Rivals' Transfer Activity | Vital Football

Rivals' Transfer Activity

Chronic

Vital Football Hero
A thread for rumours and transfer activity involving our PL rivals.

Any catch your eye?

I'm interested to see what Leeds do. The link with Buendia isn't surprising. He'd be a perfect fit there. They're also being linked with Amadou Diawara from Roma who would be a top signing.

Palace look to be in for wide players - Ryan Fraser, Eze and Deulofeu.

Villa likely to go for Watkins and Benrahma with Smith's Brentford connection - I'm sure they'd enjoy playing for him for 6 games.

Newcastle are after Conor Gallagher and Callum Wilson.

Everybody's after Josh King...

I don't think they will.

Somehow they're refusing to spend much, even fucking about getting the £30m Thiago deal done.

They're in for Jamal Lewis, which was a surprise. Though I was impressed with him at BL.

Looks like Tsimikas from Olympiakos is the LB they'll end up with though. He was linked with us too.

Lewis must be delighted a dream move to Liverpool fell through because of a ridiculous asking price. Bit of a lesson for hard balling Championship clubs to learn, Premier League clubs will just spend their cash elsewhere if they take the piss.

Leeds have extended Harrison's loan and signed the young forward Gelhardt for 1.5 million. They've already spent 20 million on Costa and Meslier and it's looking like they'll have to spend around 30 million on Ben White - so 50 million just to stand still. That's before they sign the big money striker they want, having failed with Jonathan David and Cavani.

Lewis must be delighted a dream move to Liverpool fell through because of a ridiculous asking price. Bit of a lesson for hard balling Championship clubs to learn, Premier League clubs will just spend their cash elsewhere if they take the piss.

Every time I see people talking about Norwich players, there always seems to be a missing decimal point in the valuation...

Leeds have extended Harrison's loan and signed the young forward Gelhardt for 1.5 million. They've already spent 20 million on Costa and Meslier and it's looking like they'll have to spend around 30 million on Ben White - so 50 million just to stand still. That's before they sign the big money striker they want, having failed with Jonathan David and Cavani.

Brighton have said that they don't want to sell White at all, and given that they are talking to West Brom about selling Shane Duffy, it looks like they mean it. Leeds are also likely to have to pay £18.5m for a player who wasn't even good enough for the Championship at some point as well. I find it hard to believe that FIFA will allow them to get away with not making the loan permanent just because COVID-19 delayed the month of their promotion. That would set a dangerous precedent at a time when the transfer market is already close to being against current employment laws. I'm also not convinced that they were ever after David or Cavani. I suspect that it was just paper talk, like when we were linked with Ribery and Adebayor. The most recent rumour I've seen is £7m for some guy playing in Romania.

Palace and Villa also said to be after Buendia.

Palace interested in Ismaila Sarr too.

Btw, how funny is it to see that little c**nt Ryan Fraser getting none of the big offers he anticipated. If he was decent enough to bother to play for Bournemouth and keep them up, he would've probably got those big offers. Serves him right.

I wish we were being linked with players such as Wilson and Buendia, or even Brooks - says something about our style of play

I wish we were being linked with players such as Wilson and Buendia, or even Brooks - says something about our style of play

Buendia and Brooks I get, although not at the prices being quoted, but do you really wish we were one of the teams after Wilson? When I read the tweet, I was glad it was in this thread and not our transfer rumours one. If he was rubbish at free-kicks, Liverpool would have let him go to an average Championship side for a few of million by now. See Tom Lawrence at Derby as an example of what I mean.

Buendia and Brooks I get, although not at the prices being quoted, but do you really wish we were one of the teams after Wilson? When I read the tweet, I was glad it was in this thread and not our transfer rumours one. If he was rubbish at free-kicks, Liverpool would have let him go to an average Championship side for a few of million by now. See Tom Lawrence at Derby as an example of what I mean.

Fair enough - but the point I am trying to make is that we are never interested in attack minded creative midfielders....our midfielders are selected for their workrate which is why we create so little and I guess that is why Freeman isn't making the grade.

Fair enough - but the point I am trying to make is that we are never interested in attack minded creative midfielders....our midfielders are selected for their workrate which is why we create so little and I guess that is why Freeman isn't making the grade.
Do attack minded MF's work hard enough for CW when the opposition have the ball aya?

The work rate and ball winning ability is what makes Buendia unique.

I really think we should try for him. He has everything we lack and would fit into the team.

I wonder if he just loses the ball too much for our management and their extremely safe approach? That might be why we don't appear interested.

Fleck is attack minded, as was Lundstram until he started to care more about his pass completion stats and only played safe, backwards passes instead. A player who stands around not doing much is never going to fit into our style of play, even if we were to go back to a 3-4-1-2 formation.

The work rate and ball winning ability is what makes Buendia unique.

I really think we should try for him. He has everything we lack and would fit into the team.

I wonder if he just loses the ball too much for our management and their extremely safe approach? That might be why we don't appear interested.

I would imagine it's the price and the position. Our priorities are a goalkeeper and a striker, which is looking like costing us £20m+ each, plus we also need another five or so players to improve the squad. We simply don't have the funds to also take a gamble that a winger could be easily converted into an RCM in our system because he works hard and likes a tackle.

Fleck is attack minded, as was Lundstram until he started to care more about his pass completion stats and only played safe, backwards passes instead. A player who stands around not doing much is never going to fit into our style of play, even if we were to go back to a 3-4-1-2 formation.

I would imagine it's the price and the position. Our priorities are a goalkeeper and a striker, which is looking like costing us £20m+ each, plus we also need another five or so players to improve the squad. We simply don't have the funds to also take a gamble that a winger could be easily converted into an RCM in our system because he works hard and likes a tackle.

I wouldn't really describe Buendia as a winger. Or if he is, he's not a conventional one at all.

I don't think he'd have any problem fitting into a sort of dual RCM/number 10 role with us making the necessary tweaks to be more creative.

If that didn't work, he could play behind the right CF.

Football wise I'd have no doubts about him.

The doubts are cost and priority, as you say.

But we might be able to get a CF for well under £20m, and raise around £20m through sales.

If we can guess at a net spend of around £50m, it could be doable.

A dangerous game buying players who have just got relegated - it very rarely works. I’ll exonerate Brooks because he missed nearly all the season - but, the way he plays, I fear he will keep getting injured. Buying Norwood 2 years ago made much more sense, he’d just got 2 promotions.
Let’s bring in players with a winning mentality, not those who are used to losing.
Just my personal theory of course.

I think it says more about our budget than our style of play. A player who catches the eye, has pace or can go past other players always cost more money. As a fan and not just a manager i am sure Wilder would consider the likes of Brookes and Buendia if he could afford them. Unfortunately without New investment or a few years of consolidation it is back to work rate over tachnique.

I think it says more about our budget than our style of play. A player who catches the eye, has pace or can go past other players always cost more money. As a fan and not just a manager i am sure Wilder would consider the likes of Brookes and Buendia if he could afford them. Unfortunately without New investment or a few years of consolidation it is back to work rate over tachnique.
The Burnley model over the Bournemouth model in a nutshell.