Rename or not?

• Yay

Votes: 6 23.1%
  • Nay

Votes: 11 42.3%
  • Don't care either way

Votes: 9 34.6%

• Total voters
Does beg a serious question though. If the survival of the club absolutely depended on it. Would we still have the same 'no' answer?

That's the thing Melon, there's no way I would have ever entertained the idea before, but I never thought we would be in a situation like this.

It would have to generate a significant amount of cash, and be temporary. That's the only way I would go along with it.

Once it's agreed any renaming would forever be linked to some corporation bullshit brand. Villa park is it's name and that's how it should stand. If fans accept this where will the whoring of our beloved club and game end.

I would love to agree with you and in a perfect world would, but as JPA said, the horse has already bolted.

If clubs decided to live with absolute dignity and not play "the game" they would go under pretty quick in the modern world.

We're up to the eyeballs in corporate sponsorship anyway so how would it be any different? I didn't see any protests when Nike was printed on our beloved colours.

As I said previously, I would only accept it if it was temporary and help ease our finances. It would be pretty quickly forgotten I have no doubt.

Money is God now so to be able to pay someone from Barnsley 35 grand a week we should definitely rename the stadium. ?
Absolutely right pvb, this is not about saving the club in a rename it's just more selling of the family silver to fund another player for a season or two. We have to draw the line somewhere to the corporate world that know the cost of everything but the true value of nothing.

From a purely financial aspect you cannot turn your nose up at £1-2m per year. That’s like selling 20k more shirts or another 2k season tickets, and that relatively easy way to generate income any business should be diligent and consider.

From a heritage perspective, I don’t warm to it and would rather not, but it could happen one day. Whatever it’s called, it’ll always be VP to me.

We've sold 20,000 ST's, let's say £400 av.
that's another £8m in the coffers plus the £4.2m Wembley gate receipts plus £3m for gollini . That's £15m plus we have a £15m parachute to come . I'm really not understanding this cash flow crisis . Doesn't stack up

No thanks, I don't think the sums involved would be enough to take such measures for the home of the football league.

IF we are in that much of a mess that we need to do it to 'save the club' then I hope the guy at the top who has put us in the mess is driven out by the wrath of the fans.

I'd understand it if we were ever good enough and big enough to have to move Villa Park to a 80 000 seat stadium, because fine then, it wouldn't be Villa Park.

I'd also probably be hanging up my season ticket at such a point !

Compromise "The Recon Villa Park"

To every single one of us it will remain Villa Park, its that simple.
I'm 60 and went to Villa Park when I was 5 or 6 for all my life it will be Villa Park. I dont give a shiney shyte what the bloke on Sky News or BBC 5 LIVE calls it, Aston Villa play at Villa Park.

Not for me as Melon Said it will eventually take on the new name , just as people now call the Witton end the North Stand and the Witton lane stand the Doug Ellis .
There are a couple of generations who only know the Witton End as the North Stand .

At this point in time it's difficult to evaluate because the financial situation appears to be fluid; there's a talk of black holes and also various on-going attempts to plug them, but there's no information about the actual situation, and indeed the people involved may not know how it's going to end up. Yet.

We do know that money is going to be tight this year, and possibly beyond, so in that respect a few million a year could well be attractive, either by helping us keep within FFP or if we are already within FFP freeing up more funds, or even just getting us nearer to break-even.

Likewise it's still not clear that we need to sell Jack, because we don't know what alternatives are being worked on. Given the choice, renaming the stadium is preferable to letting Jack go, but it's not that simple.