'Right to repair' law to come in this summer | Vital Football

'Right to repair' law to come in this summer

mike_field

Vital Football Legend
Appliances such as fridges, washing machines and TVs should last longer and be cheaper to run under new rules.
Ministers have confirmed that from the summer consumers will have a right to repair on goods they buy.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-56340077

For the DIYers this might be an interesting one to follow but the spares will have to be sensibly priced to offset the natural obsolescence point of tech.

Yeah, old man has done washing machine and tumble before, I've done our cooker twice. Can save a bundle for a bit of effort until you hit that point where the part is more expensive than just buying new.

I've never heard of this and always repaired/ modded electrical items (generally music stuff such as MPCs, mixers etc) LOL.

This is more about the ipad generation of gadgets. Since they started gluing things to together, instead of using screws or bolts, it's been tougher and tougher to repair anything.

I repair stuff on the side, for friends and family, and it isn't easy to get parts, either, sometimes. Laptop batteries are a prime example. They used to be so easy to replace, and now it's an hours work, with a chance you'll damage the case.

Money is getting tighter for me now, I think I'm going to start repairing things again. I've been in the habit of binning stuff and just getting a new one.
Some of the white goods I've put out for the scrap man still have the labels on.

Yeah, I'd noticed the tendency to glue things together now and disable easy access, be interesting to see how this changes designs now.

My dad repaired the hoover and washing machine many, many times.

I remember when he got the first car where you couldn't mess with the engine. He was most put out.

It does annoy me throwing away a perfectly good printer, because a new part costs £60 an a new printer costs £50.

Must have 3 printers in our loft that just need cartridges but a new printer was as cheap.

Cars my German uncle has an Audi 100 back in the early '70s when nobody knew what the hell an AUDI was. He used to mess with his cars at my Grans house every Sunday. He sprayed all around the engine bay with WD40, well unbeknown to him this Audi had inboard disc brakes, he went down the drive and straight across the road into the kerb!:ROFLMAO:

I had an old boiler that must have been installed in he house in the 70's. Right up until abut 15 years ago it was fine, passing it's service every year. Then, one part went on it, and it just wasn't available any more.

I was told the new boiler would have a 10 year lifespan. They actually told me that's what was expected now. It last 11 years.

I want that old boiler back, please.

Must have 3 printers in our loft that just need cartridges but a new printer was as cheap.

Cars my German uncle has an Audi 100 back in the early '70s when nobody knew what the hell an AUDI was. He used to mess with his cars at my Grans house every Sunday. He sprayed all around the engine bay with WD40, well unbeknown to him this Audi had inboard disc brakes, he went down the drive and straight across the road into the kerb!:ROFLMAO:

🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

I replaced the gearbox of my first mini. My friend's alternator went yesterday, and I thought about changing it for her, but then decided to keep quiet. Age has made me less inclined to bother.

I had an old boiler that must have been installed in he house in the 70's. Right up until abut 15 years ago it was fine, passing it's service every year. Then, one part went on it, and it just wasn't available any more.

I was told the new boiler would have a 10 year lifespan. They actually told me that's what was expected now. It last 11 years.

I want that old boiler back, please.
My Dad still has a working Prestcold fridge which is 6th months older than me, made in 1956/7 , now that's what I call reliable

They build in obsolescence now. On the upside, that's why everything is so cheap, and people do like new stuff. On the downside, it creates more problems getting rid of it.

My Dad still has a working Prestcold fridge which is 6th months older than me, made in 1956/7 , now that's what I call reliable

That's amazing, given how ancient you are. :throw::throw::throw::throw: It is certainly true that they knew how to build things back then.

I actually still like to have a go at repairing things. YouTube is very useful in this. I still hit dead ends, though. It can get frustrating.

🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

I replaced the gearbox of my first mini. My friend's alternator went yesterday, and I thought about changing it for her, but then decided to keep quiet. Age has made me less inclined to bother.

Oh yes, I have learnt not to mention I know anything about cars, I have to bite my lip sometimes when people are telling me about cars especially engines. I'm amazed at what people will attempt to repair without a clue as to what they are doing.
I've seen people attempting timing belt changes, and they couldn't time a boiled egg! The blank look when you ask did you change the tensioner, water Pump and FEAD belt as well while you had the chance?
I have even had people tell me they have changes the timing belt on a car I know has a chain, bullshitters

That's amazing, given how ancient you are. :throw::throw::throw::throw: It is certainly true that they knew how to build things back then.

I actually still like to have a go at repairing things. YouTube is very useful in this. I still hit dead ends, though. It can get frustrating.

You tube is brilliant always some smart arse had a vid on how to repair something,