refunds - last season and this | Page 4 | Vital Football

refunds - last season and this

I’m pretty sure it wasn’t £300k. I thought it was around £200k plus he borrowed £100k which would have to be paid back to the club.
Just looked it up to be sure, Scally was paid £311,273 for “consultancy services” in 2018, up from £208,353 the previous year.
Scally also owed the club £90,547 as of 31 May 2018.

I’m pretty sure it wasn’t £300k. I thought it was around £200k plus he borrowed £100k which would have to be paid back to the club.

Is £6.42m per year fair when Tesco’s customers will be struggling financially?

What about other GFC employees? I kind of understand why fans might not point the finger at player wages as they are essentially the ‘product’. But what about the other back-office staff / suppliers. I’d bet that the Finance Director earns more than £100k; the same for Tom Lawrence. All speculation, of course, because it isn’t very visible. But should they all be taking pay cuts too?

I believe the £100k has to be repaid within 12 months as well - although I am open to being corrected

Yesterday, when I heard the news that fans will not be returning for six months at least I was devastated. The reason is we might not have a club to support at all.

My first thought was to think how much of my savings I could pump into the club to keep Gills afloat certainly not what I could recieve back.

Overall, I love the Gills much more than I hold a grudge against Scally for not taking a pay decrease as annoying as it is. Plus I do give Scally some credit for his comments in the Mirror yesterday "I'd even put up with the abuse just to have fans back". 😂👍🏻
"how much of my savings I could pump into the club to keep Gills afloat"
Perhaps someone should devise a poll.....???

Surely "how much" does depend on what the "return" is ?

There is no doubt that a number of fans are willing to forgo a few hundred ££ for their passion.
But how many fans will forgo a few thousand £££ ?

Does anyone wanting a wealthy investor expect them to ride to the rescue for no return at all ?
It ain't going to happen,
(...unless they grew up supporting the Gills).

Surely a fan owned Club is the answer ?
One where "dividends" can be paid not in cash - so helping the business. (e.g. shirt, programme, matchday box)

....and the CEO only takes a megabucks salary if performance merits it.
But preferably the Club can be run by a team ( the "wisdom of the crowd") rather than a single authoritarian figure.

With a few thousand shareholders having a sense of ownership and participation, greater commitment should follow - with goodwill extending to friends and neighbours.

IIRC over 2,000 Supporters bought shares in GFC - some investing several thousand.
At the time, most investors expected little more than the occasional free ticket and more information.

But Scally didn't seem to welcome the Q & As at the Annual Meeting - and started flexing his muscles.

What investors did not realise was that Scally would retain 3/4 of the shares - thus retaining complete control.

So what chance is there that fans will "pump in" the thousands of £££ that are required unless Scally is willing to dilute his shareholding and control ?

For me if you earn 50k you can afford a pay cut. I agree about the Tesco man too.

I couldn’t live on £50k. Many people have fixed financial commitments. Mortgages, council tax, utilities, car lease, season ticket to work, pension contributions etc.

To make sweeping statements like that suggests that you are out of touch with the real world.

If I needed to take a pay cut, I’m sure I could in a couple of years time when my mortgage ends, car lease finishes, manage to find work closer to home, downsize property.

Last edited:
"how much of my savings I could pump into the club to keep Gills afloat"
Perhaps someone should devise a poll.....???

Surely "how much" does depend on what the "return" is ?

There is no doubt that a number of fans are willing to forgo a few hundred ££ for their passion.
But how many fans will forgo a few thousand £££ ?

Does anyone wanting a wealthy investor expect them to ride to the rescue for no return at all ?
It ain't going to happen,
(...unless they grew up supporting the Gills).

One where "dividends" can be paid not in cash - so helping the business. (e.g. shirt, programme, matchday box)

But preferably the Club can be run by a team ( the "wisdom of the crowd") rather than a single authoritarian figure.

