RIP The Bald Eagle | Vital Football

RIP The Bald Eagle

Paul Kannell

Vital 1st Team Regular
Great memories of the match at Joker Park, was in with the mackems as well, not so great memories of the 2nd leg.

RIP Jim

We were probably just about relegated when he came but made sure we finished bottom. Should have went up automatically the following season and finished third. the following season he resigned half way through and didn't Ossie come in as manager?
Like PK, I have some great memories, especially from going to away games no matter what the result. RIP Jim

You beat me to it, PK. Some of us had been reminiscing about that only a month or so ago.

Although he was at the club in turbulent times, he did a lot of good.

He brought in Micky Quinn, Geordie Pav, Budgie, Gavin Peacock among others.

He also introduced some local lads; Steve Howey, Steve Watson, Lee Clark, Kevin Scott, Robbie Elliott and a few more besides.

He may not go down as one of the greats but his contribution makes him one of the definite goods.

If Jim can look down from wherever he may be, thanks for the effort. There are plenty of happy memories.

Thoughts are with his family.

He Signed Roy Aitken in January 1990 and we were unbeaten away from home till about April when we lost 2-0 at Blackburn

You beat me to it, PK. Some of us had been reminiscing about that only a month or so ago.

Although he was at the club in turbulent times, he did a lot of good.

He brought in Micky Quinn, Geordie Pav, Budgie, Gavin Peacock among others.

He also introduced some local lads; Steve Howey, Steve Watson, Lee Clark, Kevin Scott, Robbie Elliott and a few more besides.

He may not go down as one of the greats but his contribution makes him one of the definite goods.

If Jim can look down from wherever he may be, thanks for the effort. There are plenty of happy memories.

Thoughts are with his family.

Never realised he signed Peacock, one of our best ever signings that, integral to our resurrection as a football club.

He Signed Roy Aitken in January 1990 and we were unbeaten away from home till about April when we lost 2-0 at Blackburn
Newcastle played 10 away games (11 if inc playoff) after Aitken was signed and only won 2 of them Mc. Back to back defeats at firstly Bradford, particularly, and then Blackburn, as you say, were in March and ultimately proved fatal to the promotion bid.

Thanks Finn for correcting my lapse, I was working away from home in those days and remember after Aitken was signed we went 10 games undefeated in the League and after the 2 consecutive defeats we had another spell of 9 games undefeated until the final day of the season and a bad defeat at Boro.

Thanks Finn for correcting my lapse, I was working away from home in those days and remember after Aitken was signed we went 10 games undefeated in the League and after the 2 consecutive defeats we had another spell of 9 games undefeated until the final day of the season and a bad defeat at Boro.
No worries marra. The Bradford one stuck in my mind as earlier that’s all but had to check the rest. I remembered a lot of draws. Kevin Scott at Wolves was a win that put Newcastle back in the hunt - primarily cos Leeds and Sheff Utd had each other to play and obviously both couldn’t win. Yeah that was a shocker at Boro - was at that one as well (bizarrely in the boro 100 club- but that’s another story). Slaven on the holgate end gates. Jeez what a crap hole that ground was. Well, the whole place actually.

It's strange how much you can remember from 30 years ago. We lost 1-2 at Stoke on Boxing Day when I took my lads. Chris Kamara was playing that day and I'm sure they were relegated the same season.

Indeed Mc - that was a last gasp defeat after leading until late in game. And yes- stoke went down along with Bradford and Bournemouth. And guess what? Yep. Newcastle lost away to all 3. 9 points down the Swanee. Basically the reason why promotion was lost, given the top 2 were 5 points ahead at the end with Newcastle a fraction behind Leeds on GD and having a superior GD to Sheff Utd.

In effect just 1 win and 2 draws in those games would have seen Newcastle promoted as champions. Newcastle led at Stoke and pretty certain led at Bournemouth as well.

Excellent recollections Finn, I probably went to as many away games that season as any other. And, without forgetting the thread title, when Jim Smith was manager

It's strange how much you can remember from 30 years ago. We lost 1-2 at Stoke on Boxing Day when I took my lads. Chris Kamara was playing that day and I'm sure they were relegated the same season.

Kicked off big time behind the away end just before the proper kick off at the Victoria Ground. Not very festive of them. Kamara not only played, he swayed the game, if not scoring.

Kicked off big time behind the away end just before the proper kick off at the Victoria Ground. Not very festive of them. Kamara not only played, he swayed the game, if not scoring.
Stoke. Enough said. ‘95 league cup immediately comes to mind.

Excellent recollections Finn, I probably went to as many away games that season as any other. And, without forgetting the thread title, when Jim Smith was manager
You got me thinking about living away. I had thought it was about the time of Smith but was in fact some months before. I was in London as was my sister. Now that I have had the time to check, it was actually September 1988, only a few months after I moved down.

To cut the story short, my sister put on a surprise birthday party. She had secretly sounded me out about the day and I told her I was planning on the Spurs game.

Come 3rd September, I was at SJP, followed by the Hotspur, 3 bulls and a few others. Meanwhile, 300 miles down South, a birthday party was held in my honour whilst they were waiting for me to get back from White Hart Lane. In the days before mobile phones, I only found out about the miscommunication when I got back on the Sunday night.

For the record, the result was 2-2, Andy Thorn and Darren Jackson scoring for us, "fish and chips" Waddle opening Spurs' account.

Waddle scored straight from the second half kick if I recall and Terry Fenwick (mackem from Seaham) made a lot of gestures to 'the corner' when he got the equaliser