Reilly V Bingham | Vital Football

Reilly V Bingham

kettners

Vital Squad Member
I know Callum Reilly is coming back from a hamstring injury and he did really well for us last year with his dogged workman like efforts. But my thoughts are this What are peoples thoughts of him replacing Bingham as the holding midfielder??. Would he be as creative ??

Don't think of it as one player replacing another but Lovell has the option of rotating between them and Byrne dependig on fitness and availability.

Bingham appeared to play on the left of the diamond yesterday with Pazza as the fulcrum.
Thankfully I don’t think it’s a case of one player or the other but more about the blend and in Reilly, Bingham, Byrne and Pazza we have excellent competition for predominantly three places. Any three from that four would be okay for me.

Given that Lovell doesn't like to change a winning team I think this could be a critical issue in injury prevention given our pitch and the length of the season

Don't think of it as one player replacing another but Lovell has the option of rotating between them and Byrne dependig on fitness and availability.
Are they really comparable? I've not seen any games yet this season, but my memory of Bingham is that he's a solid cdm. Isnt Reilly more attacking than that? I.e. different types of player that you wouldn't really have one or that other.

Are they really comparable? I've not seen any games yet this season, but my memory of Bingham is that he's a solid cdm. Isnt Reilly more attacking than that? I.e. different types of player that you wouldn't really have one or that other.

Although they obviously aren't the same players, I think they are all prepared to put their foot in when required and I am sure they could all do a decent job if Lovell asked any of them to play a more disciplined game playing just in front of the defence. From the match yesterday, I think there was a level of rotation of position between Bingham and Byrne so I am not sure Lovell is stuck on the notion of players being rigid in one position and is happy with a certain level of fluidity of positions providing they cover for each other. I have a feeling Lovell and many managers will simply see all three simply as midfielders and not assign Championship Manager positional titles to any of them.

In summary, I think they all share similar skillsets, but Lovell has used them tactically slightly differently. And due to injuries, I don't think there were many matches last season when two of them were on the pitch together, let alone all three. I think all three can tackle a bit, pass a bit and run with the ball a bit.