Released and retained list | Vital Football

Released and retained list

AbelBFC

Vital Football Legend
Now that the season has been knocked on the head, I suspect our released and retained list won't be too far behind.

With that in mind, I've put my thoughts below.

Players who are out of contract:

Maxwell - We've offered him a new deal but on less money. Done better than I expected, but he's never stuck anywhere for long and I think he'll go.

Howard - Will be released and end up at Salford.

Mafoumbi - He's been unlucky and will be released.

Sims - I'm not sure if he's out of contract or under contract to be honest, but he'll be retained either way.

Turton - I'd give him a 1+1 deal. He's better than people give him credit for and I think Critchley could get the best out of him. His versatility is also a big + as we just don't know how coronavirus could affect the squad going forward.

Nottingham - He's not as bad as people make out, but he'll be released.

Graham - Guessing that he's out of contract. Will be offered a 1+1 but may walk as he's enjoyed playing senior football over in Ireland.

Spearing - I think he's overrated, but I think we'll offer him a 1+1 deal.

Feeney - We have a one year option on him and I think we'll take it up despite question marks over how he might fit into Critchley's style of play.

Scannell - We won't take up his option.

Ceesay - Will be released. A non-league player.

Gnanduillet - We'll offer him a new deal but he'll reject it and sign for a London based Championship team. This is his level though.

Weston - We'll be desperate to keep him and may to offer him a role in the matchday eighteen to do so.

Loan players:

Alnwick - Will sign permanently.

Bola - Back to Boro.

Heneghan - Think we'll be in the box seat to sign him. This is his level.

Moore - Back to Bristol City.

Dewsbury-Hall - Will have Championship suitors (loan) you'd imagine.

Ronan - Back to Wolves.

Under contract:

Boney - Will be sent packing, either permanently or on loan.

Howe - Will be a player Critchley targets to develop you'd imagine.

Husband - Career defining year for him coming up.

MacDonald - Same as Howe.

Thorniley - Same as Howe.

Edwards - Squad depth.

Virtue - Think he could thrive under Critchley.

Garrity - Same as Howe.

Devitt - May have to pay him off, otherwise think we'll struggle to move him on.

Ward - Same as Husband. Needs a full pre-season.

Kaikai - Should thrive in Critchley's set-up.

Shaw - Does Critchley rate him? If so he'll stick around, if not he'll be on loan in the non-league.

Fonz - Squad player.

Hardie - I don't rate him but his form at Plymouth means Critchley will take a good look.

Nuttall - Same as Howe.

Madine - Squad player.

Yussuf - May have to pay him off otherwise I think we'll struggle to move him on.

Bange - There's something to work with with him. Wouldn't be surprised to see him out on loan. I'm guessing he's under contract by the way.

Last edited:
Would love Ronan but he has just tw@tted this:

Connor Ronan (@ConnorRonan10) tweeted at 8:18 pm on Tue, Jun 09, 2020:
It’s been a pleasure to get the opportunity to play for @blackpoolfc A big thanks to all the staff and the lads for making me feel so welcome and especially the fans for the week in week out support! All the best for the future #UTMP

Would love Ronan but he has just tw@tted this:

Connor Ronan (@ConnorRonan10) tweeted at 8:18 pm on Tue, Jun 09, 2020:
It’s been a pleasure to get the opportunity to play for @blackpoolfc A big thanks to all the staff and the lads for making me feel so welcome and especially the fans for the week in week out support! All the best for the future #UTMP
Funnily enough SEX, saw this as soon as I'd posted and did a swift edit. :grinning:

I'm not overly gone on Heneghan he has been very inconsistent this year plus reckless in many challenges
Thought he was overrated last season, but felt he started this season very well before reverting to type. Solid for this level though and knows the club and players which is an advantage.

I'm hoping he signs. Prone to an odd gaff but a decent header of the ball.
Would love to see KDH here for a full season.

Hope people don't mind, I've added responses to a previous thread started by Hasthings on to this one.