With a few thousand shareholders having a sense of ownership and participation, greater commitment should follow - with goodwill extending to friends and neighbours.

IIRC over 2,000 Supporters bought shares in GFC - some investing several thousand.
At the time, most investors expected little more than the occasional free ticket and more information.

But Scally didn't seem to welcome the Q & As at the Annual Meeting - and started flexing his muscles.

What investors did not realise was that Scally would retain 3/4 of the shares - thus retaining complete control.

So what chance is there that fans will "pump in" the thousands of £££ that are required unless Scally is willing to dilute his shareholding and control ?

Well if it all goes tits up at Christmas count me in to help along with what I believe many other thousands of supporters.
The only issue would be PDPS still technically owning the ground as unsure if GFC own it or A N Other Company

I couldn’t live on £50k. Many people have fixed financial commitments. Mortgages, council tax, utilities, car lease, season ticket to work, pension contributions etc.

To make sweeping statements like that suggests that you are out of touch with the real world.

If I needed to take a pay cut, I’m sure I could in a couple of years time when my mortgage ends, car lease finishes, manage to find work closer to home, downsize property.
I think this hits the nail on the head. Just because people earn lots doesn't mean they can stay solvent on less.

Obviously fancy cars etc. aren't a necessity but if you already have a lease on one your money is tied up till it ends. Same goes for a mortgage.

Wealthy people aren't living the same life as you and I and just saving everything else.

I made a sweeping statement as i've never earned £50000 a year. It depends on how committed you are with what you take home i suppose. I'm lucky as our mortgage is quite small now. I am frugal so i often "make do" instead of splashing the cash.

I made a sweeping statement as i've never earned £50000 a year. It depends on how committed you are with what you take home i suppose. I'm lucky as our mortgage is quite small now. I am frugal so i often "make do" instead of splashing the cash.

Precisely. You’ve lived within your means.

People who we might consider as being wealthy are also living within their means. Just because they might earn £100k or £300k or £1m per year doesn’t necessarily mean that they are more able to accept a pay cut.

I do totally get where you are coming from.Scally has had his funds over the years .He must realise now those days have ended. That leaves him decisions to make .As others have said relatively rich people can normally lay their hands on enough money to keep their life style going without a income. But that income is coming to a end .Scally will be more approachable now.However there will be far fewer fish so to speak. The likelihood is that if Scally can keep the club alive it will still be in his interest to do so.He may well try to take a paycut .Taking on what he sees as need so making a announcement might not be possible if he has no idea of how much he will need by the end of the financial year or indeed the available funds .The sort of fans buy out generally doesn't work .Unless someone like Colin Jarvis was head of it then I can't see it having any legs at all .That leaves the club in a sort of limbo but no doubt a fair percentage of clubs will have similar problems as there are not that many sugar daddies around. They will be the only clubs that might have fewer problems and I would guess that would be no more than a handful at our level.

Fan buy-outs are all very well, but it requires people with the right commitment, values, skills, experience and TIME to run the club effectively. Those people do not grow on trees...

So like Ebbsfleet and the whole MyFootballClub thing that was great for a year and then died out once the initial investment was spent and people lost interesting in keep donating extra money into the club annually?

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2017/oct/26/what-happened-to-myfootballclub-ebbsfleet-united

The owner of my employer and the main directors all took pay cuts and reductions with the owner probably taking close to 80% when you consider he owns the building and stopped charging the company for rent. None of them needed to announce this fact to the staff in order to virtue signal the fact.

From speaking to other friends, a lot of other owners and directors of their firms have also taken various pay cuts and referral on payments without needing to publicly announcing it.

I can't off hand think of any other club whose chairman has publicly announced their intention to reduce or defer any salary that they'd be owed.

Even if he did come out and say he effectively took a 66% pay cut from last year's £300,000 consultancy fees, there would still be those who'd complain he was taking £100k too much in the circumstances.

In a couple of years time, assuming the club still exists, if the club accounts show he did take an effective pay cut, I wonder how many people being critical of him will acknowledge that he was with us when he said we are all in it together.

