RIP Joe Weider | Vital Football

RIP Joe Weider

SKEGGY

Bringer Of The Seasons
Arnold Schwarzenegger has paid tribute to his mentor and "father figure" Joe Weider, a leading figure in bodybuilding, who died at the age of 93.

Weider brought the young Austrian weightlifter to the US early in his career and helped him achieve the American dream as he became an international movie star.

The Canadian, who was a bodybuilder himself, helped popularise the sport and played a key role in introducing Schwarzenegger to the world.

Weider created one of bodybuilding's leading events, the Mr Olympia competition, in 1965 and reportedly discovered the Austrian at a contest in Europe two years later.

He relentlessly promoted Schwarzenegger, who won the Mr Olympia title a then-record seven times - every year from 1970 to 1975 and again in 1980.

Weider also created the Ms Olympia contest in 1980, the Fitness Olympia in 1995 and the Figure Olympia in 2003.

He spread the message of health and fitness worldwide with publications as Muscle & Fitness and Flex, of which The Terminator star is now the executive editor.

Weider's publicist Charlotte Parker said he died of heart failure in Los Angeles.

Following his death, Schwarzenegger said in a statement: "I knew about Joe Weider long before I met him.

"He was the godfather of fitness who told all of us to be somebody with a body. He taught us that through hard work and training we could all be champions.

"As I read his articles in Austria, I felt that he was speaking directly to me and I committed to move to America to make my vision of becoming the best bodybuilder, to live the American dream, and to become an actor a reality."

http://news.sky.com/story/1069039/arnold-schwarzeneggers-mentor-joe-weider-dies

(Can you halve that as above and link to the original please mate see:

http://www.astonvilla.vitalfootball.co.uk/forum/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=51191&posts=1 )

RIP Joe. Loved reading his articles over the years, always appeared a total gent and very much at the forefront of fitness and weight training.

An inspirational figure who will be much missed.

Lived his life to the full.

Another in the square of life!

I could but I did it via my iPhone yes TuBBz an iPhone not an android but an apple product! Problem about that? Want to fight? No! Sssshhhh then

much better Pride!

Must admit though, thought more on here would know of him. He was a leader in his field.

The Master Blaster is no more, the godfather of Bodybuilding, from the first moment I lifted a bar, he was the boss, the man we all listened to, his influence on the health and fitness of countless people is something I can only aspire to.

I can not mourn his loss at such an advanced age, but I will certainly celebrate his life and teach his lessons for the rest of mine.

Absolute Legend.

Although you aren't a fan of the mags, I'm sure the next edition of muscle and fitness will honour him nicely.

I remember they did an Arnie special years back and it was fabulous. Wish I'd kept it actually!

I used to be, before they became glorified supplement adverts, and started promoting the "steroid" workouts for those not on juice, the arguments I've had with those people, I couldn't even start to count the dangerous info I've pulled them up on, in reality the mags were more Weider Corp than Joe.

Yup. The one I highlighted in this thread somewhere did make me laugh. Ten sets or whatever it was.

And yes, he sold to a corp a good few years back and the adverts did takeover.

Used to read them pre brain op when I was young and learning, was surprised when I looked at them a couple of years back how they had changed.

I do like men's health and the men's fitness, but a lot of that is for reading about the endurance races and different events, and I do like transformation stories I must admit.

There are useful articles to be found amongst the bull, the trick is to know the difference : )