Rename or not?

• Yay

Votes: 6 23.1%
  • Nay

Votes: 11 42.3%
  • Don't care either way

Votes: 9 34.6%

• Total voters
I've always thought they should just be more creative and keep the name but just tack on the sponsor.

32 Red hosted at Villa Park or 32 Red Arena at Villa Park, Villa Park hosting 32 Red.

I just feel they could do better, I suppose the company just wants their name as clearly outlined as possible but a bit of creativity might go along way.

Yeah well ... so the ground is renamed, what's next eh? The club will be renamed ffs!!! The the home games will be played in China. These money men can all go and do one.

I dont disagree V67 but unfortunately this is the hand we're dealt. If the price of renaming the stadium is avoiding a 12 point deduction next season then is that not worth it? Another season in the championship with our stadium name in place or the potential of getting into the EPL and out of our fiscal issues for the price of changing a place name.

Changing the name of the club is a different kettle of fish. Remember this we could lose our name, stadium and everything else if we're not solvent.

Again tho we don't know where the club is financially and we need to keep everything in context.

Christian Purslow has confirmed this won't be on the agenda btw, but that they would consider sponsorship of Bodymoor Heath.

Christian Purslow has confirmed this won't be on the agenda btw, but that they would consider sponsorship of Bodymoor Heath.

That's the badger, name something no one cares about. I doubt anyone will pay to sponsor the training ground.

Manchester City have a deal for their ground, shirts, hoardings etc allowing them to balance the books when paying players £300,000 a week. When the club is sponsored by the owner or his family the sky really is the limit.

Sell your souls folks what does it matter? We're better than that. If the owners have the necessary integrity they will understand. When will fans realise they are the heart of the game and without them, there is no big business to go around renaming things. More importantly, when will business realise it.

I remember when Chelski and Ci£eh were average 2nd tier clubs and would probably still be so if their 'sugar daddies' had not turned up. The money men put so much in but look for other income streams as well. Renaming the grounds, shirt sponsorship and the 'prawn sandwich' elements are part and parcel of the modern game and we either join that party or languish in the lower leagues. Everyone, but everyone, agrees that Villa belong in the top tier and are light years ahead of (with respect) Watford, Huddersfield, Brighton and Bournemouth. If the only way we can get to the exalted place in which we belong is to look for additional income streams, then so be it. We can all take the moral high ground if we want but the money in football is not going away and to think that we can compete by shying away from corporate funding is like trying to stop a tsunami with a feather.
As someone else said, who really refers to the North Stand as the Witton End? In addition does anyone still refer to the the Doug Ellis as the Witton Lane stand? Renaming Villa Park something else would make little difference to most as it would always be Villa Park to all of us.
Now if they were to try to rename the Holte End, there would be a riot and I would be at the front of the queue!!!!

If we want to compete at the top level we will need to be looking at this sort of thing in the near future. As Claret & Blue Blood mentions, we would all still call it Villa Park anyway - how many people call St James' Sports Direct stadium, even the Sty is known by its original name. Unless you have a new build ground like Arsenal, Man City, Leicester then the old name always gets used.

I’d rather they didn’t, I want to us to carry on being this grand old club with history and tradition in spite of what others do. St. Pauli in Germany are never successful but they have principles, the fans have made sure of that and like it that way. Athletic Bilbao still only use players from the basque region and again it’s probably at the expense of some success but they stick to their principles. Could we be that club in England while everyone else goes fully commercial? The top level of English football needs some romance.

Yes re Witton Lane.

Agree, Villa Park, for me, would always be Villa Park. I'm glad they are not looking to do it, however I think £ootball has lost its soul so not sure I'd be up jumping up and down in fury if they had these days, 5-10 years ago, I'd have been totally different.

Easier to name grounds when a club relocates.

Whatever you do you won’t change the fact that Villa Park is Trinity Road, Witton Lane, Holte End and Witton End.
I know , I’ve sat or stood there

Havnt you heard the song

The old Holte End looks the same
As I walk down Witton Lane .......

Keep the name

Instead of selling the naming rights of the ground, if an extra income stream were needed, why not sell sponsorship rights to each individual stand, 32Red Holte End, for example.

As mentioned by JF, selling naming rights to a new stadium in a different location is the in thing these days - Emirates Stadium, Wanda Metropolitano in Madrid.

They could try and rename Villa Park, but no one would call it anything different. Geordies never called St. James' Park the Sports Direct Arena or the Sports Direct Arena @ St. James' Park.

And quite honestly, no one calls (or would call) the stands anything different than what they grew up with - Witton End, Witton Lane, etc. All in all, a pretty pointless exercise apart from generating a couple of million quid, so would potential sponsors even bother?