Restaurant Reviews For Brum! | Vital Football

Restaurant Reviews For Brum!

The Fear

A Wise Man (once sat next to him)
Might die a death this thread, just thought worth sharing good places to go in Brum and outlying areas.

Just submitted this review for Trip Advisor re Marco Pierre Whites in Birmingham. Had to smile, they wouldn't accept due to profanities. I had to search and search, then realised they counted faggots as a swear word. FFS, it is food!

Disappointing:

Ok, was looking forward to a trip here. Not sure I would rush back. The greeting was pleasant, the table was ready and we were swiftly shown to the table and our drinks order taken. So far, so good.

Then the menu came. We'd hoped to use the Table d'Hote Menu. A link to what I'd read on the day of coming and still does have this menu: http://www.mpwsteakhousebirmingham.co.uk/menu/table-dhote

Now I know that is a sample. But the d'Hote menu on the day was useless. Faggots? Sausage? Fish Cakes? Those were the three main meal options. Is htis not a steakhouse grill? Who wants to go to a 'top' restaurant for faggots or sausage or even fish cakes? Jeez. The starters were just as instantly forgettable.

So instead of £15 + £6 supplement (I wanted coctail of prawns and a steak) my prawn starter was £9.50 (it was very nice) and I ordered a rib eye steak at just under £24.

A bit different folks.

My starter was nice, the main meal of rib eye was the worst steak I've had in years. At least 3oz was fat. Now I know the rib eye is a fattier cut, but not that fatty. Again, is this not a steakhouse?

I didn't go for a pudding. We ordered another drink, I asked for a red bull with no ice. I was very clear no ice. But I got a glass full of ice anyway. My parents had two luke warm coffees.

We then waited a good while to get the attention for the bill.

Not a horrendous experience but first impressions of this place is it lacks the quality and finesse you would expect at a 'top' restaurant. Even the table clothes weren't matching (attention to detail you see!)

The waiter was pleasant, but had to reach over as opposed to coming to our sides etc, which is a bit annoying at a top restaurant, again, all about standards and finesse. I can have push and shove at a beefeater etc!

AND THEN.. ok, so the bill comes. My dad was paying. He didn't see that a 10% service charge was included. He put 10% extra on not knowing and wasn't told. So he basically left a tip of around £26 when you take into consideration the already included tip.

That is a rip off and should have been pointed out to him. Then again, when you hire waiters who don't speak the language particularly well, getting explanations isn't easy. ie my mom asked about the chicken dish, it was Kiev (is this the 1970's?!) so she asked if she could have a simple chicken breast (as she had had on a previous visit) and was told yes.

A chicken kiev was served.

I'd go for Villa's VMF (Villa Midlands Food) if you are looking for a top food experience. This is, from my first visit, trading on a name and reputation but not fulfilling the promise.

Lambs... Sheep Street, Stratford Upon Avon...

This is one of my all time favourite restaurants, go regularly for sunday roast, you won't get a beef dinner anywhere better. Friendly staff, welcoming manager, lovely location and food always served quickly, fresh and just as importantly, hot. Love the place, will continue to go month after month.

http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowUserReviews-g186399-d733595-r149740145-Lambs_Restaurant-Stratford_upon_Avon_Warwickshire_England.html

VMF

I just adore this place. Been a good 15 times now, taken many of my friends and family and I know once they have been, they keep going back also. I have even told a few who didn't know whether to try it out or not, that if they didn't enjoy it, I'd pay their bill. I've not had a bill yet.

VMF is a wonderful concept in a very relaxed atmosphere and they serve top class food without it being 'stuffy' or intimidating. Well worth a try, trust me, as a frequent flyer, you'll love it.

http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Restaurant_Review-g186402-d2470763-Reviews-or20-Restaurant_VMF-Birmingham_West_Midlands_England.html#REVIEWS

I do write good reviews - http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/members-reviews/thefacehead

I am just saying the bad reviews are more fun to read and write but I haven't had a chance yet....

to be fair, I only read my own reviews as only my opinion matters in life really!!!!!!!!!! :14:

The Fear - 19/4/2013 14:13

to be fair, I only read my own reviews as only my opinion matters in life really!!!!!!!!!! :14:

sorry, what you say? I only got as far as - to be fair. :89:

I saw the link on facebook fear, and found myself reading about VMF and then looking at their website.

I must visit this place, the reviews are excellent, even one from a bluenose!

James06 - 19/4/2013 14:17

I saw the link on facebook fear, and found myself reading about VMF and then looking at their website.

I must visit this place, the reviews are excellent, even one from a bluenose!

Perhaps another Vital meal should be arranged ?

Yes, good call sirdennis. Jim, think you'd love it. Shall we look at doing that folks? Be either May or if not, next season I'd guess!

If you are looking for a Steakhouse, we had a really nice meal at 'Andersons' in St Pauls Square, in Birmingham.

They have quite a range of different steaks. We both had the fillet steak still on the bone.

Came to about £110 for 2 of us for 2 starters, 2 steaks and a couple of drinks.

It's in a basement, tucked out of the way. Great service, and really good quality food.

Just booked a table at Gordon Ramsay's 'Steak'. I'll review it when I get back.

I was thinking of going to Marco Pierre Whites in Birmingham. I don't think I'll bother now.

This thread has also reminded me of VMF, we said we would go back again but have not got around to it yet.

Was thinking about going for my bday in may. So we could look at doing that if you fancy.

neilh111 - 19/4/2013 16:21

I was thinking of going to Marco Pierre Whites in Birmingham. I don't think I'll bother now.

This thread has also reminded me of VMF, we said we would go back again but have not got around to it yet.

It has mixed reviews on trip finder, some seemed delighted with it, so might still be worth trying. We went in the day, amazing views and all that, but to be fair, Brum is a pretty grey city and it was a grey day! Probably look great at night with all the lights on etc.

The Fear - 19/4/2013 16:40

What date DaveM?

Might start a thread!

Mines the 28th mate but not fused when we went for the meal. It's phials bday as well so could do a post Wigan thing

The Fear - 19/4/2013 14:01

Just submitted this review for Trip Advisor re Marco Pierre Whites in Birmingham. Had to smile, they wouldn't accept due to profanities. I had to search and search, then realised they counted faggots as a swear word.

Telling the whole world you went to a Frenchman's place and gobbled a faggot may not have been such a good idea....