Retained List | Vital Football

Retained List

Old Poolie

Vital Squad Member
Apparently DC has said he'll be telling the players their future at Pools this week.

With such a short time to assemble a squad ahead of the season start I'd anticipate that retaining as many of Sunday's starting 11 will be crucial. The retention of Liddle, Featherstone, Sterry and Oates are, for me, a must if we are to progress.
I'm still concerned by the lack of time before the start of the new season, as I can see the players being physically and mentally exhausted ahead of what will be an intense start to the season.

I agree with your list though worth noting that both Liddle and Featherstone are both in their mid thirties, can they last a busy season? Do we need to sign players who can cover for them ? Not easy as they are both exceptional players. According to the Mail, Armstrong is likely to be going to Harrogate. I wonder why? Have they made a bid for him that we couldn't or wouldn't match? I presume Salford would sell to the highest bidder. I thought Armstrong was keen to stay with Pools but it seems he was happy to go to Harrogate. It will be interesting to find out what happened. A shame but not the end of the world.

Football teams are organic, in that they are (or should be) constantly evolving. Hence if a player leaves or doesn't sign on then it isn't the disaster some would have you believe. Signing Armstrong would be good business for Pools, but if the transfer fee or his wages are deemed too great then we just have to accept this and move on.

In terms of the aging Liddle and Featherstone, they will provide continuity and experience at the outset of the season whilst younger replacement are identified and bedded into the club. The concern is that after last seasons heroics by them both that they are coveted by other teams in the NL who are willing to improve on Pools offers.

Luke did well for us but was deemed surplus to requirements by a not all that good L2 side so maybe he's not up to the job at the slightly higher level. Hopefully DC has planned for promotion and has a shopping list of decent players. Having spent a couple of seasons in the National with us and previous DC will know of some players at that level that might be persuaded to join us. Maybe Bennet ? He will also be looking at loans again but they won't become available until later on. I expect us to struggle early on but hope DC is given the chance in the longer term.

Richie Bennett seems a perfect fit to our playing style, good in the air and great at holding the ball and making life hell for defenders. If we can get him he would be a great signing. Armstrong is a bit quicker than him but you cant have everything.

Football teams are organic, in that they are (or should be) constantly evolving. Hence if a player leaves or doesn't sign on then it isn't the disaster some would have you believe. Signing Armstrong would be good business for Pools, but if the transfer fee or his wages are deemed too great then we just have to accept this and move on.

In terms of the aging Liddle and Featherstone, they will provide continuity and experience at the outset of the season whilst younger replacement are identified and bedded into the club. The concern is that after last seasons heroics by them both that they are coveted by other teams in the NL who are willing to improve on Pools offers.
I cant see either of them dropping to the NL again unless they are out of our first team and struggling or the money was huge which is not that likely after all there is not that much money around in the NL. Having said that, I wonder if the offer of a a player coach job would be of interest to one or either of them?

I see Richie Bennett has been released by Stockport. Also, Harrogate have signed striker from Maidenhead.
Might impact on Pools planning?

Yes I saw that. Bennett was on Stockport's retained list so I presume he asked to be released for some reason. I was also checking the Harrogate website for any announcements and saw they had signed the Maidenhead striker. Of course it doesn't mean they wont sign Armstrong as well but if the Mail story had any substance, it seems Harrogate are dragging their feet to say the least. Still waiting for Pools retained list. It was supposedly out at the end of the week, dunno if that means Saturday. I guess it would be a bit of a dampner if some of the squad were released and then went on an open top bus parade. I presume they'll have the parade first.

DC in the Mail makes it clear that Pools budget is well below most others so unlikely Bennet will be coming to us. Unless DC is bluffing ?

My impression of the story in the Mail regarding budgets was that these were comments made before we'd won promotion - so there might be a bit more money in the pot!

I'd also seen a story, in the Chronicle, linking Pools with loans for a couple of Newcastles academy / development squad players. If they are of the same calibre as Cass they could be useful additions.

Yes, the comments from DC about Richie Bennett's wages was before we were promoted and anyway, if and its a big if he signed for Pools it would be a new contract so the wages would not necessarily be the same as Stockport paid him. Having said that, the guy has to make a living so he wont come cheap. Anyway, all just speculation at this point. As for the Newcastle youngsters, it would be great if they were as good as Cass but I guess you just cant tell with young ones till they have been exposed to men's football. Parkhouse (I know he wasn't from Newcastle)was woeful.

Confirmed that Armstrong has signed for Harrogate Tn.

My concern is still that Pools don't have sufficient time to prepare for the new season, I doubt that DC and Raj have yet been able to finalise a budget for squad creation.

I have made another thread on the perplexing story of Luke Armstrong who I genuinely thought of as one of our own. I share your concerns about lack of preparation time. As they say, "fail to prepare, prepare to fail". I hope not.

According to the Northern Echo, Ryan Johnson is to sign for Port Vale.

Looks as though the promotion winning team won't be staying together for the coming season in League 2

Full retained list now on the OS, no surprises, but a lot will depend on whether players offered terms for next season accept them, or not!

Got to trust in DC to identify new recruits for next season - his recent record is pretty good.

No real surprises in the retained list though Ryan Johnson going to Port Vale is a bit unexpected, I presume they offered him a better deal than Pools were prepared to offer. It seems evident Luke Williams is never going to be fit enough to play on a regular basis and when he has played hasn't really looked impressive. The others have not featured for quite some time. So I guess we need another goal keeper, at least one more centre back and a replacement for Luke Armstrong. Of course, as you say OP, that assumes those discussing contracts all sign.

Carson is a good reliable keeper of the type we haven't had for quite some time. He would be a good signing if the rumour is true.

Whilst I thought Carson was excellent when he was at Pools previously, I'm not sure I'd be so keen to see him returning.
I'd prefer to see someone of greater stature who can dominate his box.

How would a return of Carson work, then? Ben Killip has been instrumental in our success this season so it's not easy to see how he could be relegated to second choice keeper. And surely Carson wouldn't agree come back as reserve keeper?