Richardson | Page 18 | Vital Football

Richardson

For one he has made enough to date to be worrying about his financial future. This is rolled out every time someone in this greedy game jumps ship.
There are not many with the loyalty and backbone of our own Leam Richardson.
I understand the point if it was a manager from the lower leagues getting a chance at Stoke but moving like this only stinks to me in my opinion of greed.

Never met anyone in any walk of life that had " made enough "...

Serious question mate and I expect a honest answer and not one just to back up your stance on this....don't know what job you do but if a rival firm offers a better wage with better conditions and a longer , more secure contract would you accept or turn it down ?

If they'd shown me some commitment with contract length I might have reconsidered but there was no way I was missing out on a years guaranteed work whilst being able to live at home.
Some companies want it both ways. You reap what you sow.

My own ‘boring’ but perfectly true anecdote

My mate contracted in the nuclear industry flitting between Risley and Sellafield 25 or more years ago ….earned damned good money much to the annoyance and eventual fury of the Sellafield employees he worked alongside which started to boil over.
The manager got the regular staff together and said “OK, anyone who fancies it can resign from your job and start back next week on the same contract terms, but think on …..you go sick …you don’t get paid ….you can have 5 or 6 weeks holiday or whatever….but you won’t get paid …if we decide on Friday we don’t want or can’t afford you going forward …you’re gone …no notice ….no redundancy …..So …who’s first ?”

Unsurprisingly they all stared at their feet for a bit and shuffled off …..

Serious question mate and I expect a honest answer and not one just to back up your stance on this....don't know what job you do but if a rival firm offers a better wage with better conditions and a longer , more secure contract would you accept or turn it down ?

I know the question isn't aimed at me but sometimes one takes on a job with more money, better prospects, better security etc, only to end up hating the new job & wishing they'd stayed where they were. I've done that once or twice.

Also, you must factor in that football is an industry that if any manager starts to not deliver he's clearing his desk out quicker than you can say shut that door on your way out.
Yes but in Neil's case at Preston paid up to the end of his contract. On a million pounds year. It's another word theirs.

More or less, I agree, of course I would but I would put myself even lower than the lower league manager scenario.

Yes but in Neil's case at Preston paid up to the end of his contract. On a million pounds year. It's another word theirs.

Agreed, but in the end all roads lead to money. Maybe in some utopian world where it doesn't matter how much wonga is in your sky rocket but in this one it does.

You can have loyalty, in fact I love it....but, only upto the point of it costing me and my family.

It's a mute point though Jeff and in a way I think our opinions overlap a bit.

Football is an industry full of big money but we hear of former footballers going bankrupt through bad investment or being silly with it. We don't know Neil's personal financial situation, but he may not be as comfortable or set for life as we'd assume.

We don't know what Sunderland were paying, maybe he took a much lower salary than he wanted just to get back in the game and attract a new better club like he has. Maybe the rolling nature of his deal was what he wanted rather than Sunderlands choice as he never wanted to be there long term but Sunderland accepted that to help them just get up in the short term.

Also we don't know what goes on behind the scenes, maybe he doesn't have a good relationship with Sunderland' s owners, maybe they broke promises to him but clicked well with Stokes. Maybe Stoke promised him more budget and have greater ambition. In interviews over the last few week Neil has expressed frustration that the club hasn't got him the signings he wanted. So there was hunts he wasn't happy.

His family lived in the north west for years, maybe they still do and he is away from them or maybe they moved and they don't like it up there.

There could be other reasons at play than just his salary - although he is apparently going to get a massive increase which certainly won't hurt.

Last edited:
Wonder what pie eater has to say about this
Mutty what are your thoughts on this sunderland being your club

My own ‘boring’ but perfectly true anecdote

My mate contracted in the nuclear industry flitting between Risley and Sellafield 25 or more years ago ….earned damned good money much to the annoyance and eventual fury of the Sellafield employees he worked alongside which started to boil over.
The manager got the regular staff together and said “OK, anyone who fancies it can resign from your job and start back next week on the same contract terms, but think on …..you go sick …you don’t get paid ….you can have 5 or 6 weeks holiday or whatever….but you won’t get paid …if we decide on Friday we don’t want or can’t afford you going forward …you’re gone …no notice ….no redundancy …..So …who’s first ?”

Unsurprisingly they all stared at their feet for a bit and shuffled off …..
Aye, I've done a lot of locum work- well paid but as you say, no sick/ holiday pay, working from one week to the next and no guarantee of work ( though tbh it never dried up) . I went back to a permanent nhs contract as soon as I could.

Just in case anyone is still considering Neil "unloyal", just have a read of the Dingles thread, and feel free to speculate how many more poor games (not that we were particularly poor today) it might take before the first "Richardson out" murmurs are whispered ... or rather, yelled at full voice, accompanied by flying spittle.

Just in case anyone is still considering Neil "unloyal", just have a read of the Dingles thread, and feel free to speculate how many more poor games (not that we were particularly poor today) it might take before the first "Richardson out" murmurs are whispered ... or rather, yelled at full voice, accompanied by flying spittle.

That's hardly a comparison or you saying the above si you can say 'see I told you so' ??
On the Dingles thread it's more about certain players performances and the team selection, albeit a slight moan / whinge but I'm sure LR has a FAIR huge chunk of 'credit' in the bank for his previous few years

That's hardly a comparison or you saying the above si you can say 'see I told you so' ??
On the Dingles thread it's more about certain players performances and the team selection, albeit a slight moan / whinge but I'm sure LR has a FAIR huge chunk of 'credit' in the bank for his previous few years

All I was getting at Jock is that Neil was getting criticised for moving clubs and it was being suggested that our own manager is much more loyal.

However, it won't take many more results like today's to get some of our fans to be calling for the manager's head.

Managers don't always offer undying loyalty, as they know full well that it won't be given in return ....... neither from fans, nor from owners.

Richardson done a great job no mistake about that. But yesterday. It so much reminded me of a Paul Cook team. Changed a trusted style. Because we was playing Burnley. We made them look good. Yes they passed the ball around well. But there back four and goal keeper were very vulnerable and they couldn’t believe there luck when we started without a centre forward. Some one to rough them up a bit.

Richardson done a great job no mistake about that. But yesterday. It so much reminded me of a Paul Cook team. Changed a trusted style. Because we was playing Burnley. We made them look good. Yes they passed the ball around well. But there back four and goal keeper were very vulnerable and they couldn’t believe there luck when we started without a centre forward. Some one to rough them up a bit.

It probably did look like a Paul Cook side mate, but why would that surprise anyone as we all know that the driving force in the PC/LR partnership was Leam, as has been shown in the past two seasons.