Votes: 6 23.1%
  • Nay

Votes: 11 42.3%
  • Don't care either way

Votes: 9 34.6%

• Total voters

Stephen Jay Hawkings

Vital Football Legend
Saw something earlier about renaming Villa Park to generate a bit of much needed dosh. I was always against the idea, but in desperate times if it helped I would go along with it. It will always be Villa Park and these things are usually temporary anyway.

I think it’s inevitable, as much as I’d love villa to be the one club in two decades which hasn’t succumbed to it along with Barcelona. Imagine the two greatest names (arguable) in the world who haven’t succumbed to the corporate takeover?

If it does happen, as a minimum I’d like Park to stay in the name. Emirates Park? Samsung Park? Not doubt it’ll be an unknown betting website in Taiwan

Last edited:
32Red Arena is coming to a deprived suburb near you (or not) soon!!

I don't care frankly, we'll all still call it Villa Park or B6 anyway, just as Newcastle kept calling it St. James' Park. We'll have a short-term cash injection and then normal service will be resumed.

I don't care frankly, we'll all still call it Villa Park or B6 anyway, just as Newcastle kept calling it St. James' Park. We'll have a short-term cash injection and then normal service will be resumed.

That's it exactly JPA, no one in their right mind called St. James Park, the Sports Direct Arena or whatever it was called.

Every little helps I guess.

Tesco Park?

I'll get me coat.

Not worth it unless the money is really big. How much did Man C get for calling it Eithad?

Don't think it'll become Recon Villa Park because the money isn't there...

Around £10 million per season apparently, as part of Etihad sponsoring the package as a whole - stadium, shirt sponsorship, etc.

Once it's agreed any renaming would forever be linked to some corporation bullshit brand. Villa park is it's name and that's how it should stand. If fans accept this where will the whoring of our beloved club and game end. We are in danger of becoming as obsessed with the money as the soul less stuffed shirts who have taken over football. Does it really matter to fans if the club could even get £10 million a year for it ( doubt it would be anywhere near that), it wouldn't change much for us. But the name change is different, would you change your own name for money. We should be proud of our clubs history and tradition, let us stand against the tide on this one and hold on to some dignity and show a bit of class, so when other supporters visit from their bet365 stadium or McCain arena they know it's Villa park and they will know it's special.

Absolutely ... do not sell the crown jewels, the identity of our great club. To have the name of 'Aston Villa' is priceless. Our home is and always be Villa Park. We are NOT some 'xxxx.City' or 'xxxxxx.Utd' ....... we are Aston Villa whose homeground is the Holy Grail called Villa Park. Do not sell our soul. Do not sell our identity, our history ... not for any price, least of all that of the equivalent of 2 years sucked out of our club by 2 so called Villa players. Sellers .... beware of the poisoned chalice

Totally agree with 67 and Platt.

No fucking way. Somethings are sacrosanct. Yes I agree we will still call it Villa park. But we will all someday be gone and there will be fans who will only know it as the blank.....arena/park/ground.
Imagine that walk to the ground through Aston Hall grounds or from the under pass towards the holte and you are greeted by a tsunami of corporate logos on the brick steps of the holte end or high over the trinity road.
No thanks.

Difficult one. Sure we need some money/investment but it has to be worth it. I wouldn't sell out the name Villa Park for peanuts, but if it was REAL bunce, then it has to be considered. Current needs need to be addressed.

Totally agree with 67 and Platt.

No fucking way. Somethings are sacrosanct. Yes I agree we will still call it Villa park. But we will all someday be gone and there will be fans who will only know it as the blank.....arena/park/ground.
Imagine that walk to the ground through Aston Hall grounds or from the under pass towards the holte and you are greeted by a tsunami of corporate logos on the brick steps of the holte end or high over the trinity road.
No thanks.

It's a no from me as well , for all the reasons stated above.

Does beg a serious question though. If the survival of the club absolutely depended on it. Would we still have the same 'no' answer?

Exactly Melon. And in any case times move on. Money talks and there in nothing us plebs can do about it. It is and would still be "Villa Park" but if we're getting paid a ton of money, so what? Bring it on.

I'm not sure in what circumstances that our clubs survival would depend on the renaming of a stadium. If the owner or better word custodian of the club is so short of funds he should cut his losses and sell, not drag the history and tradition of this proud old club through the mud in an short term monetary gain.
And they may see us as plebs JPA but that's no reason for us to cower down and accept any rubbish from them. We and our next generation will still be supporting the club when these custodians have long moved on and I want them to feel a pride about us that we are unique, that we do matter and that what we support is more than a club or team or plc, it's an inheritance and Villa park is our crown jewel and it should remain that way.

The horse has bolted Platt. Money rules now and it's foolish for us to pretend otherwise. Football was lost to the fans years ago in any real sense.

What if Villa Park was destroyed by fire and had to be rebuilt? In this day and age, I'm sure the only was it could be paid for would be through selling the naming rights to fund the rebuild.

I'm afraid I am far too cynical to cling on to the old romantic notions from a bygone age. Sorry.

The headline figure for Man C was £400m over 10 years. However, it appears that includes a number of things, such as shirts, and development of the area around the stadium. The stadium name was valued at £13m pa, believe that if you will. Other clubs seem to get from £3m upwards.

A 3 year deal at say £5m pa would have its attractions, considering where we're at. Time limited would ease the pain.