Rhead and Akinde | Page 9 | Vital Football

Rhead and Akinde

I was just about to comment on this. I hope he's walking about a few feet higher for a few days. He had a great game and even won a fair few Rheady type headers.

He was particularly effective in the first half when he had little or no support from the midfield.

His hold-up play was superb and, dare I say, he scored a goal which would have been beyond Rheady.

So glad to see him finally engage with the crowd too and the standing ovation.Brought a lump to the old throat.

So glad to see him finally engage with the crowd too and the standing ovation.Brought a lump to the old throat.
Hope someone got that on video? For a player that thrives on confidence that should have done it a world of good. Really hope he gets better and better now. The noise level alone will have let him know how much every fan was behind him, willing him on.
UTI !!!

Apology to syimp. I've just read the 3 things we learned today and I posted the same thing about doing his confidence a world of good on this post. I hadn't read your post until just now. At least we are thinking the same.(y)

Last edited:
One thing I noticed, and I think it has been mentioned before, but worth repeating maybe, is John's running style. I think his style is naturally languid, and one occasion stood out to me where he was running onto a through ball and the defender going with him looked like Speedy Gonzales busting a gut and John looked like he was loping along, but was clearly outpacing him. I would suggest that was John running full pace, but appearances can be deceptive and fans like to see the appearance of running like a blue arsed fly.
Just to add some balance though, last home game I saw Rheady run quicker than I remember for a while

I fully echo the view that JA's biggest problem is that he is effectively competition/starting ahead of one of the biggest characters, most effective and very popular players of recent years, so far as the fans are concerned. Imagine the poor sod that has had to fill JA's boots at Barnet....and then imagine if JA was still at Barnet and was being kept out of the side by aforementioned poor sod. If you ever read Adam Gilchrist's autobiography he remembers moving states as an unknown quantity to WA to replace a very competent and popular incumbent who was still on top of his game. Needless to say Gilchrist was booed into the middle by his home fans on debut. I wonder what happened to Gilchrist after that and if he was ever accepted by WA supporters.

Win aside, JA setting the tone with his challenge to win the ball back in the first five minutes followed up by an excellent finish and topped off by his ovation when he came off were the highlights for me. I'm delighted he has smashed through the glass ceiling and hope he can consolidate that in the games to come.

Thought the big fella put a real shift in. I've been a little critical of him, but yesterday was what I expected of him when we signed him. I was certainly on my feet when he went off.
Not so sure his abilities will ever match Adam Gilchrist though. Though I think we might be more easily pleased than Aussie cricket fans!

I fully echo the view that JA's biggest problem is that he is effectively competition/starting ahead of one of the biggest characters, most effective and very popular players of recent years, so far as the fans are concerned. Imagine the poor sod that has had to fill JA's boots at Barnet....and then imagine if JA was still at Barnet and was being kept out of the side by aforementioned poor sod. If you ever read Adam Gilchrist's autobiography he remembers moving states as an unknown quantity to WA to replace a very competent and popular incumbent who was still on top of his game. Needless to say Gilchrist was booed into the middle by his home fans on debut. I wonder what happened to Gilchrist after that and if he was ever accepted by WA supporters.

Win aside, JA setting the tone with his challenge to win the ball back in the first five minutes followed up by an excellent finish and topped off by his ovation when he came off were the highlights for me. I'm delighted he has smashed through the glass ceiling and hope he can consolidate that in the games to come.

It took a while....but they came to love Gilly and rightly so. He took the place of Heals. Another much loved character.

Thought the big fella put a real shift in. I've been a little critical of him, but yesterday was what I expected of him when we signed him. I was certainly on my feet when he went off.
Not so sure his abilities will ever match Adam Gilchrist though. Though I think we might be more easily pleased than Aussie cricket fans!

Perhaps Danny's calling out of his effort in the previous game had the desired effect?

I have been critical on many occasions about Akinde. And I feel my comments have been justified. However I have also praised him when he has performed well. Yesterday he had a particularly good game. One of things he did yesterday was chase lost causes. This is something he hasn't always done and has caused a lot of the criticism that he has got from the fans .It is quite obvious he has the ability and hopefully he can push on from here if he can keep this form up he will win all the fans over.