Referees & Refereeing | Page 2 | Vital Football

Referees & Refereeing

Early eighties I took the refereeing course as I was heavily involved in coaching lads league football . We had monthly meetings with guest speakers . The meetings consisted of us rookies right up to the class one refs , we all belonged to the same local association. One month , the great Ken Aston was guest speaker and he was discussing his niggles with the Division One stars of the day .
He was saying how one team would always be on his back , I think it was Leeds , having a go about how incompetent he was etc , . He said that during a break in play , he said to their leading protagonist, “‘I’ve watched you make six or seven bad passes , three times you have mis controlled the ball , twice you have missed easy goal scoring opportunities and I haven’t moaned at you once “‘!
He was left alone after that , he said .

Early eighties I took the refereeing course as I was heavily involved in coaching lads league football . We had monthly meetings with guest speakers . The meetings consisted of us rookies right up to the class one refs , we all belonged to the same local association. One month , the great Ken Aston was guest speaker and he was discussing his niggles with the Division One stars of the day .
He was saying how one team would always be on his back , I think it was Leeds , having a go about how incompetent he was etc , . He said that during a break in play , he said to their leading protagonist, “‘I’ve watched you make six or seven bad passes , three times you have mis controlled the ball , twice you have missed easy goal scoring opportunities and I haven’t moaned at you once “‘!

He was left alone after that , he said .

Classic!

What , they were both not well but both still decided to go through airports , get on a plane and take a fitness tests in Spain. Why would you do that ! .
If that is not a cover story I don’t know what is . This is what we expose our prized sports stars to .
This is scandalous .
Were they officiating in the PL while “they were not well” if so it just shows the disrespect to the players . Maybe they were just relying on VAR to do the job for them .
Edit , I just scrolled further down beyond the adverts and it says they are still refereeing . This in in a league that requires professional officials at the required fitness . Scandalous

What , they were both not well but both still decided to go through airports , get on a plane and take a fitness tests in Spain. Why would you do that ! .
If that is not a cover story I don’t know what is . This is what we expose our prized sports stars to .
This is scandalous .
Were they officiating in the PL while “they were not well” if so it just shows the disrespect to the players . Maybe they were just relying on VAR to do the job for them .
Edit , I just scrolled further down beyond the adverts and it says they are still refereeing . This in in a league that requires professional officials at the required fitness . Scandalous
Majorca!.. Binge!

This whole business of players demanding respect from referees is a case of the pot and kettle for me. If players played the game in the true spirit of it and within the rules, plus stopped gobbing off at the refs every 5 minutes then they may earn the right to respect but until the precious little darlings evolve to that state I’m all for the refs telling them to eff off....in fact I wish the refs would use the dissent yellow much more frequently.....in fact I wish they would enforce the test of the rules more frequently....a yellow card offence in the first minute is a yellow card offence and should be treated as such...letting the players get away with it leads to a complete corruption to the flow of the game and more scope for serious injuries.

This whole business of players demanding respect from referees is a case of the pot and kettle for me. If players played the game in the true spirit of it and within the rules, plus stopped gobbing off at the refs every 5 minutes then they may earn the right to respect but until the precious little darlings evolve to that state I’m all for the refs telling them to eff off....in fact I wish the refs would use the dissent yellow much more frequently.....in fact I wish they would enforce the test of the rules more frequently....a yellow card offence in the first minute is a yellow card offence and should be treated as such...letting the players get away with it leads to a complete corruption to the flow of the game and more scope for serious injuries.
Couldn’t agree more H . It’s weird that they all wear a “Respect “ armband which would be the last thing they put on and the first thing they take off and the least thing they think about . It doesn’t only apply to the racism .
I totally understand your post , Harry , and agree with every last word , but the respect I was alluding to was for the refs to turn up for games in the best condition to give everyone an honest and comprehensively evenly officiated match carried out to the best of their ability. If they are not fit enough to do the job then that is disrespectful in my book . . Entirely disrespectful In my opinion but we all know that counts for bugger all ha ha !

