RIP Gordon Banks - My hero... | Vital Football

RIP Gordon Banks - My hero...

Football has changed in so many ways since 1970 - you see better team goals than Carlos Alberto's scored in the Premier League most weeks - but that save from Banks against Brazil is still as jaw-dropping as the day it was made. A true legend, RIP.

Football has changed in so many ways since 1970 - you see better team goals than Carlos Alberto's scored in the Premier League most weeks - but that save from Banks against Brazil is still as jaw-dropping as the day it was made. A true legend, RIP.

I don't think anyone thinks we would have lost to the W Germans in the next game if Gordon had been in goal do they?

Very sad indeed RIP. He was much more than just a legendary goalkeeper he always seemed a true gent and thoroughly decent human being with no delusions of grandeur.

Yes, he was a real nice bloke, too. Often seen in Trentham Gardens with a group of other old Stoke players. Also used to see him playing golf when I was jogging across the golf course, and he would also give a smile and a hello

My dad often talks about this last minute penalty save from Geoff Hurst in 72. I think I read somewhere he rated this save higher than the Pele one.

Quite simply the best and greatest goalkeeper I have witnessed in 60 years of watching football. Not only a great 'keeper but a great gentleman as well. In this day and age when knighthoods are given like confetti to sports people , how on earth he wasn't knighted is beyond me . Win a tennis comp , win a few cycle races , and 3 football comps in a season and all three knighted . Yet win a WC , 600 appearances in the FL and 73 Caps and no knighthood ??? .

R.I.P Gordon Banks . This country owes you

I saw him play for Stoke at Coventry around 1970. I remember it well because we were going to see Gordon Banks play, rather than Coventry or Stoke or a football match. I can only think of one other player I went to see specifically in that way - George Best.

Had the honour to see him play against the Imps in the League Cup at Filbert Street 66/67 just a few months after the World Cup. We had done well to beat both Hull and Huddersfield at home in the earlier rounds. Got hammered 5-0.
RIP.

Did he ever play at SB ? Chesterfield, Leicester and Stoke are possibilities, he had retired after his car accident pre 1975 when Stoke visited and Shilton was in goal for them. Sadly missed.

Did he ever play at SB ? Chesterfield, Leicester and Stoke are possibilities, he had retired after his car accident pre 1975 when Stoke visited and Shilton was in goal for them. Sadly missed.
Unfortunately not. The only time Lincoln came up against a Banks team was that 5-0 defeat at Leicester in the League Cup.