Return of the Tango Man. | Vital Football

Return of the Tango Man.

CarerKate

Vital Reserves Team
Gimmer tells me he is a big favourite of you all. Anyway he has returned to Southend for the big relegation battle. A bit late I fear to save them from the drop.

just looked at table, so Southend, Colchester and Walsall all in bottom 5.
sobering thought for Gills fans.

I dont want to see any of those go down, proper football clubs, not like Salford, Forest Green, Harrogate, Barrow etc.

at least ( Sutton aside) there are host of ex league teams looking to get back into the league I suppose.

To be honest I consider anyone who gets into the football league on merit to be a proper football club. It's kind of the point and joy of our football pyramid. I may be wrong but aren't Harrogate and Barrow in that category?

I agree it's different if they've bought their promotions.

Your attitude is a bit like the Prem wanting to ring fence the league for their clubs.

To be honest I consider anyone who gets into the football league on merit to be a proper football club. It's kind of the point and joy of our football pyramid. I may be wrong but aren't Harrogate and Barrow in that category?

Your attitude is a bit like the Prem wanting to ring fence the league for their clubs.

Barrow were a returning ex league club.
F long trips up there in the sixties.

I dont want to see any of those go down, proper football clubs, not like Salford, Forest Green, Harrogate, Barrow etc.

at least ( Sutton aside) there are host of ex league teams looking to get back into the league I suppose.
I’ve been following Southend results more closely this season and feel really sorry for them, similar sized club to us. I’ll probably get hammered for this and accused of having no ambition but I genuinely think we should be more appreciative of what Mr Evans and Mr Scally have achieved with such a small budget. Hoping Southend can turn it around but this appointment should have been made at least ten games ago.

Generally agree Octopus, with the exception of Barrow. Very much a proper 'old school' football club from a crap town like ours. I remember the Gills playing them and in particular a 1 1 draw in Div 4 circa 1971/2 (I remeber 'cos I missed winning the 'golden goal' prize by 5 seconds - the minimum iirc).

I’ve been following Southend results more closely this season and feel really sorry for them, similar sized club to us. I’ll probably get hammered for this and accused of having no ambition but I genuinely think we should be more appreciative of what Mr Evans and Mr Scally have achieved with such a small budget. Hoping Southend can turn it around but this appointment should have been made at least ten games ago.
Careful, you'll have AK on to you. Can't have anything positive to say about Scally.
:grinning:

Brown, who signed some members of the existing squad, will be assisted by his former colleague Ricky Duncan (Head of Academy) and Craig Fagan (Under 23 Manager), who played under Brown when he managed Hull City between 2006 and 2010.

i was vaguely aware of barrow being a league club but stuck them down anyway.

my completely unfair system ingrained into me, as that when i started to follow it, is that anyone who was in the league late 70s in a proper league team. Everyone else is a pretender!

Last edited:

If they get there on merit then thats a great story and fair play to them ( or us oneday maybe?) , but that's few and far between these days, local sugar daddies on an ego trip often bankrolling it. As scally says- lets keep it real!

Agree about all the teams you mention except Barrow. They were 4th division members for many years.

Brown, who signed some members of the existing squad, will be assisted by his former colleague Ricky Duncan (Head of Academy) and Craig Fagan (Under 23 Manager), who played under Brown when he managed Hull City between 2006 and 2010.

Craig Fagan also played for us

The teams that aren't proper Clubs are mostly "Rich Men's Toys" and are playing in the top two divisions.

i was vaguely aware of barrow being a league club but stuck them down anyway.

my completely unfair system ingrained into me, as that when i started to follow it, is that anyone who was in the league late 70s in a proper league team. Everyone else is a pretender!
I think this is true about all of us. We define the proper football league and the social hierarchy within it at a certain time in our lives. This is how my father could maintain that Charlton and Brentford were first division material and Leeds and Liverpool nouveau. For me, Barrow and Bradford are proper clubs and a return to normal for Forest and Wednesday is always just around the corner.

[QUOTE="a return to normal for Forest and Wednesday is always just around the corner.[/QUOTE]

Id welcome that!

Forest were too good to down it was said all that season if I remember correctly? Quite ironic they haven’t been god enough to get back since!