RIP Matthew Crawford ("Fat Kid") | Vital Football

RIP Matthew Crawford ("Fat Kid")

Jules

Website Owner
Staff member
On the way home from work earlier a fellow Imps supporter crossed the road to inform me of the passing of Matthew Crawford, better known as "Fat Kid".

RIP.

Yep, RIP. I think many imps fans will have some anecdotes of encounters with him.

I remember a York away game where he ate the bus out of all the food that was available before getting into York fog the game to be called off. Coming back we stopped at Ferrybridge where he had the biggest Burger King order I’d ever seen.

Then, not long after I’d moved to Plymuff, me and the mrs went out to the Britannia Inn close to Home Park where argyle had played the slags earlier in the day, and most bizarrely saw him in there wearing a Mansfield shirt? He was certainly making his presence known.

Albeit he had his problems and newspaper reports followed of his NHS stays and nurses being attacked etc, he’ll remain an ‘almost’ celebrity of the imps.
And we called on him becoming manager at one point.

RIP lad.

As above, many of us will have anecdotes to relate, usually involving food.

For my part, we were sat behind the goal at Northampton way back when, with FK sitting on the front row. That day Nobby's were giving away free packets of crisps to us fans and I swear he managed to get a whole box full which he duly ate during the game!
On another occasion, I saw him abusing his father in the side shed thingy at Cambridge United's Abbey Stadium because dad wouldn't give him any more money for food! It was quite sad, really, and to think they are both dead now...

RIP Matt (and your dad).

Leading a chorus of 'who ate all the pies' aimed at Jon Parkin in the PO 2nd leg at Macc, without any sense of irony.

A sad, sad, waste. RIP.

When he was actually just a kid I saw him quizzing train staff about types of dmu and timetables whilst I was heading back to Herts on a Saturday night. Many years later and heavier, at the far end of Bournemouth he recognised me as a fellow Imp and asked if any others were in the local pubs. On an equally long trek to a ground he 'materialised' and recommended the pub with strippers in Wycombe. I think he was sofa-surfing in Sheffield when I last randomly saw and spoke to him. That was in 2016 in Bradford at the 31st memorial service for the fire. This event/date had some particular family significance to him but I cannot recall what.
RIP Fat Kid