RIP Jimmy | Page 3 | Vital Football

RIP Jimmy

I’ve told the tale on here before , but I will tell it again .
My wife bought me a ticket to see him at Ferenham Hall in Fareham . She bought two , but my mate couldn’t make it .
She said she would come with me .
I had bored her to tears with my stories of how good he was , what a lovely bloke , and how I “knew” him from the pub .

We were sat in the front row , and he was stood on the stage and giving a fantastic talk , when he suddenly pointed right at me and said , there is a great friend of mine here tonight , …… I thought , “ kin ell , he remembers me “ , , only to realise that he was talking about the ex England centre forward Ray Crawford !!!!
He was sat next to my wife . !!!

He related the tale of the great team talks supposedly given by Sir Alf Ramsey at half time .
They were playing on a Saturday afternoon at Wembley and not doing so good .
At half time , he said , four or five of the team were in the bogs having a fag , Jack Charllton was on the phone putting bets on the horses , and Bobby Moore was ironing his shorts ready for the second half !
They won the game three nil and the press were marvelling at Alf for changing everything around .
Great bloke .
A privilege to have seen and met him .

Walt, yr one of the best story tellers I've ever come across. Great stuff!

It's sunk in now...GREAVSIE THE LEGEND HAS LEFT THE BUILDING! RIP Jimmy.

I never got to see him play in person (became a Spurs fan in '67...long story, but a 10 year old became starstruck by the Mighty Tottenham Hotspur)...didn't go to my first game until 72 (thanks for moving south of the river parents!!). But enjoyed Greavesie on telly though...way ahead of his time (think he's number 3 after Messi and Ronaldo in European scoring...playing far less games. His legacy will live long in the memory!