Release/Retained Lists | Page 5 | Vital Football

Release/Retained Lists

He obviously costs them a fair bit in wages but he does provide a fair amount for the team. They clearly aren't fussed about paying stupid sums for wages etc. You can only imagine that without his contributions Sunderland would've struggled to even get in the Play Offs this season. He's probably worth another season (one year extension) to try and get them promoted next year.
An alternative view is that McGeady is part of Sunderland's problem, making them too pedestrian in central midfield and causing them to play in that one-dimensional way. And at 35/36 next season, was this season his swansong in terms of being able to deliver on a regular basis? And if Wyke leaves, as looks likely at the moment, he has no target man to aim for.

McGeady harks back to a squad funded by £90m in PL parachute payments over three years (two of those seasons in L1), now long gone, and a major rebuild required.

An alternative view is that McGeady is part of Sunderland's problem, making them too pedestrian in central midfield and causing them to play in that one-dimensional way. And at 35/36 next season, was this season his swansong in terms of being able to deliver?

Always a risk having a player that age being such a core part of the team but his stats this season are still more than decent for a wide midfielder. 29 games, 14 assists and 4 goals.

The fact he plays in a Sunderland team which is also aging and slow isn't his fault, he can only work with what is there. I absolutely agree with what you say but I also think there's a place for players like him in most teams. He would excel in a team with more willing runners and dynamic midfielders, perhaps that's what Sunderland will look to build or maybe they'll stick to what has held them in L1 for these years and hopefully stay for many many more!

I think that the introduction of sports science in the nutrition and conditioning of players will allow many players to have extended careers now. Possibly not Stanley Matthews length but you look at the likes of Ronaldo who at 36 can still outshine most. McGeady was their best player last Saturday and didn't seem to be blowing out of his arse come the second half

Those players have already been removed from the squad page on their OS even though they are technically still Sunderland players until the end of June. Thanks for your efforts boys, now sod off as quickly as you can.

Those players have already been removed from the squad page on their OS even though they are technically still Sunderland players until the end of June. Thanks for your efforts boys, now sod off as quickly as you can.

Perhaps Power had already been told which is why he put the ball nearly out of the stadium late on last Saturday!

Portsmouth

Players out (6):

Goalkeepers (2):
Duncan Turnbull, 23 ()
Taylor Seymour, 19 ()

Defenders (1):
Charlie Daniels, 34 ()

Midfielders (2):
Andy Cannon, 25 ()
Bryn Morris, 25 ()

Forwards (1):
Jordy Hiwula, 26 ()

Alfie Stanley has been offered a new contract, while the club are still in negotiations with Ben Close, Craig MacGillivray, Tom Naylor, Jack Whatmough and Ryan Williams, whose contracts expire over the summer.
Thank goodness, now we can finally make Jordy Hiwula an Imp!

I expected more to leave Sunderland than that.

So McGeady didn't waive his right to a new contract at all - he was obviously offered a new one to persuade him to play against Lincoln in the second leg. Bet they wish they hadn't done that now.
He waived his right for an automatic extension on his current terms, not a new contract full stop (although apparently the agreement was he could have his extra year on current terms if they got promoted).

McGeady harks back to a squad funded by £90m in PL parachute payments over three years (two of those seasons in L1), now long gone, and a major rebuild required.

I think that was the problem with the auto-extension of the contract, it would have been on the same wages and Sunderland weren't prepared/able to pay that if they stayed in League 1. It was never that they didn't want to retain him, just to do it on a sensible basis. It looks to me as though he did waive his contract extension, but we don't know what he waived it in favour of (nothing, or an auto-extension if Sunderland got promoted, and/or a reduced offer if Sunderland stayed down).

Ipswich

Players out (8):

Goalkeepers (0):

Defenders (3):
Luke Chambers, 35 ()
Stephen Ward, 35 ()
James Wilson, 32 ()

Midfielders (4):
Cole Skuse, 35 ()
Alan Judge, 32 ()
Emyr Huws, 27 ()
Tristan Nydam, 21 ()

Forwards (1):
Freddie Sears, 31 ()

8 players released with an average age of 31, no wonder they struggled.

Sunderland:

Players out (7):

Goalkeepers (1):
Remi Matthews, 27 ()

Defenders (2):
Conor McLaughlin, 30 ()
Callum McFadzean, 27 ()

Midfielders (4):
Grant Leadbitter, 35 ()
Chris Maguire, 32 ()
Max Power, 28 ()
Josh Scowen, 28 ()

Forwards (0):

Aiden McGeady, Denver Hume and Luke O’Nien will be offered new contracts and discussions continue with Charlie Wyke.
For some reason I looked at Sunderland list when it came out. I counted up 22 players signed for next season before they sign anyone else

For some reason I looked at Sunderland list when it came out. I counted up 22 players signed for next season before they sign anyone else
From their announcement today:

The following senior players are retained under contract:

Aiden O’Brien, Anthony Patterson, Arbenit Xhemajli, Bailey Wright, Benjamin Kimpioka, Carl Winchester, Dan Neil, Elliot Embleton, George Dobson, Jack Diamond, Jordan Willis, Josh Hawkes, Lee Burge, Lynden Gooch, Oliver Younger, Ross Stewart, Tom Flanagan, Will Grigg.

The following senior players are to be offered a new contract:

Denver Hume, Luke O’Nien, Aiden McGeady, .Charlie Wyke

That makes 22. Interesting that some of those shown as being under contract were listed as being out of contract last week (Burge, Kimpioka), so it sounds as if they have been busy signing a few up in the interim.

However, in keeping with most clubs that cannot forget they were once in the Premier League, Sunderland continue to run a development squad for players under 23; there are 12 more players in there, making a total of 34 who could theoretically play for the first team.

From their announcement today:

The following senior players are retained under contract:

Aiden O’Brien, Anthony Patterson, Arbenit Xhemajli, Bailey Wright, Benjamin Kimpioka, Carl Winchester, Dan Neil, Elliot Embleton, George Dobson, Jack Diamond, Jordan Willis, Josh Hawkes, Lee Burge, Lynden Gooch, Oliver Younger, Ross Stewart, Tom Flanagan, Will Grigg.

The following senior players are to be offered a new contract:

Denver Hume, Luke O’Nien, Aiden McGeady, .Charlie Wyke

That makes 22. Interesting that some of those shown as being under contract were listed as being out of contract last week (Burge, Kimpioka), so it sounds as if they have been busy signing a few up in the interim.

However, in keeping with most clubs that cannot forget they were once in the Premier League, Sunderland continue to run a development squad for players under 23; there are 12 more players in there, making a total of 34 who could theoretically play for the first team.

So much for their (irate) fans wanting a huge clearout.

So much for their (irate) fans wanting a huge clearout.

I'm not sure the culling is over yet. Hasn't Will Grigg been out on loan most to the season and George Dobson was offered an out before going on loan to Wimbledon. Elliott Embleton is at Blackpool and apparently doing well. They appear to have extended Kimpioka's contract, so I presume he did well at Torquay, but they may just want a signing on fee for him since he is only 21.