RIP Ray Clemence | Vital Football

RIP Ray Clemence

muttley

Alert Team
Very sad news folks.....from the Official Website

We are deeply saddened to report the passing of legendary former goalkeeper Ray Clemence.

One of the greatest goalkeepers ever to grace the game, Ray joined us from Liverpool as a five-time league champion and three-time European Cup winner in 1981, having also lifted the FA Cup, League Cup and two UEFA Cups during his time at Anfield.

Upon his arrival at Spurs, Ray went on to clock up 330 competitive appearances for us through until 1987, helping us retain the FA Cup in 1982 in what was a memorable 1981/82 campaign where we reached the final of the League Cup, only to be beaten by Liverpool in extra-time at Wembley, and reached the semi-finals of the European Cup Winners’ Cup.

Capped 61 times by England, he later worked on our coaching staff, and that of the England national team, and was inducted into the Tottenham Hotspur Hall of Fame in November, 2014.

He passed away peacefully today following a long battle with illness aged 72, surrounded by his loving family.

A family statement read: “After fighting so hard, for such a long time, he’s now at peace and in no more pain. The family would like to say a huge thank you for all the love and support that he’s received over the years. He was loved so much by us all and he will never be forgotten.”

We extend our deepest sympathies to Ray's family and many friends throughout the game at this sad time.

So sad to hear we've lost another great football legend that gave so much to the game.
I had no idea he was so ill, but at least he's now at rest without pain and discomfort.

Thank you for the memories great man.

R.I.P Ray Clemence.

Damned cancer again; a few year back I played at a pro-am with him in my team and so I've known for a while he was battling prostate cancer.

RIP Ray, I hope your chipping improves now!

Last edited:
As every body else RIP Ray, what a keeper and gentleman and thanks for the memories.

Sadly though he was my 2nd fave Spurs Legend goalkeeper behind Pat Jennings.

Never the less departed so young, again RIP Ray.