Hastings posted:
Maxwell - Out of contract at the end of the season - I don't mind either way
Howard - Out of contract at the end of the season - Bye
Bony - Under contract - Loan out if we can
Mafoumbi - Out of contract at the end of the season - Bye never given a chance by Larry
Turton - Out of contract at the end of the season - I don't mind either way
Howe - Under contract
Edwards - Under contract - get rid
Husband - Under contract - Decent player complete nutter get rid
Macdonald - Under contract - needs to improve
Thorniley - Under contract - Get rid
Nottingham - Out of contract end of season - option available - get rid
Shaw - Under contract - keep
Devitt - Under contract - Get rid
Virtue - Under contract - Keep
Spearing - Out of contract at the end of the season - Thanks Jay but time we separated
Scanell - Under contract
Ward - Under contract - get rid
Kaikai - Under contract - KEEP and build the team around him
Feeney - Out of contract end of season - option available - Keep
Garrity - Under contract - All promise no delivery get rid
Hardie - Under contract - Welcome back open arms
Gnanduillet - Out of contract at the end of the season - if he wants to stay fine but don't push the boat out
Delf - Under Contract
Madine - Under contract - Must improve surely
Nuttall - Under contract - only young give him time
Yussuf - Under Contract - Get rid

What happened to Bola when he went to Boro, he looks a shadow of himself but a bigger shadow

Nodrogaty posted:

Maxwell - On the ball and reads the game well
Husband - Solid enough
Macdonald - Has great potential and could well fit in
Kakai Also has potential with flare. Not yet fully proven due to mis fortune
Feeny Solid and proven plus hard working
Hardie unfortunate with us, timing wrong, needs another go
Gnands Great feet, deceptive, works hard, but plays a little too deep. Opportunist natural goal scorer if he plays where he should
Nuttall because I think he will come good, given the right situation
Virtue - good fit and would improve vastly with better players around
Having said this, any crocks are useless

I posted:

Maxwell - looks ok but his punch last night was awful.no chance with the goals. Either him or Alnwick.
Howard - Get rid
Bony - Get rid. Burton away last season killed his chances here
Mafoumbi - I would keep as a number two.
Sims- would definitely keep. Like the look of him.
Turton - lile him amd we miss him but not sure with Howe signed now if its time to move him.on
Howe - Keep
Edwards - Loans picked ahead of him week in week out. Our best header of the ball but nothing much else. Get rid
Husband - Not sure he will be our greatest signing. Will miss 6-8 games a season suspended.
Macdonald - wobbled recently
Thorniley - we may never know with this lad. Could see him being a casualty
Nottingham - Get rid
Shaw - Keep
Devitt - Get rid
Virtue - Keep
Spearing - can see him.being moved on
Scanell - Get rid. Weak
Ward - Not convinced by what I have seen.
Kaikai - injury prone but keep
Feeney - will ha e played enough to exercise his option but for me 1 good cross a game is not enough.get shut. Scared to tackle.
Garrity - Under contract
Hardie - recall and hopefully we may see the best of him
Gnanduillet - resigned to losing him. A 20 goal a season replacement will not be cheap
Delf - Needs to buck up. Keep
Madine - As above
Nuttall - hopefully develop under good coach
Yussuf - Get rid

Our loanees are:
Moore- no chance of signing
Ronan - no chance of signing
Dewsbury-Hall- will be Championship at lowest next season
Bola - would like him back. Good coach would be great LB
Heneghan - Think he will sign.

Midfielders, 2 CHs and 2 strikers required as s minimum.
Expensive business this for SS

Hope people don't mind, I've added responses to a previous thread started by Hasthings on to this one.

Hastings posted:
Maxwell - Out of contract at the end of the season - I don't mind either way
Howard - Out of contract at the end of the season - Bye
Bony - Under contract - Loan out if we can
Mafoumbi - Out of contract at the end of the season - Bye never given a chance by Larry
Turton - Out of contract at the end of the season - I don't mind either way
Howe - Under contract
Edwards - Under contract - get rid
Husband - Under contract - Decent player complete nutter get rid
Macdonald - Under contract - needs to improve
Thorniley - Under contract - Get rid
Nottingham - Out of contract end of season - option available - get rid
Shaw - Under contract - keep
Devitt - Under contract - Get rid
Virtue - Under contract - Keep
Spearing - Out of contract at the end of the season - Thanks Jay but time we separated
Scanell - Under contract
Ward - Under contract - get rid
Kaikai - Under contract - KEEP and build the team around him
Feeney - Out of contract end of season - option available - Keep
Garrity - Under contract - All promise no delivery get rid
Hardie - Under contract - Welcome back open arms
Gnanduillet - Out of contract at the end of the season - if he wants to stay fine but don't push the boat out
Delf - Under Contract
Madine - Under contract - Must improve surely
Nuttall - Under contract - only young give him time
Yussuf - Under Contract - Get rid

What happened to Bola when he went to Boro, he looks a shadow of himself but a bigger shadow
Think we'll struggle to get rid of some of those under contract; there won't be a market for them!

