Reggie wants out. | Page 4 | Vital Football

Reggie wants out.

I was headhunted to work for a company (freelance) when I was still at Uni. I didn't have a lot of campus time that year but couldn't do the 3 days/week they wanted me to. I said I could only do 2 days a week as they were the days I had no classes. They told me I could be as flexible with my hours as I liked as long as I worked them. So I came in at 11am and intended to work til 6.30, though often stayed til 9.

A couple weeks in the manager called me into his office and told me he didn't like my attitude, coming in at 11am when the rest of them were starting at 9 especially as I only had to come in 2 days a week. I pointed out that was what was agreed when they hired me. He wrote "go fuck yourself" on the top of the proposal I'd put on his desk that day. His management style from then on was hostile and toxic and I quit soon after.

Was I being an entitled little shit? Probably. It was a cushty gig, earning around the same in my 2 days a week as some of the others who were working full time. But I wasn't looking at that, from my entitled standpoint I didn't deserve to be spoken to like that by someone who was managing the company into the ground and was out of his depth. That management style that worked for him in his previous job (as a manager in retail), absolutely didn't work with a prima donna like me in a creative industry.

As blinkered as I was in that scenario, young footballers are going to be even more blinkered, entitled and protected. If you're earning 10,000s a week to train and mostly sit on the bench and someone goes around shouting and calling you a **** you're not going to think about the fans, or the team, they'll just think "this isn't on, fuck this guy, I wouldn't get treated like this elsewhere or if he left".

I now manage people and some need a kick up the arse and others need an arm round the shoulder. Some you have to appeal to their ego and challenge them, some you have to coax the best out of them and some you have to accept they're brilliant when they're in the right headspace to be and useless at other times no matter what approach you take. Jose only has one style of motivating and it limits the results he can get from a diverse range of player mentalities.

Jose's one style of motivation.....does that include buying Parma Ham and Suckling Pig only to have it thrown back in his face by Reguilon. Theres an example of young people of today.

Jose said confidence drops a little bit when mistakes are made. Dier said he hasn't been in a bad place confidence wise. That doesn't meant it hasn't taken a dip..
Dier isnt playing well, neither is Winks or Dele and Bale is limited stamina wise.
So how long do we accommodate them ? If they aren't going to improve....force them out. Jose wants a reaction, if they cant give it....go.
I would use Bale from now on when Lamela gets tired or we need an attacker. If the game is safe bring on a more defensive option. If Bale doesn't perform in the 25 minute cameos left this season, drop him.
If a player gives it the billy big bollox then fails to perform, they deserve to be brought down a peg or two. Ndombele had a shite attitude and got exposed. Bale has taken us for a ride. Dele dipped in form way before Jose came and needs to man up.
I haven't got sympathy for any of them. Jose has called them all out. If you give it the big I am....back it up.
Jose's one style of motivation.....does that include buying Parma Ham and Suckling Pig only to have it thrown back in his face by Reguilon. Theres an example of young people of today.
Lo Celso and Lamela were also at that Christmas Party with Reggie. If you add them to the long list of players you've named that's a serious number of players he's had issues with. So either we have a seriously indisciplined group of players or we have a manager who just can't manage them.

Just out of interest: do you think any of the players that Jose has publicly called out have actually improved as a consequence?

Lo Celso and Lamela were also at that Christmas Party with Reggie. If you add them to the long list of players you've named that's a serious number of players he's had issues with. So either we have a seriously indisciplined group of players or we have a manager who just can't manage them.

Just out of interest: do you think any of the players that Jose has publicly called out have actually improved as a consequence?

If that's Bale, Dele, Dier and Ndombele..
.Yes I think 3 have, not sure about Dier.

Has any player improved under Jose for a sustained period? I don't think so. What it feels like is that it is we do see periods of improvements from players but they seem to crash too quickly and don't recover quickly enough.

For me, the bigger problem is that we can't sustain the player's form issues based on the sum of the parts not being strong enough around them. After 18 months of working with this squad, I'm not happy with Jose over that as we have the squad depth and quality. It should be there.

Jose is paid a lot of money and coming up short.

I think Kane's overall game has improved this season. I think to a degree he's always had it in his locker, and maybe the tweak of his position to drop deeper was through necessity with No Eriksen and Lo Celso being injured, BUT credit where credit's due to Jose, Kane's assist numbers this season probably already dwarf his entire Spurs career total.

Whether Lucas sustains it or not we'll see but he's currently having his most consistent run of good performances.

Ndombele has improved vs his early performances with us, but that might just be him having adjusted to the league. Considering he was bossing Man City in CL before he joined us I think it's safe to assume this is perhaps the case.

The rest haven't improved at all really, bar maybe the odd flash from some.

I was headhunted to work for a company (freelance) when I was still at Uni. I didn't have a lot of campus time that year but couldn't do the 3 days/week they wanted me to. I said I could only do 2 days a week as they were the days I had no classes. They told me I could be as flexible with my hours as I liked as long as I worked them. So I came in at 11am and intended to work til 6.30, though often stayed til 9.

