so players can hit a mental reset with a new system or just change focus to a different style.

You cannot sprint a marathon, so I'm not sure why so many head coaches try to do it.

Not asking much...

Listen...this is their profession...this is their flipping J....O....B!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have absolutely zero patients for players that simply can't stay in shape. I understand injuries and players that are made of glass...sports at this level naturally weeds them out. (we see that all the time...players that can't stay fit...well they disappear)

The fact that Conte had to take drastic measures...is a testament to how poorly ran this club was.

He came in and found out quickly that we are filled with a bunch of overpaid, overvalued, spoiled asshats.

About time someone dropped the damn hammer, kick ass take names Conte!

The shift in fitness levels over the last 5-10 seasons has been insane. As much as I enjoyed the Poch era, his undoing was burn out. He burnt out players like Kane, Eriksen and Dele and even burnt himself out.

These insane levels of fitness are totally unsustainable over a longer period of time. We've seen burn out with Man City under Pep, Liverpool under Klopp, us under Poch, Chelsea under Conte. I think there may be a good case for tactics being the main reason for burn out if a head coach isn't able to identify burn out and change things up so players can hit a mental reset with a new system or just change focus to a different style.

You cannot sprint a marathon, so I'm not sure why so many head coaches try to do it.

Especially the ones with small squads. I remember Klopp holding Hendo back after the 2018 WC. He had the luxury where he could start his pre-season late, use him from the bench in Aug / Sep and only really bring him in close to Xmas. By May he was holding up the CL trophy.

That's why I worry about Hojbjerg now. The name you didn't mention was Dier. That guy went season after season patching himself up to play whilst the fragile ones in the squad were unavailable to Poch. In the end he got his natural rest because of the appendix and the issue that followed on from it.

Sorry on a roll here....

Fairly certain us with military backgrounds especially chuckle at this...though in a disgusted way.

Hold the players to a standard...those who can't meet that standard...good bye.

The standard at Spurs has been TOO LOW for TOO LONG...time to up the game bitches.

I alluded to this recently. High tempo, high press is not realistic over 90 minutes. A spell of 10 or 15 minutes can decide a game. I think a mix of tactics and the players in place to adopt them is preferable . Then you need a squad of quality for rotation.

Sorry on a roll here....

Fairly certain us with military backgrounds especially chuckle at this...though in a disgusted way.

Hold the players to a standard...those who can't meet that standard...good bye.

The standard at Spurs has been TOO LOW for TOO LONG...time to up the game bitches.

Morally I struggle with players being expected to burn themselves out and suffer injury as a result. It doesn't seem right.