RIP Jimmy | Page 2 | Vital Football

RIP Jimmy

This team was in major trouble before we appointed Nuno...then we really didn't address our major needs during the window...then you know KATE.

I honestly don't think anyone could work miracles with this pile of shit.

Martin Samuel, in the Daily Mail today:

Jimmy was a natural. One year, he told me, he sold up and moved to Cornwall. He'd been on holiday there many times, loved it, and was working for Central Television.

He thought the commute up the M5 would be straightforward but had reckoned without the holidaymakers. By the end of August, the new home was sold and the family back in Essex.

'I didn't move house,' he said. 'I just took a summer holiday with my furniture.'

I met Jim in Nottingham Waterstones at about 6 p.m. when he handed me (and a queue of others) his then latest biography circa 2006. The queue was full of women collecting the book for their husbands, I assume. I strode up grabbed his hand and said "Hallo, Jim you are my greatest living hero. I ran on the pitch at the Lane when I was about ten, having jumped the enclosure wall and I clapped you on the back, possibly a bit too hard as you turned around and looked at me; it was big moment for me". He didn't react at first so I turned away with my book only to hear him speak to me again. I turned back and he said "What did you say your name was again". I said my name again and he stepped towards me and re shook my hand with a big smile for me. I walked out on air. RIP Jim.

Thanks Timbo, that grabbed me! What fantastic memories. How many times have u told both stories to the kids/gran'kids.
I never saw Jimmy play in a lillywhites shirt, Boarded the Orcades bound for Australia on November 30, 1961.

I saw his first game for the club , and I was at Crystal Palace for his last game .
I used to drink with him and Gillie in Chingford E4 on a lunchtime . Not actually” with “ him , but him and Gillie would be sat on bar stools and would always chat to us , like any other ordinary blokes would as you stood waiting to get served .
His apprehension at having to face Ron Yates at the next game was one of the funniest stories I ever heard .
Got to get up at the crack of dawn , get on a freezing cold coach , play the game , get kicked to fuck while he smiles at me , get beaten again , get on the coach again and get my bollocks frozen off , and go home .
Then Gillie piped up , “ best we have another one then mate “
Days that will never be repeated , superstars ? …… not in their heads .

Great man and full of fun and patience; like many others here I went to one of his shows and spent 45 mins on my own with him before it - it felt like it was 4-5 mins and he had myself and my brother laughing our heads off and also gave us some great insights into his life.

He was an absolute gent and a footballing legend., but most of all a very humble man., and for many a very courageous one, his fightback from Alcoholism was tough, but once he stopped he never touched a drop again.

As a very young lad can just about seeing him live in one game, I wish I'd been born 10 years before to appreciate what I now see in his clips.

As a younger fan I can't pretend to know too much about him other than him being this mythical legend with amazing goal scoring feats. 5 Live released a podcast today/last night dedicated to him and there was an interview with him that I realised about 10 mins into that I had been smiling the entire time. He really did seem to be one of those people who was capable of making those around him feel better.

As sad as these occasions are, I can't help but to be partially cheerful hearing the ex players and older fans recall those days. Especially being a Spurs fan, hearing this talk of those glory years when Spurs were such a great team and the names of other legends who were around in those times. It fills me with pride to support the club and they really do sound like such glorious, happy memories.

As a younger fan I can't pretend to know too much about him other than him being this mythical legend with amazing goal scoring feats. 5 Live released a podcast today/last night dedicated to him and there was an interview with him that I realised about 10 mins into that I had been smiling the entire time. He really did seem to be one of those people who was capable of making those around him feel better.

As sad as these occasions are, I can't help but to be partially cheerful hearing the ex players and older fans recall those days. Especially being a Spurs fan, hearing this talk of those glory years when Spurs were such a great team and the names of other legends who were around in those times. It fills me with pride to support the club and they really do sound like such glorious, happy memories.
meee you have got to also remember those were completely different days, better times in my mind anyway, compared to day, simple as that.

I’ve told the tale on here before , but I will tell it again .
My wife bought me a ticket to see him at Ferenham Hall in Fareham . She bought two , but my mate couldn’t make it .
She said she would come with me .
I had bored her to tears with my stories of how good he was , what a lovely bloke , and how I “knew” him from the pub .

We were sat in the front row , and he was stood on the stage and giving a fantastic talk , when he suddenly pointed right at me and said , there is a great friend of mine here tonight , …… I thought , “ kin ell , he remembers me “ , , only to realise that he was talking about the ex England centre forward Ray Crawford !!!!
He was sat next to my wife . !!!

He related the tale of the great team talks supposedly given by Sir Alf Ramsey at half time .
They were playing on a Saturday afternoon at Wembley and not doing so good .
At half time , he said , four or five of the team were in the bogs having a fag , Jack Charllton was on the phone putting bets on the horses , and Bobby Moore was ironing his shorts ready for the second half !
They won the game three nil and the press were marvelling at Alf for changing everything around .
Great bloke .
A privilege to have seen and met him .