RIP Frank Worthington | Vital Football

RIP Frank Worthington

Bumped into Frank in a Southampton hotel in the early 80's. Was booking into reception, bent down to pick up my case and accidentally collided with him. He was not at all interested in my apology, more involved in a conversation with the lovely receptionist. Anyway, I dropped my case off in my room , grabbed a beer & went into the restaurant. Suddenly an announcement burst out asking if Mr. Frank Worthington could come to reception, as there was a telephone call for him! What a show-off, but I liked him immensely.

What a incredible goal, different times .Frank was a showman a maverick one of quite a few in that era .RIP Frank you were a joy to watch and certainly not forgotten by those privileged enough to see some of your career on our screens or live.

I thought he was great entertainment at the Gills Sportsman Dinner at Priestfield, some funny stories to tell a great night all round

Asked who his toughest opponent was....
The Taxman....

Today imagine in England actually "allowed" the likes of him, Bowles and Currie to play in their "old boys club".

Oh man!! He was a fantastic player. Another entertainer denied caps because we filled our teams with dull players. Didn't he gueat for us in a pre-season friendly against West Ham in the early/mid 80's?

Frank was fortunate to play in era when we admired indiscipline though England managers didn't. Wonderful player and entertainer.

In my youth, when I had a better memory - I and nearly everyone else could name the stars from nearly all the top teams and we all had our favorites. These players seemed to stay with these teams for the most of there careers, only moving on when time was catching up with them.

Modern day footballs playing for top team's, I haven't a clue who most of them are or who they play for. Even when watching England, I would struggle to say who some of them played for. Maybe it's because I dislike the Premier League and what it stands for, or maybe times and what teams stood for have all change.

In my youth, when I had a better memory - I and nearly everyone else could name the stars from nearly all the top teams and we all had our favorites. These players seemed to stay with these teams for the most of there careers, only moving on when time was catching up with them.

Modern day footballs playing for top team's, I haven't a clue who most of them are or who they play for. Even when watching England, I would struggle to say who some of them played for. Maybe it's because I dislike the Premier League and what it stands for, or maybe times and what teams stood for have all change.
Was thinking that myself. I can name hardly any Prem players. I'd struggle to think of one from each team. Might think of a name and discover they've moved on to several other clubs since.