Retained List | Page 3 | Vital Football

Retained List

The only thing that is disappointing now is we no longer get to develop a player, sell them for good money with the add ons that provide a much needed financial boost every now and again

Who was the last established "star" to leave for a fee - Dack ? I'm ignoring Walsh at this stage as we sold potential not an established first teamer.

Egan, Eaves, Holy and now Ogilve have all gone for nothing. I know they cost us nothing but developing and selling players always seemed a sustainable model.

Maybe its the clubs reluctance to offer longer term deals that puts us in this position. I'd rather sell Dempsey for a fee with add ons this summer than see him go for free next.

Unless we get back to selling players we are never going to grow the club financially. Scally used to say we needed 500K from player sales to break even. We haven't sold a player for a few years now and the Hanlan compensation will be lucky to be 100K.

The positive in the releases is you assume some big earners in that group. That gives Evans some good room for manoeuvre.

I'd be interested to see where Ogilve goes and I assume Graham will return to the midlands

Bonham surprises me - I wonder where he thinks he will be next season. Maybe another who might find the grass isn't greener

According to EFL Zone, Charlton, Birmingham and Shrewsbury have offered a contract to Jordan Graham.
Not being funny but ....... Shrewsbury ?

Let's face it, we all knew that Ogilvie was on his way.

As for Graham and Bonham already turning down new contracts, that suggests that their agents had been offering them around and have obtained better concrete contract offers from elsewhere.

I wonder whether O'Connor may be released by Saints? I was encouraged by his appearances at centre back at the end of the season and, like Ogilvie, seemed to be better there than at left back. I am not suggesting that he is as good as Connor yet, but may kick on and become a viable replacement.

If we can not sign Cundy on loan again, we will probably another two new defenders, though.

The only thing that is disappointing now is we no longer get to develop a player, sell them for good money with the add ons that provide a much needed financial boost every now and again

Who was the last established "star" to leave for a fee - Dack ? I'm ignoring Walsh at this stage as we sold potential not an established first teamer.

Egan, Eaves, Holy and now Ogilve have all gone for nothing. I know they cost us nothing but developing and selling players always seemed a sustainable model.

Maybe its the clubs reluctance to offer longer term deals that puts us in this position. I'd rather sell Dempsey for a fee with add ons this summer than see him go for free next.

Unless we get back to selling players we are never going to grow the club financially. Scally used to say we needed 500K from player sales to break even. We haven't sold a player for a few years now and the Hanlan compensation will be lucky to be 100K.

The positive in the releases is you assume some big earners in that group. That gives Evans some good room for manoeuvre.

I'd be interested to see where Ogilve goes and I assume Graham will return to the midlands

Bonham surprises me - I wonder where he thinks he will be next season. Maybe another who might find the grass isn't greener

I agree with nyou in general but I think we made about £400K on John Egan, not bad for a free transfer.

Isn't O'Connor's contract up at Saints in June? I reckon we'll sign him and Lee. There's plenty of decent keepers around and bound to be one who's turned down a deal at his current club. We move on. Akinde is still under contract but available for transfer so he may still be around if no one comes in for him

Isn't O'Connor's contract up at Saints in June? I reckon we'll sign him and Lee. There's plenty of decent keepers around and bound to be one who's turned down a deal at his current club. We move on. Akinde is still under contract but available for transfer so he may still be around if no one comes in for him
If Akinde does stay, he’s great back up if a bombardment is necessary.
He made 25 appearances from the bench last season.
At his age, if he can get a move to another club but an extra year, he’d probably be happy to move on.
I think that there will be a fair bit of interest in him.
His salary could be a sticking point though.
I would take a guess that O’Connor will probably join us if the contract is right for him.

I agree with nyou in general but I think we made about £400K on John Egan, not bad for a free transfer.

Yep to be fair that was a good tribunal fee. Shame we didn't get a share of the £4M he left Brentford for though

Last edited:
If Akinde does stay, he’s great back up if a bombardment is necessary.
He made 25 appearances from the bench last season.
At his age, if he can get a move to another club but an extra year, he’d probably be happy to move on.
I think that there will be a fair bit of interest in him.
His salary could be a sticking point though.
I would take a guess that O’Connor will probably join us if the contract is right for him.
I think there will be a fair amount of competition for Akindie at league two he is a great asset. I don't think they will want to match his wages .But at that level he is capable of getting 20 goals .There are not that many players available that will be able to bring that to the table. I see him not costing us that much and like Luke Norris we might even get a smallish fee if there is competition for his services.

My takes on this:

*PLAYERS UNDER CONTRACT FOR THE 2021/22 SEASON BUT AVAILABLE FOR TRANSFER*

John Akinde
Not too bothered really / hopefully for a fee

Christian Maghoma
Never saw him, don't think we'll miss him

*PLAYERS OUT OF CONTRACT AND LEAVING THE CLUB*

Sacha Bastien
Thanks for at least helping with the numbers - bye

Jack Bonham*
Didn't look too interested last season - good at times, sometimes not, to our cost

Jordan Graham*
Did well for us but was expected to go, so no surprise, there will be others

Tyreke Johnson
Looked ok against Plymouth, during his wee cameo appearance.

Connor Ogilvie*
Shame but expected - wish him well

Dominic Samuel
Expensive sick note and did nothing special. Won't miss him

Matty Willock
Yeah - Matty Willock, plenty of potential (apparently) but never showed it
for us. 2 years wasted for both parties.

Players come and players go we need to handle it and move on...... which we will.

I would like to add my thanks to all the players who depart this summer and wish them well for the future. The uncertainty of football must make it a worrying time for some.