Couldn’t agree more H . It’s weird that they all wear a “Respect “ armband which would be the last thing they put on and the first thing they take off and the least thing they think about . It doesn’t only apply to the racism .
I totally understand your post , Harry , and agree with every last word , but the respect I was alluding to was for the refs to turn up for games in the best condition to give everyone an honest and comprehensively evenly officiated match carried out to the best of their ability. If they are not fit enough to do the job then that is disrespectful in my book . . Entirely disrespectful In my opinion but we all know that counts for bugger all ha ha !
Sorry Walt I misunderstood....I agree they should be fit enough, both physically and mentally. They should be able to control games without being noticed, rather like that example you gave of Ken Aston.

Fair play to Jose for calling out the Neves incident today in his post match interview. It was totally wrong of Attwell to let it go and once again set the tone early for the rest of the match. He once again let professional fouls and dark arts win, just like in the away game that he also refereed.

I hope that managers just keep calling out PGMOL until they get the hint that we're all sick of their agenda. I doubt half the current professional refs would last a month if I took over PGMOL. I'd rather have less talented but high integrity individuals in the middle.

Fair play to Jose for calling out the Neves incident today in his post match interview. It was totally wrong of Attwell to let it go and once again set the tone early for the rest of the match. He once again let professional fouls and dark arts win, just like in the away game that he also refereed

I hope that managers just keep calling out PGMOL until they get the hint that we're all sick of their agenda. I doubt half the current professional refs would last a month if I took over PGMOL. I'd rather have less talented but high integrity individuals in the middle.
You have my vote Mutters , put me down as your right hand man .
At the meeting last Thursday , Infantino said that we are the only league in world football that has problems on the scale that we have with VAR , he then said he did not blame Mike Riley ! EH !

Fair play to Jose for calling out the Neves incident today in his post match interview. It was totally wrong of Attwell to let it go and once again set the tone early for the rest of the match. He once again let professional fouls and dark arts win, just like in the away game that he also refereed.

Wolves knew what to do and do it at the right time, we didn't. Twice we could and should have made critical dark art fouls that we had the chance to that would almost certainly would have stopped their attacks well enough to avoid two goals - it's a part and parcel of the game, and we should have known better.

Wolves knew what to do and do it at the right time, we didn't. Twice we could and should have made critical dark art fouls that we had the chance to that would almost certainly would have stopped their attacks well enough to avoid two goals - it's a part and parcel of the game, and we should have known better.

It's part and parcel of the game getting booked as well. Just like Gio or Dendoncker taking the yellow. Only Attwell knows how Neves has got away with the same thing in both home and away matches. The bigger crime is not the yellow itself but not handing out the punishment. It's ignoring the rules that you're put on the pitch to administer.

https://www.premierleague.com/referees/index

Mike Dean continues to surge ahead in making a difference !
Michael Oliver still looking for his red card !

Do you know the scariest thing about this table? PGMOL has been in existence for 19 years to build a centre of excellence for referees and we still have 8 guys managing 60% of games and 12 guys refereeing 80% of games. It's taken 19 years to create a standard of refs that spend most of their time making the headlines for all the wrong reasons.

Makes you wonder how bad the bottom 4 are with 1 game each when we watch with our own eyes how bad Dean, Attwell, Taylor etc are.

Do you know the scariest thing about this table? PGMOL has been in existence for 19 years to build a centre of excellence for referees and we still have 8 guys managing 60% of games and 12 guys refereeing 80% of games. It's taken 19 years to create a standard of refs that spend most of their time making the headlines for all the wrong reasons.

Makes you wonder how bad the bottom 4 are with 1 game each when we watch with our own eyes how bad Dean, Attwell, Taylor etc are.
It’s a definite worry , I’m sure there are better refs in the lower league . Refs with no agenda and no need to put themselves above the game .
Oliver is perhaps the worst at blatantly ignoring incidents and not applying the laws . He was apparently the next golden boy , and Attwell was fast tracked ( ha ha what does that mean ?! ) .
For a league that promotes itself as one of the best , the standard of those who control the “ best” is really poor .