retained list..... Who will Evans decide to try and keep | Vital Football

retained list..... Who will Evans decide to try and keep

Cookiejar

Vital Reserves Team
I know its a bit early but I cant see us getting through to the play off so I thought we'd try and second guess who SE might keep and release.

Looking at who he uses in the small squad I can see 2 of Pringle, Willock and RCC being shown the door. I think he will try and sing Roberts and Lee permanently and maybe try and get Jones again next year.

No idea what's happening with young under 23 Fernandez, Allen and Morrell are they still even here?

I know its a bit early but I cant see us getting through to the play off so I thought we'd try and second guess who SE might keep and release.

Looking at who he uses in the small squad I can see 2 of Pringle, Willock and RCC being shown the door. I think he will try and sing Roberts and Lee permanently and maybe try and get Jones again next year.

No idea what's happening with young under 23 Fernandez, Allen and Morrell are they still even here?

I think he’ll keep both Willock and RCC. Pringle will go.

I like the look of Roberts. He’d be a great signing.

Does Lee really fit in to our style of play?

Doubt Southampton will allow Jones to stay for another season. They’d be keep to continue his development - so maybe looking for him to step up to a Championship club?

I think Fuller, Hanlon, RCC, Pringle and Ehmer are out of contract. Maybe Byrne as well plus obviously the loan signings.

I think Fuller, Pringle, Hanlan will go. Evans has already said he will offer Byrne something. RCC is a difficult one, would like to see him offered something as I rate him

I don’t know what the rest of you think. But I reckon this year any players that we “let go” are going to be very proficient League 1 footballers. Previous years there’s been a few I think we would all say, were making up the numbers. Not this season. I’d personally be sad to see any of them go. All have put in the yards.

is Mandran out of contract as well? Fuller is a difficult one. it all depend show he is targeting. I think he wants Bennett from Peterborough who's a centreback which makes sense if Tucker is sold.

Interesting that many think hanlan will ho yet Evan's still starts him. He is an a tough call though. Everything but the end product.

As much as Hanlons work rate and running are admired, his finishing, composure in front of goal and final ball leaves a lot to be desired. I guess just who is retained by SE (assuming he is still here himself) will come down to our budget and that will probably come down to if we sell Tucker and if we do for how much.

Last edited:
Interesting that many think hanlan will ho yet Evan's still starts him. He is an a tough call though. Everything but the end product.

I reckon he’s well worth persevering. If we can just get the goal output from him he’d be worth a lot of money. Doesn’t even have to be prolific, just decent enough because the rest of his game is very good.

is Mandran out of contract as well? Fuller is a difficult one. it all depend show he is targeting. I think he wants Bennett from Peterborough who's a centreback which makes sense if Tucker is sold.

I think Mika was signed on a 2 year deal wasn’t he?

I reckon he’s well worth persevering. If we can just get the goal output from him he’d be worth a lot of money. Doesn’t even have to be prolific, just decent enough because the rest of his game is very good.
Someone prolific alongside him would be great

Not sure of Fuller's long term plans but if he was considering going into coaching then I could see us offering a player - coaching type contract. Great as what Barry has been, we need to find a long term replacement and not pin our hopes on his legs not going next season.

Evans would be foolish to let Ehmer go considering he has been a solid performer for us down the years and is still a few years short of his 30th birthday.

Pringle seems destined to not be offered a new contract. He hasn't really been trusted by the manager. For a 30 year old who'd be near to his peak then half a dozen starts suggests the manager doesn't fully rate.

RCC is likely to be off. Even if we did offer him a contract, I can't see him staying. His last start for us was in November against Spurs U21 so I can easily see him signing elsewhere to get more regular starts.

Hanlon is tricky. He undoubtedly has ability but rarely has the end product. He reminds me in some respects of Luke Rooney. I think it all comes down to who'd you would partner him with if you offered a new contract. If he had another striker who was more consistent in front of goal then he'd make a great partner. If we are going to play a Mandron or Akinde as the muscle with Hanlon as the finisher then we are better off rid.

I think Hanlan and RCC arrived together so would imagine they earn about the same.

I can not see us releasing the one that plays regularly and keeping the one who seems to be a bit player, unless Hanlan's demands are unreasonable

Not sure of Fuller's long term plans but if he was considering going into coaching then I could see us offering a player - coaching type contract.

Evans said in one interview that Barry Fuller keeps getting younger. I don't know if that's scientifically possible but I've no reason to doubt anything Evans says. I expect Barry to be with us for the next fifteen years on that basis.

I think Fuller, Pringle, Hanlan will go. Evans has already said he will offer Byrne something. RCC is a difficult one, would like to see him offered something as I rate him
Re Byrne I think SE said that he would allow him to train and get fit with us but no contract extension was mentioned. Irony is that we have been more successful since Byrne has been out.

Leaving aside the loan players, some of whom may well go onto Championship assignments - thinking of Jones & O`Connor, I suppose it depends how PS and SE see next season in terms of ambition. If it`s a case of holding our own then, of those mentioned by Cookiejar, I`d expect the release of Hanlon and Fuller. If we are to seriously try for a top six place then, in addition to Brandon and Barry, I wouldn`t be surprised to see Ehmer (unless we sell Tucker) and Byrne go as well. I`d keep Pringle and RCC as IMO, their potential and skill level warrants giving them a chance to battle into the starting eleven.

Irony is that we have been more successful since Byrne has been out.

Since he got injured in December, we've brought in Akinde, Roberts and Graham and moved on Jabukiak, Ndjoli and Marshall. Could the rise in success be down to Byrne dropping out or the signing of new players?