Retained List | Vital Football

Retained List

Old Poolie

Vital Squad Member
Not the wholesale clear out I would have liked to see, but Hignett knows more about players and systems than I do.
Worryingly if the eight currently in negotiations all agree terms then Pools will have a squad of 19 - which, I assume, won't leave room for many new recruits.

Of course not all of the eight will accept the terms offered, and it is possible that one or two others may go for a fee to EFL teams.

As you say OP some of the eight will want away. Then I assume that Hignett has transfer targets that may or may not be available and willing to come to HUFC. Negotiations with some of the eight may be working on the assumption that they are just in case the relevant target doesn't work out.

Holohan, Loach and Anderson will hopefully stay. I have a soft spot for Featherstone, there is a decent player in there somewhere. The rest can go for me.
:red:

As you say Billy2 it would be good if Loach, Anderson and Holohan were retained for next season.
Hignett has said in his latest blog that offers made are time conditional, hopefully no longer than the end of May.

Anderson signing is decent news, he’s a player who will improve given the opportunity. What’s the story with Raynes?

Donaldson has now taken up offer of a new contract as well.
Squad is starting to shape up, nicely(?), but I would like to see a couple of new recruits. Hopefully there is room in the budget.

Not sure what the story is with Raynes, though with his recent injury record I'm not sure he'd be a good signing.

Last edited:
Err! Called it wrong with Raynes - on OS he has been signed up by Hignett.
A good signing, if he remains fit.

Raynes’ signing sort of justifies Anderson’s signature. Both good additions.

Not a fan of Donaldson at all, would have preferred to share his wages between a goalkeeping coach [who could get the best from Loach] and Loach. If we play Donaldson anywhere other than wide right we may as well play with ten men and settle for mid table, at best, before a ball has even been kicked.
If Hignett is concerned that his position will be threatened if we don’t make the playoffs his worries are over, he’ll struggle to get past the coming winter of discontent with Donaldson first of all on the pitch and secondly as captain.
If we end up doing the same things why are we surprised if the outcome isn’t any different. The season Donaldson was injured we finished two places higher than we did this season, where he played almost every game.
Yes it’s only one spin but has he made us better? Featherstone next, not so much a bad thing, but if we end up changing nothing, nothing will change.

Raynes’ signing sort of justifies Anderson’s signature. Both good additions.

Not a fan of Donaldson at all, would have preferred to share his wages between a goalkeeping coach [who could get the best from Loach] and Loach. If we play Donaldson anywhere other than wide right we may as well play with ten men and settle for mid table, at best, before a ball has even been kicked.
If Hignett is concerned that his position will be threatened if we don’t make the playoffs his worries are over, he’ll struggle to get past the coming winter of discontent with Donaldson first of all on the pitch and secondly as captain.
If we end up doing the same things why are we surprised if the outcome isn’t any different. The season Donaldson was injured we finished two places higher than we did this season, where he played almost every game.
Yes it’s only one spin but has he made us better? Featherstone next, not so much a bad thing, but if we end up changing nothing, nothing will change.

Loach will have had lots of coaching throughout his professional career so if he still hasn't grasped what is required he never will: he just hasn't quite got the full range of goalkeeping skills. He is an excellent shot stopper but as we all know he struggles with crosses and sometimes cant decide whether to come out or stay on his line. I think he is a very good keeper at National League level so if we can keep him we should do so.

I think with Loach part of his uncertainty on crosses into the box comes from the fact that the centre halves, last season, changed almost weekly. Not to mention the dubious quality of the centre backs in his first season, Laing and Harrison!
Perhaps with a settled centre back pairing, of decent quality, we might see Loach improve.

We’ll never know, club makes swift change in between the sticks as Killip comes in and Loach’s departure is announced

Good to see that the club have had an alternative lined up, not the usual combing the released lists to see who's available at the last minute.
Killip seems to fit the profile of Raj and Hignett's plan of bringing young players in and developing them.

It would be interesting to have a peek at Hignett’s wanted list, see which positions we are looking to fill and who with.

Assuming tomorrow is deadline day for out of contract players to make their minds up - wouldn't be too disappointed if none of them re-signed

Noble re-signs, must admit out of a midfield of Noble, Donaldson and Featherstone I would have preferred the previous two to walk and Featherstone to stay but as he is yet to sign, he may be the one who walks.

Hopefully first choice will include Hawkes, Holohan and Bale with the aforementioned last years favourites making up the numbers.

My prediction: it’ll probably start the same as it ended last season and change just before Christmas, then again I’ve been wrong before

Waiting to see what new signings are brought in, Hignett acknowledged the need for pace and physical presence, to date Pools are yet to replace Molyneux's pace in the midfield / forward areas. Midfield lacking the physical 'hard man' who can dominate opposition.
Time will tell!

Luke Williams signs another contract, I reckon he owes a bit of back rent from last term, so he needs to be twice the player he was at 19 in those 7 appearances all those years ago.