Retained List And Squad | Page 12 | Vital Football

Retained List And Squad

Who was it said, 'if you're good enough, you're old enough'?

Danny thinks a lot of him, that's for sure. But he only turned 17 in January, he just seems to have been around the club for a few years through the academy transfer to and from Leicester.

Give this youngster a blooding in the friendlies it can only do good for his experience in the game and some of those games will be played in front of decent crowds.
plus we get a chance to have a look at him over 90 mins.

Danny always tries to give every squad member 300 minutes of game time in pre-season, so he would be featuring anyway. More likely to be the Lincoln Utd-type games, I would think.

Elliott is left footed I believe (bonus). If he is technically good but lacking physically I expect him to be getting game time from the bench in 'safer' game situations and the Checkatrade. Only consideration to counter that is that he may be seen as a like for like regarding Pett who will have seniority. Then again Pett may be alternating with Frecklington or O'Connor (if he signs) as a starter to improve squad freshness.

Rather oddly, I think Frecks' would qualify as a 'Club Developed player',

"Each EFL club will need to include one “club-developed” player in their match day squad, who will be defined as a player who has been registered with their current team for at least 12 months prior to the end of their U19 season."

Rather oddly, I think Frecks' would qualify as a 'Club Developed player',

"Each EFL club will need to include one “club-developed” player in their match day squad, who will be defined as a player who has been registered with their current team for at least 12 months prior to the end of their U19 season."

Maybe...but more likely that explains the Walton contract offer?

Can't imagine Walton being included in the 18, especially if, as DC suggests, we'll be bringing another player GK in.

Elliott is left footed I believe (bonus). If he is technically good but lacking physically I expect him to be getting game time from the bench in 'safer' game situations and the Checkatrade. Only consideration to counter that is that he may be seen as a like for like regarding Pett who will have seniority. Then again Pett may be alternating with Frecklington or O'Connor (if he signs) as a starter to improve squad freshness.
He’s 6’3”, lacking tactically probably more than physically I’d gusss

Updated following the arrival of Michael O'Connor:

The current squad is (contract date):

Goalkeepers (2):
Josh Vickers (2019)
Richard Walton (contract offered)

Defenders (6):
Neal Eardley (2020)
Harry Toffolo (2020)
James Wilson (2020)
Sam Habergham (2019)
Luke Waterfall (2019)
Sean Long (contract offered)

Midfielders (7):
Harry Anderson (2020)
Bruno Andrade (2020)
Michael Bostwick (2020)
Ellis Chapman (2020)
Lee Frecklington (2020)
Tom Pett (2020)
Michael O'Connor (2019)

Forwards (3):
Matt Rhead (2019)
Matt Green (2019)
Ollie Palmer (2019)

Total: 18
Under contract: 16
Contracts pending: 2

Updated following the arrival of Michael O'Connor:

The current squad is (contract date):

Goalkeepers (2):
Josh Vickers (2019)
Richard Walton (contract offered)

Defenders (6):
Neal Eardley (2020)
Harry Toffolo (2020)
James Wilson (2020)
Sam Habergham (2019)
Luke Waterfall (2019)
Sean Long (contract offered)

Midfielders (7):
Harry Anderson (2020)
Bruno Andrade (2020)
Michael Bostwick (2020)
Ellis Chapman (2020)
Lee Frecklington (2020)
Tom Pett (2020)
Michael O'Connor (2019)

Forwards (3):
Matt Rhead (2019)
Matt Green (2019)
Ollie Palmer (2019)

Total: 18
Under contract: 16
Contracts pending: 2

Think we need to get a proven goal scoring forward in to add to the front three the rest of the areas look pretty strong. That is not meant as a criticism of
the front three already on board. Just more competition for a starting place.

I think next season is one for Chapman to go.on loan and get games. 17 is very very young to be thinking about 1st team football.

Wayne Rooney???? There have been a few 16/17 year olds playing at the top level, let alone L2. How old was Freck when he came into the Lincoln first team set-up? How old was Jack Hobbs when he made his debut and then went to a higher level team? If he's good enough, lets see him and give him a chance. But its not up to us - DC will be on top of his current development and what's best for him I have no doubt.

Wayne Rooney???? There have been a few 16/17 year olds playing at the top level, let alone L2. How old was Freck when he came into the Lincoln first team set-up? How old was Jack Hobbs when he made his debut and then went to a higher level team? If he's good enough, lets see him and give him a chance. But its not up to us - DC will be on top of his current development and what's best for him I have no doubt.

Freck was 20/21 when he really started being a first teamer. Hobbs played about 2 minutes for us, so essentially never was. Rooney was physically advanced for his age, which was.a.big help. You're right, it is ultimately up to DC.

Shane Nicholson was 17 when he played over 40 games in the 1987/88 Conference championship season and was only 16 when he played half a dozen or so games the season before.

My own feeling about Chapman is that if he's as good as they say we'll see him starting to get a bit more first team action in the coming season.

Freck was 20/21 when he really started being a first teamer. Hobbs played about 2 minutes for us, so essentially never was. Rooney was physically advanced for his age, which was.a.big help. You're right, it is ultimately up to DC.

Ellis is a big unit already and once he bulks up he'll be a handful.

Shane Nicholson was 17 when he played over 40 games in the 1987/88 Conference championship season and was only 16 when he played half a dozen or so games the season before.

My own feeling about Chapman is that if he's as good as they say we'll see him starting to get a bit more first team action in the coming season.

Interesting that DC mentions in his interview about O'Conner that his signing will give licence to the likes of Freck, Pett and Chapman.

Here's an interesting stat, of the 28 players who featured in the Lincoln v Macclesfield clash on April 22, 2017 (only 14 months ago), which saw the Imps lift the National League trophy, only eight (four from each side) are still playing for either the Imps or the Silkmen, while three of the four unused subs have also departed for pastures new. That's one heck of a turnover in players... admittedly some of those were loanees).