Rhys Bennett | Vital Football

Rhys Bennett

On Wikipedia as a gills player. Nothing from the club, though.
Strange looking at the edit history on that page. It seems in the last 5 days people have edited his page to say he's going to either Northampton, Bolton or Gills. Currently stuck at Gills, but as mentioned, someone's fcked up the formatting/HTML code.

Would be a good signing IMO though if it were true. Evans knows him very well, and rates him highly. This is what Evans/Posh said when he signed for them 2 years ago:

https://www.theposh.com/news/2018/may/posh-make-second-summer-signing/

....so looks positive to me. I've no idea what the Posh fans think of him now though.

Only small concern is that he's a CB (that can play at RB), and we already have players in those positions. So maybe only a squad player pushing Oglivie, Tucker and Medley. I wonder where he'd be seen in that pecking order, and whether he'd be happy as a squad player.

I suppose if we intend on playing 3 at the back even more important to have 4 good CBs, as cover etc.

I suppose if he's very able cover at RB also, and given Oglivie is likely to be our cover at LB, he might make sense from a utility vs budget point of view.

Rhys would appear to tick the boxes as regards being able to play different positions.
Could it be subject to another deal being done for Ogilvie or Tucker perhaps?

Rhys would appear to tick the boxes as regards being able to play different positions.
Could it be subject to another deal being done for Ogilvie or Tucker perhaps?

I’m beginning to think similar Chris. We seem to be signing a few players that may replace young Jack (or Connor) if we get a significant bid.

I’m beginning to think similar Chris. We seem to be signing a few players that may replace young Jack (or Connor) if we get a significant bid.
Scally simply has to balance the books so I would be surprised if they are both with us in a week or two's time.In Jack's case a sell and loan back might be possible and would tick both boxes .Might be a very good move by a championship club.

Even if he has signed, that will only make 11 senior players, including loans, that we have signed up (unless I have missed someone):
Bonham, Jackson, Tucker, Medley, Ogilvie, Mellis, O'Keefe, Willock, Oliver, Akinde and now Bennett.

I may have forgotten somebody but there is no guarantee that any of last season's loanees (Graham, Roberts, Jones and O'Connor) will return so we are still short of bodies and could not afford to let either Tucker or Ogilvie go at the moment.

There is also less prospect of a queue of clubs, apart from Premier League, lining up for those two due to the way Covid has hit finances. No point in selling them on the cheap, particularly if it does NOT balance the books.

The transfer/loan markets are thriving around now, so with 5 weeks remaining I think we’re getting the starters in first then we can piss about signing fringe players on short contracts like last season.

Agree with holding out for Ogilvie and Tucker if the bids aren’t meeting our valuations. They understand we’re just holding out for ok offers, they’re free to go should they come in. In the meantime they can help our promotion bid.

If Ogilvie was to be our regular left back and Medley in Defensive midfield. Then we would need another starting centre back without selling anyone.