Relegated | Vital Football

Relegated

Made in Wigan

Vital Champions League
I’ve just seen on Sky Sports we’ve been relegated. Apparently Championship Manager predicted the outstanding results and ran a last day scenario. Charlton won away at 9 man Leeds and we drew with Fulham going down on goal difference.

I wonder what our esteemed chairman will have to say on this given his justification for keeping Cook was based on the simulation.

Let’s hope the efl don’t consider this as a method of predicting the final table 😳

https://www.skysports.com/football/live-blog/12309/11981708/championship-final-day-live
In football manager we trust ?

Personally I didn't think we would have been relegated. And still don't.
One of Middlesborough, Stoke, Huddersfield or Hull would have gone down instead.
Charlton might have fluked it, but their new ownership issues might have played a part.

The question now, is if the season resumes.
How many of our players have stuck to their training schedules, diligently watched the upcoming opposition's tendencies, strengths or weaknesses and learned something. Or sat on their rs's playing on the PS4 / Xbox.
The best prepared teams will pick up points regardless, methinks.

Last edited:
I’ve just seen on Sky Sports we’ve been relegated. Apparently Championship Manager predicted the outstanding results and ran a last day scenario. Charlton won away at 9 man Leeds and we drew with Fulham going down on goal difference.

I wonder what our esteemed chairman will have to say on this given his justification for keeping Cook was based on the simulation.

Let’s hope the efl don’t consider this as a method of predicting the final table 😳
He will have nothing to say, as usual 🙄

https://www.skysports.com/football/live-blog/12309/11981708/championship-final-day-live

One of Middlesborough, Stoke, Huddersfield or Hull would have gone down instead.
Charlton might have fluked it, but their new ownership issues might have played a part.

How many of our players have stuck to their training schedules, diligently watched the upcoming opposition's tendencies, strengths or weaknesses and learned something. Or sat on their rs's playing on the PS4 / Xbox.
If the recent Peter Reid video is anything to go by we could be in some bother....! 😉🤣

To be fair we had found form and momentum. Plus the away troubles had improved. Of course it’s usually a combination of things but one of the major reasons was the introduction and form of Balogun who made such a difference in defence. If the league restarted he wouldn’t be available (I assume) given his contract at Brighton expires at the end of June and they’d have no reason to extend it. That loss of such a key player could see us back in trouble with just one recognised and one make shift centre half.

It’s partly why I think the whole concept of considering resuming the league is farcical and so contrary against the concept of sporting integrity. So much will have changed - no crowds, possible neutral venues, squads decimated with many players out of contract, change in sub rules etc.

I agree re it being daft trying to finish the league. I suspect the EFL would be fine with it (bar West Brom and Leeds obviously) but the Premier League are a different kettle of fish ........driven by Sky.

I suspect the whole issue of contract expiration will have to be dealt with on a consensus basis, dependent on what they eventually decide to do re last/this season. Failing that, clubs will just do their own things, and may bugger things up for each other.

If the season was going to be finished, then if Balogun is actually out of contract, I suppose there's no reason why we couldn't try and sign him - maybe on a game by game basis, maybe for the 6 weeks or so completion would take. He likes it here apparently.

I agree re it being daft trying to finish the league. I suspect the EFL would be fine with it (bar West Brom and Leeds obviously) but the Premier League are a different kettle of fish ........driven by Sky.

I suspect the whole issue of contract expiration will have to be dealt with on a consensus basis, dependent on what they eventually decide to do re last/this season. Failing that, clubs will just do their own things, and may bugger things up for each other.

If the season was going to be finished, then if Balogun is actually out of contract, I suppose there's no reason why we couldn't try and sign him - maybe on a game by game basis, maybe for the 6 weeks or so completion would take. He likes it here apparently.

There’s much clamour to finish because it Leeds - if it was us top, Barnsley, Knob end etc then I doubt there would be much noise and common sense would already have prevailed.

Good idea clearly re signing Balogun - I’m guessing he would be out of contract so we would be able (I think - don’t know if there is a cut off even for out of contract signings). However from his perspective would he sign such a short term contract knowing if he got injured he wouldn’t get a deal elsewhere. It would be better for him to wait and get a longer contract elsewhere (id say with us but I doubt we could afford what salary he maybe expecting)

Look at the record in the 6 pointers we were the worst in terms of points return from all of the relegation sides. We have so many 6 pointers that I think they'd be our undoing. The final game before the break against Luton displayed despite the improvement in recent games that achillies heel hadn't been corrected and that was by far the easiest of our remaining games and we bottled it.

When league resumes the lengthy injury lists that were hurting some of the teams around us will have eased too.

When the league resumes I think we're in massive danger unless we can break a 2.5 year pattern and actually win some 6 pointers. The fixtures we have are good but like the Luton game I don't think we perform in those high pressure head to head games. We'd probably have a better points return if we played all the top 9 sides in the remaining games knowing us.

Look at the record in the 6 pointers we were the worst in terms of points return from all of the relegation sides. We have so many 6 pointers that I think they'd be our undoing. The final game before the break against Luton displayed despite the improvement in recent games that achillies heel hadn't been corrected and that was by far the easiest of our remaining games and we bottled it.

When league resumes the lengthy injury lists that were hurting some of the teams around us will have eased too.

When the league resumes I think we're in massive danger unless we can break a 2.5 year pattern and actually win some 6 pointers. The fixtures we have are good but like the Luton game I don't think we perform in those high pressure head to head games. We'd probably have a better points return if we played all the top 9 sides in the remaining games knowing us.
I really hope it's done as you are spot on with the 6 pointers - think we could dodge a v.dangerous bullet and re-set for next season - hopefully with a new mon on charge of the first team 😉

You make a good point. Perhaps the hosting of games at neutral grounds in empty stadiums will change the mindset. Perhaps.

You make a good point. Perhaps the hosting of games at neutral grounds in empty stadiums will change the mindset. Perhaps.

I think we need to play the games to keep the TV money so I don't think any club at this level will be put off playing the remaining games we all need the cash flow so badly.