Retained List | Page 6 | Vital Football

Retained List

There has been a trend over recent years for clubs at our level to reveal less about the terms of contracts and transfers. This will be accelerated by the effects of the pandemic and the uncertaintly of exactly how the new season will begin. A few weeks ago I'd have been reasonably confident of full scale attendance in August, less so now. It's unclear when a definitive call could be made on this because there are too many variables and some, the progression of new variants and government responses, are outside our control.

It's hard to see how clubs like ours can commit to engaging a full squad under the usual terms with such uncertainty about revenue. It's equally hard to set ticket prices and that bears on the situation too. I really wonder what may go on behind the scenes. Is it possible that agents and clubs will negotiate alternative contracts, which depend on the situation on first game of new season. The best players and their agents will always dictate terms but the rest may take some certainty over none.

As a journeyman player do you sign an interim contract in the hope of a normal start with less good terms but an easy release clause if things pan out differently. You could sign an alternative contract alongside that one on better terms, which would apply in the event of normal service being resumed. A simpler approach would be to introduce attendance clauses.

Perhaps Bonham is happy to be a number two at a championship club.With the possibly of getting a chance to win the place in the team.

If Scally is looking for profits from the sale of players, we need a decent youth system.

I don't know how long young Jack Tucker's deal has to run, but I would guess that the terms are comparatively modest and he is only 21 so providing we offer him a renewal on at least the same terms, even if he is not willing to accept, any purchaser would have to pay us compo.

The only inward transfer income we received this year was for Joe Walsh who is also a youth product.

Dack, Egan and Hanlan were all very young when they were released by Charlton and Sunderland so they would have originally signed on modest terms and we were the club that developed them as first team players.

Connor Ogilvie is 25 and was only released by Spurs 2 years ago and Graham and Samuel clearly were only interested in short term contracts to attract bigger clubs - no way were we ever going to cash in on them.

Akinde attracting interest according to KOL. And Maghoma from Scotland
Big John is an absolutely perfect battering ram for league two.
Great to have as an option.
He’ll move on for a longer deal.
Good on him at his age.
I just wish he’d started with us as he finished.

Big John is an absolutely perfect battering ram for league two.
Great to have as an option.
He’ll move on for a longer deal.
Good on him at his age.
I just wish he’d started with us as he finished.
The article says he still has two years left on his contract! But yeah, he’s got to get interest given he started a lot of the second half of the season and performed well. It’s just whether they can agree to similar terms to what he’s already on.

It would be great to free up his wages but with thanks, I like him.

The article says he still has two years left on his contract! But yeah, he’s got to get interest given he started a lot of the second half of the season and performed well. It’s just whether they can agree to similar terms to what he’s already on.

It would be great to free up his wages but with thanks, I like him.
You misread it Trev.
It says he had a year left but likes having the security of two, for his family.
Anyone who offers him two years on not too much of a salary drop will get him.
BFSE it happy for him to stay as a squad player.
Big John won’t like that.

EFL rumour mill saying that Hull are making a bid for Kyle Dempsey.
A couple of million and they can have him 😁

You misread it Trev.
It says he had a year left but likes having the security of two, for his family.
Anyone who offers him two years on not too much of a salary drop will get him.
BFSE it happy for him to stay as a squad player.
Big John won’t like that.
Ah, fair enough. I was astonished to think he had 2 years left.

Looks like Evans's hype about getting offers of 0.5M+ for Ogilvie were his usual eyewash, either that or he/Scally crazily didnt bite their hand off last offseason/January. As i expected no one was going to offer a fee for him, a very ordinary League 1 player, for some reason much overrated by most Gills fans on here. Similar re offers for Tucker. So I hope they dont quibble IF we get a £1M+ offer for Dempsey; especially now Andy Cannon released by Pompey who'd be a good replacement

Og
Looks like Evans's hype about getting offers of 0.5M+ for Ogilvie were his usual eyewash, either that or he/Scally crazily didnt bite their hand off last offseason/January. As i expected no one was going to offer a fee for him, a very ordinary League 1 player, for some reason much overrated by most Gills fans on here. Similar re offers for Tucker. So I hope they dont quibble IF we get a £1M+ offer for Dempsey; especially now Andy Cannon released by Pompey who'd be a good replacement
Ogilvie is a very ordinary league one full back?
Really?
Maybe your knowledge is greater than the average poster on this forum?
I don’t know?
From what I’ve seen, I’d say he’s well above average and will probably be playing at a higher level next season.
Tucker is 21 years old with nearly 100 games under his belt.
Does he make mistakes?
Yep!
Does Trent Alexander Arnold make mistakes?
Yep!
Does pretty much every player make mistakes?
Yep!

You seem to have a bit of a downer on the team that you say you support.
Not keen on the chairman.
Not keen on the management.
Not keen on the players.
Can you tell us what you are keen on please.

Madness.

Og

Ogilvie is a very ordinary league one full back?
Really?
Maybe your knowledge is greater than the average poster on this forum?
I don’t know?
From what I’ve seen, I’d say he’s well above average and will probably be playing at a higher level next season.
Tucker is 21 years old with nearly 100 games under his belt.
Does he make mistakes?
Yep!
Does Trent Alexander Arnold make mistakes?
Yep!
Does pretty much every player make mistakes?
Yep!

You seem to have a bit of a downer on the team that you say you support.
Not keen on the chairman.
Not keen on the management.
Not keen on the players.
Can you tell us what you are keen on please.
Member of the Liptrot cabal?

We're linked with Alan Judge, out of contract at Ipswich, been a good player down the years, although could mean Dempsey's on his way.

Ex-Peterborough United ace Marcus Maddison signs for Spalding United! Another signing coup by Gaby Zakuani
From the Peterborough Telegraph.

It seems Gaby is highly thought of at Spalding - Marcus Maddison is only 27 and seemed destined for the big time a few years ago.

Ex-Peterborough United ace Marcus Maddison signs for Spalding United! Another signing coup by Gaby Zakuani
From the Peterborough Telegraph.

It seems Gaby is highly thought of at Spalding - Marcus Maddison is only 27 and seemed destined for the big time a few years ago.

He's taking a break from the pro game according to an article I've seen, a real coup for Spalding though.