A couple weeks in the manager called me into his office and told me he didn't like my attitude, coming in at 11am when the rest of them were starting at 9 especially as I only had to come in 2 days a week. I pointed out that was what was agreed when they hired me. He wrote "go fuck yourself" on the top of the proposal I'd put on his desk that day. His management style from then on was hostile and toxic and I quit soon after.

Was I being an entitled little shit? Probably. It was a cushty gig, earning around the same in my 2 days a week as some of the others who were working full time. But I wasn't looking at that, from my entitled standpoint I didn't deserve to be spoken to like that by someone who was managing the company into the ground and was out of his depth. That management style that worked for him in his previous job (as a manager in retail), absolutely didn't work with a prima donna like me in a creative industry.

As blinkered as I was in that scenario, young footballers are going to be even more blinkered, entitled and protected. If you're earning 10,000s a week to train and mostly sit on the bench and someone goes around shouting and calling you a **** you're not going to think about the fans, or the team, they'll just think "this isn't on, fuck this guy, I wouldn't get treated like this elsewhere or if he left".

I now manage people and some need a kick up the arse and others need an arm round the shoulder. Some you have to appeal to their ego and challenge them, some you have to coax the best out of them and some you have to accept they're brilliant when they're in the right headspace to be and useless at other times no matter what approach you take. Jose only has one style of motivating and it limits the results he can get from a diverse range of player mentalities.

Top post that.

Fair play to you for negotiating a deal at the start. Most don't have the balls to do that.

That boss is wrong for what he did. He was probably jealous and threatened by you.

I do agree with that. Playing any player the wrong side is poor management.

Only few at the back could do it. King, Jan. We haven't had many others.

For me, Jan couldn't do it either. I've also been noticing that Toby is struggling on the left as well. Thinking back to the Davinson / Jan partnership when Toby was injured, that was really good. I don't think Toby can switch to the left effectively and form a partnership with Davinson.

The irony is that Davinson always plays on the left of Mina for his country and has played really well there. He is the one that is never considered to switch over.

Just putting a natural leftie like Romanogli into our backline would make a huge difference to its balance. Even Mings would make a difference and I'm not sure I rate him too highly.

For me, Jan couldn't do it either. I've also been noticing that Toby is struggling on the left as well. Thinking back to the Davinson / Jan partnership when Toby was injured, that was really good. I don't think Toby can switch to the left effectively and form a partnership with Davinson.

The irony is that Davinson always plays on the left of Mina for his country and has played really well there. He is the one that is never considered to switch over.

Just putting a natural leftie like Romanogli into our backline would make a huge difference to its balance. Even Mings would make a difference and I'm not sure I rate him too highly.
Good post there muttley, I am with you on Mings, futher I believe he has been rated to highly, thus typical of the media overrating some players.

Not a fan of Mings. Pretty average defender.

I wonder if we could get Ake in the summer when he is fully fit? Can't see him getting much game time at City now.

Who's gonna send him back? You think Levy is gonna go, "ok, sorry bro, here, you can go back and play in Spain, we will just go find a like for like replacement. Thanks and good luck!"

No.

This noise is symptomatic of the GreatProblem, just another in a serious series of spills that've come out if you're paying attention.

The buyback is set, they may try and exercise that, but the player would have to agree to such a move, and at the moment I dont beleive he would. And any sale of this player to anyone else would be exponentially more ££.

I imagine Madrid will buy him back for 30 odd million (or whatever the buy back is) and send him back on loan to Sevilla and they'll either bring him back as their first choice LB (Marcelo surely only has a couple of seasons left at top level) or sell him to Sevilla for more than what they pay for him.

Madrid would be silly not to have him back, could be their first choice LB for the next 8 years.

I imagine Madrid will buy him back for 30 odd million (or whatever the buy back is) and send him back on loan to Sevilla and they'll either bring him back as their first choice LB (Marcelo surely only has a couple of seasons left at top level) or sell him to Sevilla for more than what they pay for him.

Madrid would be silly not to have him back, could be their first choice LB for the next 8 years.

Given RM's standards, I'd question that assertion, he's just not in the Top drawer for them, and I can see why.

Given RM's standards, I'd question that assertion, he's just not in the Top drawer for them, and I can see why.

I get that as he's probably not top tier yet but I do think he could get close.

Plus with how the market is they will need to spend serious money to get who they want unless they unearth another gem, which is possible.

We will see, I hope he stays though.

Right, but there's this part about the player having total choice in the matter. Just because RM want to have him back, and even if the meet the agreed upon fee, if the players says "Nah", they've got nothing. Other than to try again.

Right, but there's this part about the player having total choice in the matter. Just because RM want to have him back, and even if the meet the agreed upon fee, if the players says "Nah", they've got nothing. Other than to try again.

You are so correct there, it is completely down to Reggie if he wants to go back to RM, so everything crossed he loves here being no1 LB.