RiP Ray Wilson | Vital Football

RiP Ray Wilson

Very sad, not many of that squad left now?

Only World Cup winner to play at Sincil Bank? 1970 I think, for Oldham, only 4 years after the final?

Only World Cup winner to play at Sincil Bank? 1970 I think, for Oldham, only 4 years after the final?

I don't know if this counts or not?

Nobby Stiles played in a testimonal match circa '71/'72. I have memories of Bobby Charlton kicking off the aforementioned testimonal game in the the ubiquitous sheepskin coat of the time and promptly returning to Andrews stand.

Yes, but I assumed we were talking about players who played at Sincil Bank AFTER they'd won the World Cup.

I imagine Jack Charlton played for Leeds at Sincil Bank in the 1950s and George Cohen may have done so for Fulham.

Watched Ray when he played at LB for Hudds Town and used to go to the same pub on a Friday night in Barkisland where he played dominoes with Jack Connor, Centre Half, and Gordon Low, Left Half. When he finished in football he became a Funeral Director - one of his lads was in the RAF near Lincoln and played for Coleby. RIP Ray a real gent.

Yes, but I assumed we were talking about players who played at Sincil Bank AFTER they'd won the World Cup.

I imagine Jack Charlton played for Leeds at Sincil Bank in the 1950s and George Cohen may have done so for Fulham.
Tbh don't think it matters, forgotten that a few of the squad would go back to the days we were 2nd div. Ray Wilson would have been the only one playing in a competitive match while in possession of a winners medal?

I don't know if this counts or not?

Nobby Stiles played in a testimonal match circa '71/'72. I have memories of Bobby Charlton kicking off the aforementioned testimonal game in the the ubiquitous sheepskin coat of the time and promptly returning to Andrews stand.
This is correct - Nobby Lawton's testimonial.