Retained List | Page 2 | Vital Football

Retained List

I've never seen Williams play, so can't comment on his abilities.
It does seem a risk given his recent injury record, but if he is as good as the hype it could prove a worthwhile risk. Remember Gordon Watson had had serious injury problems before coming to Pools!
Hopefully on a pay when play deal, or only a short term contract with opportunity to extend.

Featherstone has now signed up for another season, at least, he can show quality from time to time but for me Pools needed to move him on as he has accumulated too much negative baggage amongst the fans during his six seasons to date!
Guess we won't be seeing that physical dominant central midfielder the team has needed for the last 7 years.

Featherstone has now signed up for another season, at least, he can show quality from time to time but for me Pools needed to move him on as he has accumulated too much negative baggage amongst the fans during his six seasons to date!
Guess we won't be seeing that physical dominant central midfielder the team has needed for the last 7 years.

Yes Featherstone is inconsistent and has a tendency to give the ball away in crucial areas. I would have been pleased to see the back of him.

We’ve kept the same players who, under Hignett, have W6 D5 & L5 out of his 16 game tenure. If and it’s a big if, we carry that right through next season we will end somewhere between 65 & 70pts. Outside the playoffs but in the top ten. Is that a successful season or with a little higher aspiration and more ambition could we achieve more? I believe we could.

We’ve seen what this bunch are incapable of now it needs change to move it forward, if we stay the same, playing personnel wise, we’ll get the same results. The worrying thing is [most] clubs that come into or are already here are constantly improving, can we in all honesty say we are?

Hawkes & Holohan have got to be major players next term as does Raynes, the rest is the same old same old.
:red:

I don't think HUFC's management is short of aspiration and ambition. The problem is that any player available, affordable and willing to join HUFC is going to be a risk. That's the nature of players at this level. We could get shot of all the current players, bring in a new set, and be worse off than we were before. I'm happy to change, and hopefully improve, bit by bit. If we were to finish next season in the top ten that would be a huge improvement for me. Then a few more recruits could possibly make a team capable of promotion.

What I was trying to get at was that we are making relatively new signings but will we have the bottle to use them from the start? The lack of ambition I was alluding to is the initial starting eleven will contain Donaldson, Featherstone, Noble, who have already proved what they can achieve. What it needs is Holohan, Hawkes and Molyneux and maybe White.

It definitely needs changing, we’re not doing ourselves justice otherwise.

Agree with your concerns Billy2, can't see Featherstone Noble and Donaldson being content to sit on the bench week in, week out. Similarly, Magnay should he sign.
Certainly would expect new signings to be first choice players, or why sign them?

Anyhow, we still need a dominant central midfielder and a left back adding to the squad to date.
I'm still of the opinion that one or two players will yet leave for EFL clubs before transfer deadline. Time will tell!

With the signing of Gus Mafuta we now, appear to have the combative midfielder we've needed for a long time.
Starting to get positive hopes for next season.

Ahh but it is the hope that kills you! Seriously, we have a whole bunch of new players who potentially should improve the team. My only concern is we have still held onto too much dead wood. The wage bill must be astronomical so I wonder if half way through the season we'll hear stories of financial problems.

True it is the Hope that kills, but within the human condition Hope is what drives us to greater attainment.
Raj's statement on the Pools website is positive, and would appear to negate worries that budgets have not been adhered too.

I think if the product is good people will pay for it. It’s looking like Raj is willing to reinvest and for those actions by Raj so are the fans. It’s now up to Hignett to get it right where it matters, during the ninety on a match day/night.

No idea what his plans are but he should stand by his signings from the off and leave any knee jerk reactions to others, if it’s not working to plan at first, give it time for players to adapt.

I think Hignett could possibly have given himself more problems than solutions unless he becomes ruthless and relentless in pursuit of promotion.
Surely we have to see a different pools to what we have been watching?

I really want to see a more determined effort this season from all the players in every game.
With the exception of Killip, nobody should be guaranteed a starting spot, which bodes well - I think.