We ain't going to be getting rid of the likes of Husband and Thorniley having only signed them permanently in January (especially Thorniley who has two years to run on his deal)! Critchley has a reputation as a coach and will be tasked with getting the best out of these players.

Very harsh view of Garrity by the way!

I think Critchley will want to play a 433, replicating Liverpool and their style of play but with some flexibility i.e. players like Feeney to knock a cross in when you need to be more direct.

And as I say, I think he'll be tasked with coaching up what we've got and especially what we've invested in since SS came in. Think SS has shown that he's willing to take the odd hit e.g. releasing Tollitt, but he's not going to want to clear the decks and pump loads more money in especially with the Covid situation. Don't forget that certain financial caps may be coming in too, so we'll not want to spend loads and then be hamstrung going forward. With the new scouting set-up they'll be tasked with finding value.

Where I do think he'll give Critchley scope is in setting up his coaching and backroom team. Critchley will want people to buy into his philosophies, from first team down to the youth sides. Think we've already seen a move in that direction with the academy role that was advertised.

I'd also point out that we may not have seen the best of some players due to fitness or style of play under Grayson. Don't forget that when Holloway came in he transformed some players with the new style of play. Critchley could have a similar impact on some.

It's clear to me that on the playing side he's taken a watching brief since he came in and that's understandable given that it's first gig and he wants to find his feet. He stuck with the wing back formation for the two games he did take charge of and there seems to be noises that he'll take his time to make his own mind up on players rather than dismissing those who were out of favour when he joined. I suspect he's been watching games back and doing analysis of all the current squad to get a view of ability, untapped potential and those who he thinks aren't up to scratch.

I suspect the view will be he'll largely be content to work with what he has given the current situation + certain contracts and add to them accordingly. Think he'll need to be given time as it may take until the 2021/22 season for him to have the squad moulded in his image. I'll be happy with a top 10 finish next season and have re-aligned my expectations given Covid and what's happened on the field since SS took over. Think reaching the PL spoiled some fans (look how quickly they jumped on Grayson) and I hope they give Critchley time. We've been a bottom two division side most of my life and it will take time to rebuild after the Oyston's. Imagine if they were in charge now - the club would be fucked!

On the basis on my opening post, the current contractual situations of certain players and working on the assumption that Critchley will want to implement a 433 I think we'll be looking to sign the following this summer as a minimum:

Goalkeeper (Alnwick)
Goalkeeper (potentially Maxwell)
Centre half (potentially Heneghan)
Centre half
Central midfielder
Central midfielder
Central midfielder

I know that we've been linked with the likes of that Yates from Rotherham, but don't forget that some we get linked with will be a) because we're doing due diligence on them anyway as any professional scouting set-up would, b) agent talk knowing we have bigger budgets that most, c) lazy journalism because they're either a Liverpool youth player or Critchley has come up against them in the U23 leagues. For example, I'm reliably informed there's nothing to the Adam Lewis links.

Agree with all the posts, still think there are better keepers out there than Jak the Short.

2K I agree build the team around him proper footballer. I am expecting it to be a buyers market wages and signings so we should be pretty strong this season if Mr C gets his signings right.

Looking forward to a decent season with expectations. Decent manager we hope but unproven. The nucleus of a decent squad. Need to cut down on stupid errors I don't think I saw a game without a massive howler in it, costly

Because of the uncertainty (for both clubs and players) surrounding Covid and club finances then we may not hear about the retained list until thd end of June. I also think we eill need another decent striker as Gnanduilett will go

Because of the uncertainty (for both clubs and players) surrounding Covid and club finances then we may not hear about the retained list until thd end of June. I also think we eill need another decent striker as Gnanduilett will go
There's a set date before the end of June where we need to confirm in writing to our out of contract players whether we're retaining them or not.

Think the club will have had this sorted over the last couple of months and won't be surprised to see it out sooner, rather than later.
I agree. They'll want to give themselves a clear run at the two batches of released lists that will come out at different times:

1. The players released from L1 and below plus the Scottish leagues

2. Players released from the leagues above, particularly Prem U23 sides