Retained List | Page 2 | Vital Football

Retained List

I suppose that the first question is, will Killip sign the new contract he's been offered. His stock will be high after being our first choice keeper during promotion season and he may be able to get a good contract closer to his home.
You only have to look at Covolan joining Port Vale from Torquay.

Ben Killip can be brilliant at times but he has his critics and he certainly can be a bit flakey. On more than one occasion he has conceded goals by coming to the edge of his box and not communication with his defender. We saw that at Eastleigh in the first couple of minutes this season and I saw it personally at Dagenham and Redbridge last season when we lost 3-1. Dave Challinor would have seen it as a spectator when we drew 2-2 away at with Notts County. Then of course he palmed the ball into his own net (away at either Halifax or Altrincham, cant remember which). He has also been dropped by DC on more than one occasion. All in all I think DC would prefer a more reliable keeper so if the Carson rumour is true Killip will become second choice if he stays at the club.

Last edited:
Opinions, opinions. We'll have to wait and see. I should imagine Killip will be inundated with offers if Pools let him go.

The Mail has said this: "The 25-year-old played a key role in Pools’ promotion charge in the National League so far this season, keeping more clean sheets than any other goalkeeper in the division prior to his season ending elbow injury"

As you say, it is all about opinions and the one opinion that really matters is that of Dave Challinor. We'll just have to wait and see.

True, and Raj Singh's as well as he holds the purse strings. Killip is an OK keeper but he is by no means the best Pools have ever had so I am guessing his offer will reflect that. I am sure Dave C would like him to stay but it would not be the end of the world if he chose to leave. There are other players who it would be much harder to replace if they were not to accept what has been offered.

I think it would be a big loss if Ben Killip moved on. We've already lost Johnson and Cass from the back line. As stats show, whether or not he's the best keeper Pools have ever had (a strange comparison as this includes keepers we had at League 1 level) he's the keeper with the most clean sheets in our recent league. If we can't afford to make Ben an offer that he would accept, how would we tempt a better keeper to sign, even if one could be found?

With Killip I'd anticipate that any offers from a club in the South might prove attractive to him, opposed to accepting an offer to stay with Pools. His reputation must by fairly solid given his performance last season, so I'm sure there will be choices to be made.

Interesting that goal keeping coach has left, so perhaps any, alleged, offer to Scott Carson might include those duties too!

I think it would be a big loss if Ben Killip moved on. We've already lost Johnson and Cass from the back line. As stats show, whether or not he's the best keeper Pools have ever had (a strange comparison as this includes keepers we had at League 1 level) he's the keeper with the most clean sheets in our recent league. If we can't afford to make Ben an offer that he would accept, how would we tempt a better keeper to sign, even if one could be found?
Do you think all the clean sheets were purely down to his brilliance or do you think the fact he was playing behind a fairly solid defence had anything to do with it? It is a long time since we were in league One so I wasn't thinking of the likes of Carter or Hodge more along the lines of Scott Loach and yes, Trevor Carson. If the Carson rumour is true we have already found a keeper better than Killip.

Last edited:
With Killip I'd anticipate that any offers from a club in the South might prove attractive to him, opposed to accepting an offer to stay with Pools. His reputation must by fairly solid given his performance last season, so I'm sure there will be choices to be made.

Interesting that goal keeping coach has left, so perhaps any, alleged, offer to Scott Carson might include those duties too!
Interesting idea though Trevor Carson is only 33 which is not that old for a keeper. I wonder if he would be thinking of moving on to coaching at this comparatively early phase in his career. A guess stranger things have happened. Anyway nothing but silence coming from the Vic regarding new signings so we'll all have to wait. I am sure Dave and Raj have everything under control.

Yes, very possibly Ben K might want to move south. I didn't realise until now that he was a Londoner.

Do you think all the clean sheets were purely down to his brilliance or do you think the fact he was playing behind a fairly solid defence had anything to do with it? It is a long time since we were in league One so I wasn't thinking of the likes of Carter or Hodge more along the lines of Scott Loach and yes, Trevor Carson. If the Carson rumour is true we have already found a keeper better than Killip.

Clearly the defence had something to do with the clean sheets, yes. On the other hand the clean sheets do suggest that BK was slightly more than an 'OK keeper'. We need Mad John to break down the stats for us. We should tempt MJ out of retirement forthwith.