That's a perverse argument Rob but I do take your point that manyowners, directors and high earners have voluntarily taken a hit across the country and good on them. It's not virtue signalling, a weasel term anyway, to indicate you are taking a pay cut. If you are inviting others lower down the chain to make sacrifices it's plain good manners. If you have taken their money already it's a duty.

https://www.standard.co.uk/sport/fo...er-cent-pay-cut-during-shutdown-a4409001.html

Numbers of Premiership managers have taken voluntary pay cuts Graham Potter, Eddie Howe (now gone) and Sean Dyche. I am sure there are others. If it turns out that Scally has done his bit I will be quick to applaud but he's missed the boat in terms of winning people over early on and communicating effectively.

This from Rochdale very early on in he piece and they have continued in similar vein. I don't think Scally is bad, much of his work is good but he doesn't do his own cause much good at times.

https://www.skysports.com/football/...he-will-take-same-pay-cut-as-west-ham-players

https://www.skysports.com/football/...he-will-take-same-pay-cut-as-west-ham-players

Didn't SE come out fairly early on in this crisis saying he'd taken a pay cut. Whilst Scally doesn't have to come out and declare he's taking a paycut/ deferral, when he's shouting from the rooftops about Government and Prem financial help/handouts and has been critical of the PFA for not helping its members employers and early on also stated that players needed to realise we're now in a different world ('re wages and new contracts) and supporters are being treated with contempt over the fact that ST issue hasn't been addressed yet (whether they do or don't want a refund) it stinks to high heaven if PS hasn't taken a paycut/ deferral. I would be staggered if PS had taken a pay cut without us hearing about how he'd "done his bit". Only the accounts will show that in about 3 years time, if we ever get that far down the road.

Last edited:
Ok, so we’re apparently losing £40k a week. And all you talk about is a pay cut. Let’s say he gives himself a £50k pay cut. Sure it would help a lot but you’re missing out on the bigger picture.

Ok, so we’re apparently losing £40k a week. And all you talk about is a pay cut. Let’s say he gives himself a £50k pay cut. Sure it would help a lot but you’re missing out on the bigger picture.
Well scallys wage is 6k of that each week. So is significant. Every little helps, and if he took a temporary pay cut of say 4k, then that would instantly be 10% of the figure. A great start. But clearly more work and more savings required.

I was with a business owner yesterday. He's not paid himself at all during covid.

I read that Millwall have automatically processed this years season ticket refunds as credits on people season tickets account for next season. They have then asked fans to buy Ifollow so it provides cash flow in.

That's clever in my view.

Well scallys wage is 6k of that each week. So is significant. Every little helps, and if he took a temporary pay cut of say 4k, then that would instantly be 10% of the figure. A great start. But clearly more work and more savings required.

I was with a business owner yesterday. He's not paid himself at all during covid.

Scally doesn't take a wage so your maths don't actually make contextual sense. It is hard to half some's wage when you aren't actually paying him one.

He works as a consultant and then charges the club for the billable time at a later point in time. It is most likely he will be deferring any invoicing and probably hasn't taken any payment from the club since last season ended. My money is on Scally planning on not getting paid for his services until the crowds are allowed to return in any sort of quantity. If he is indirectly taking an income, it will probably be against the loan he took out last financial year.

I read that Millwall have automatically processed this years season ticket refunds as credits on people season tickets account for next season. They have then asked fans to buy Ifollow so it provides cash flow in.

That's clever in my view.

So basically what Peterborough is doing in principle which has led to a section of their fans considering legal action.

For me if you earn 50k you can afford a pay cut. I agree about the Tesco man too.

Not sure I agree with that.

There are people I know though work that get paid £300k gross and do the lot. Houses, cars, school fees. Not the sort of thing you can get out of quickly.

If you gave my business partner £500k he would spend £501k, but that's what makes him a great salesperson! 😂