Referees & Refereeing | Vital Football

Referees & Refereeing

Critical_Spur

Vital Football Hero
Seeing we have a thread on VAR, thought I'd kick start one on this theme...

Interesting read:

https://www.skysports.com/football/...eague-for-referee-jonathan-moss-investigation

An excerpt:

"I thought he was a disgrace. The comments that he made especially to me and one other player - talking about the relegation zone and 'you're still in the relegation zone', 'you're having one', 'your team's having one' this and that and it was very, very disrespectful."

Lol little bitch footballer can’t take it back so goes crying to press.

The current top 6 or 8 refs in the Prem are all toxic in my opinion. Not one of them worthy of earning money at the game. They spend way too much time making the headlines for the wrong reasons and have become a law to themselves.

It's absolutely not OK for referees to be antagonising players with these types of comments on the pitch. It's yet more proof that the referees are putting their own ego's in front of doing the job they are paid to do by the supporting public.

I'm glad Gosling spoke publicly.

Great thread Critical, I can see this running and running . Maybe we can set up a critique every week on referees performances as we do with the players .
I said in a different thread last week that I wondered if anyone actually looks forward to seeing any of the current crop of PL refs taking control of our games . I certainly don’t . They all interpret the laws of the game differently to suit there own agenda . And they all have an agenda .
At the moment the one that I have the least concern about is Martin Atkinson .
The one i have the most concern about is surprising not Mike Dean , but Anthony Taylor . His ego appears on the pitch long before he does and spreads all around him as he he game goes on . Nobody is more important than him during the match . In his eyes ! IMO

Great thread Critical, I can see this running and running . Maybe we can set up a critique every week on referees performances as we do with the players .
I said in a different thread last week that I wondered if anyone actually looks forward to seeing any of the current crop of PL refs taking control of our games . I certainly don’t . They all interpret the laws of the game differently to suit there own agenda . And they all have an agenda .
The one i have the most concern about is surprising not Mike Dean , but Anthony Taylor . His ego appears on the pitch long before he does and spreads all around him as he he game goes on . Nobody is more important than him during the match . In his eyes ! IMO

We'll find out this weekend

Atkinson - ref
Taylor - 4th official
Moss - VAR

Don't mind Atkinson, but there is a notable difference between Dean and Taylor in my mind. I could tell you exactly what decision Dean is going to give and it's nothing about knowing the rules. We all know the script and it's most about David taking down Goliath. He would have been gutted that he didn't see the Sterling incident properly or have VAR let him go and see the screen. He would have loved to have had that scalp and the attention that comes with it. With Taylor, nobody has a frigging clue what decision is coming whether he is on the pitch or at Stockley Park. I'm less convinced he has as big an ego as you think. He's just incompetent and inconsistent.

The ones I would remove immediately are Dean, Taylor, Oliver, Friend and now Moss (perhaps Attwell). We'd see a massive improvement from the rest if this little lot were fired.

We'll find out this weekend

Atkinson - ref
Taylor - 4th official
Moss - VAR

Don't mind Atkinson, but there is a notable difference between Dean and Taylor in my mind. I could tell you exactly what decision Dean is going to give and it's nothing about knowing the rules. We all know the script and it's most about David taking down Goliath. He would have been gutted that he didn't see the Sterling incident properly or have VAR let him go and see the screen. He would have loved to have had that scalp and the attention that comes with it. With Taylor, nobody has a frigging clue what decision is coming whether he is on the pitch or at Stockley Park. I'm less convinced he has as big an ego as you think. He's just incompetent and inconsistent.

The ones I would remove immediately are Dean, Taylor, Oliver, Friend and now Moss (perhaps Attwell). We'd see a massive improvement from the rest if this little lot were fired.
Agree with your list mutters , i would definitely include fast tracked Attwell .
I’m not sure Moss would pass a fitness examination , he looks massively overweight.
Taylor is never wrong , arrogant with it , and as you say , incompetent .His demeanour on the pitch is why I say he has a massive ego.
Moss is in the right place as far as I’m concerned. Sat on his arris .

Last edited:

When I do my player ratings ( which few seem to contribute to ) I will add my ref rating and who it was so as to build a picture of their performance over time. I will do it out of 10 as in the players .

Does anyone remember that great tv play by Arthur Hopcraft about a Sunday League ref taking a a match one Sunday morning? It followed him through preparing his kit to be immaculately turned out and the through the game between two teams of right herberts, giving him nothing but aggro through the whole game until in the end he loses it when one team breaks away down the wing and puts a superb cross into the box and the ref rises magnificently to put the ball in the net and award a goal....of course the players object but he points to some obscure rule which states that if the ball goes into the goal off of the referee it counts as a goal...he then blows the whistle to finish the game.

When you see all the dissent and mouthing off that gets directed at referees, I’m surprised more don’t try it.

Does anyone remember that great tv play by Arthur Hopcraft about a Sunday League ref taking a a match one Sunday morning? It followed him through preparing his kit to be immaculately turned out and the through the game between two teams of right herberts, giving him nothing but aggro through the whole game until in the end he loses it when one team breaks away down the wing and puts a superb cross into the box and the ref rises magnificently to put the ball in the net and award a goal....of course the players object but he points to some obscure rule which states that if the ball goes into the goal off of the referee it counts as a goal...he then blows the whistle to finish the game.

When you see all the dissent and mouthing off that gets directed at referees, I’m surprised more don’t try it.

I do actually remember it, but can't find anything about it. What was it called?

I do actually remember it, but can't find anything about it. What was it called?
I can’t remember Mutters and I can’t find any reference to it in the Hopcraft obituaries or Imdb listing...it would probably be in the archives database at Salford AC but I don’t have access..

I think it was on Granada tv and remains one of the best football films/plays I have ever seen.

just found this Harry. i remember it, it was a cracking goal, cross from the right, ref coming in from the left if i remember, he was in ecstacy

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-02-12 at 7.44.40 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-02-12 at 7.44.40 PM.png
    91.5 KB · Views: 5
Last edited: