Staying Up, Going Down, You Decide! | Page 2 | Vital Football

Staying Up, Going Down, You Decide!

Some will love your optimism, some will say you're delusional. I would say sensible risk analysis would say we are somewhere in between but edging more towards lower mid table . 7th is absolute pie in the sky. 17th more likely

We are in the mix for 7th mate along with 13 other clubs, it's how many of those other clubs we tonk at VP and away that will define where we finish, drawing or the odd win against the top 6 is pretty meaningless.
14 clubs are in the mix for the drop and 7th place that is how it is

By December we will be looking for Man City results that will be teased to us by the scoreboard, chants of win the league win the league will echo around the stadium. Come the last game of the season, after beating Arsenal 4-0 at fortress Villa Park (were only six points had been dropped all season) many, many tens of thousands then descend upon East London in anticipation of the impossible. A scrappy nervous affair is settled late, late into the game by sublime right foot of the now established England number 10. In the clammer for interviews the same line is heard many times, “what it is it like to lead your boyhood club to the pinnacle of achievements Jack” as a humble man, with steely determination looks to the sky with a tear in his eye whispering we have got our Villa back Dad, now for Europe

Last edited:
Last time we had a load come that we’d never heard of, Helenius, Geuye, Sylla, ElAhmadi, Luna, Tonev, Bacuna, Carlos Sanchez, Cissokho, Kozak etc I was very excited up until the pre-season friendly results. So fingers crossed today!
This time we’ve spent more, Dean has a system and I’m even more excited, so where will we end up? Absolutely no idea but if I were to pick a reasonable possibility based on hope and paltry evidence, 10th.

Last time we had a load come that we’d never heard of, Helenius, Geuye, Sylla, ElAhmadi, Luna, Tonev, Bacuna, Carlos Sanchez, Cissokho, Kozak etc I was very excited up until the pre-season friendly results. So fingers crossed today!
This time we’ve spent more, Dean has a system and I’m even more excited, so where will we end up? Absolutely no idea but if I were to pick a reasonable possibility based on hope and paltry evidence, 10th.

I think a big difference this time is that the new players will actually start, I seem to remember all those new players or a fair few of them hardly played and certainly never shifted the old guard.

I certainly don't expect to see Chester Elmo Taylor Hourihane and Koj starting the first game otherwise we are in deep shite because we've signed a load of squaddies

The key here is the manager, I would have been worried if anybody else had brought this amount of new players, but with Smith i feel whoever comes here will end up a better player and contribute to our future success. No relegation worries here lads.

I don't see our summer transfers as scattergun as that season. I have confidence in the plan.

None of us can be sure what's going to happen this season but I think we should be optimistic with the additions thus far that we have enough to compete and have more than enough to avoid relegation. We've got a clear plan, have bought players to fit that plan and have a coaching staff that will develop and improve their performance, something which hasn't been the case for many a year. So...we're giving ourselves a real chance to establish ourselves again in the top flight. I just hope that when we hit that rocky patch, when we lose a few on the spin, the doom merchants dont go into overdrive with the kind of rhetoric we witnessed in Jan/Feb last season! Or is that bound to happen...?! Yep... probably after we've played Spurs....!

So many new faces (unavoidably). Didn't want us to go down the pay a fortune for ordinary/ageing Prem players, so we face a massive learning curve.

For me, anything other than a relegation battle will be a major achievement. If the wheels come off early on and the confidence goes, it could be a struggle.

Edit.
Going to have to give their all every game and you can't get that intensity from friendlies.

Last edited:
There are at least (at least!) 3 teams with a worse squad than ours plus there are clubs with off the field politics that we have now managed to get rid of and are going into the season with momentum.

If things aren’t looking rosy over Xmas i’m sure we’ll bolster again over the January window.

I’m not overly bothered what these pundits think because half of them aren’t that knowledgable about the game anyway.

We need a good start and apart from spuds away first 6 games are not the most difficult.

Definitely need to get off to a decent start. Our fixtures up until mid October aren't too bad so we need to get the points on the board. Our run of games from mid March to the end of the season look far more difficult, so if we were involved in a relegation scrap there will be a few anxious people on here.
There's still a lot of transfer activity to happen from most teams in the PL, so difficult to know how strong or weak some of them will be yet. At the moment I'd guess we will be anywhere from 10th to 16th.

No seriously. This thread title ffs !!!!.
Lol.

Genuinely no clue how it will pan out.

The only thing I am sure on is whatever happens we KEEP SMITH.

Follow the Burnley model with Dyche. Kept after relegation and got back up and were better off for doing it.

I will wager that the biggest and probably first major debating point this season will be Smith staying or going.

I wonder who will crack first and demand change when things get tough.

Lol.

Won't be me. I agree with you, think it will be a hard season and don't really know how it will pan out. Definitely keep Smith whatever and let them all learn from the good and bad moments.

As regards who cracks first, onematchban is my favourite. Poor old Fulford is starting to twitch already too :fish:, although glad to see his loyalty to Deano is standing firm.

Lol.

Follow the Burnley model with Dyche. Kept after relegation and got back up and were better off for doing it.

I will wager that the biggest and probably first major debating point this season will be Smith staying or going.

I will be getting my fishing line and bait cast out very early?

I agree about the manager, he has to stay however difficult it gets. Personally I'm extremely optimistic about the season top ten is not out of the question.