RIP Ray Clemence | Vital Football

RIP Ray Clemence

A sad day. Growing up supporting Liverpool he was a stalwart through my formative years and I never understood why Liverpool sold him when he was arguably at his very best. They've not had a keeper anywhere near as good until now.

Also my favourite England keeper and would have had well over 100 caps if we hadn't been blessed with such talent in the 70s and early 80s. As Phil says, oh to have a Clem, Shilts or Big Joe right now.

RIP Ray

A sad day. Growing up supporting Liverpool he was a stalwart through my formative years and I never understood why Liverpool sold him when he was arguably at his very best. They've not had a keeper anywhere near as good until now.

Also my favourite England keeper and would have had well over 100 caps if we hadn't been blessed with such talent in the 70s and early 80s. As Phil says, oh to have a Clem, Shilts or Big Joe right now.

RIP Ray
I always wished Greenwood had had the balls to stick with him instead of sharing it out between him and Shilton (who was good but far too short as the deflected goal vs Germany in 1990 proved). As you say, would have got well over 100 caps and IMO would probably still hold the record today.