Rees gone | Page 4 | Vital Football

Rees gone

"... but they’d have to be above, at or close to our level already. Then he can work on them in and around the first team."

So what you are saying is that SE is not much of a manager, as he can only work with players that already 'have' it or are close to not needing any development?

Actually, that may be a very good point.

I think a manager like Steve Evans , and before him Martin Allen, are brought in for one reason alone. Success on the pitch. You don’t bring in those types with a 3 or 5 year plan to bring on the youngsters.

The players have to be capable of performing in the first XI otherwise they are someone else’s problem. Not the first team managers. Not this one anyway.

I think (hopefully) Steve Evans can coach and improve youngsters, but they’d have to be above, at or close to our level already. Then he can work on them in and around the first team.

Completely agree

Rees signs for Conference National side Bromley. Evans knew that’s where he’s going and says “He’s a great kid, it didn’t work out here, he’ll be a great signing for a Conference National side”.

I fail to see where that is degrading or classless or anything else. Quite decent comments I thought from a manager about a player not in his plans. Its all to do with the people hearing how he’s said that.

Moving on. Good luck Rees. I reckon you’ll be a great signing for Bromley in the Conference National and will rip it up. Their fans seem very excited to have you back ?

That's the point though OSK. The quote was "any National League club" not "a National League club". The wording left the statement open to interpretation and criticism. Whether that's down to PR people or SE it just doesn't come across great IMO.

It seems strange to me that most players just get a "thanks very much for your services and good luck in the future" but Rees (after SE came out and said he turned down 3 moves away from the club) got the comment about National League. Maybe it was innocent and I'm just being cynical and assuming the worst. From Rees' comments after joining Bromley he doesn't think much of Evans either, or maybe that's just down to my interpretation.

The one thing is for sure, SE seems determined to get rid of players he doesn't rate (Garmston next?) rather then coach and work with players and improve them. That's basically what he's done elsewhere with mixed success, but can we afford to keep going on that merry go round. It's his way of working, but if it doesn't bring results it leaves us in a similar (or worse) place than when he came in.

That was one of my concerns when appointing him, the mess we might be in when he leaves, which is more of a mess than when he arrived.

Last edited:
Rees signs for Conference National side Bromley. Evans knew that’s where he’s going and says “He’s a great kid, it didn’t work out here, he’ll be a great signing for a Conference National side”.

I fail to see where that is degrading or classless or anything else. Quite decent comments I thought from a manager about a player not in his plans. Its all to do with the people hearing how he’s said that.

Moving on. Good luck Rees. I reckon you’ll be a great signing for Bromley in the Conference National and will rip it up. Their fans seem very excited to have you back ?
Couldnt agree with that assessment more. Seems nothing news worthy here at all. Im surprised its got people's nickers in a twist.

I guess the risk of employing someone like Evans is that those fans who absolutely hate him will over analyse, seek out and even in this stage invent intended malicious meaning to anything Evans says. It's called confirmation bias and seems to be prevelant here. Loads of fans who didnt like him anyway completely misinterpreting his honest and perfectly positive comments to suit their bias.

I dont like the bloke either, but i dont need to try to clutch at straws and invent examples of Evans shit behaviour to prove why i dont like him. Im sure he will out himself in no time with some actual news worthy ridiculous comment. I know its early but his win record is sadly already looking to prove the haters correct. Really hope it can be turned around, but suspect it will not under Evans.

"... but they’d have to be above, at or close to our level already. Then he can work on them in and around the first team."

So what you are saying is that SE is not much of a manager, as he can only work with players that already 'have' it or are close to not needing any development?

I think what youve picked out here is the difference between a manager and a coach.

Some managers might say that recruitment is 70% of being a good manager. Getting them to play well is a much smaller task. I think he'd say hes a manager not a coach.

Couldnt agree with that assessment more. Seems nothing news worthy here at all. Im surprised its got people's nickers in a twist.

I guess the risk of employing someone like Evans is that those fans who absolutely hate him will over analyse, seek out and even in this stage invent intended malicious meaning to anything Evans says. It's called confirmation bias and seems to be prevelant here. Loads of fans who didnt like him anyway completely misinterpreting his honest and perfectly positive comments to suit their bias.

Well said.

Actually, that may be a very good point.

I think a manager like Steve Evans , and before him Martin Allen, are brought in for one reason alone. Success on the pitch. You don’t bring in those types with a 3 or 5 year plan to bring on the youngsters.

The players have to be capable of performing in the first XI otherwise they are someone else’s problem. Not the first team managers. Not this one anyway.

I think (hopefully) Steve Evans can coach and improve youngsters, but they’d have to be above, at or close to our level already. Then he can work on them in and around the first team.

These are good points. For short term success you don’t get the chance to nurture players over a period of time. This isn’t right or wrong but just the way it is.
I remember Arsene Wenger used to get stick for the opposite. Buying young almost unproven players and then bringing them on. When they hit 30 he would only give them 1 year contracts and looked to replace them with new, unproven youngsters. Again, not right or wrong, just his way of doing it.

I guess the risk of employing someone like Evans is that those fans who absolutely hate him will over analyse, seek out and even in this stage invent intended malicious meaning to anything Evans says. It's called confirmation bias and seems to be prevelant here. Loads of fans who didnt like him anyway completely misinterpreting his honest and perfectly positive comments to suit their bias
I dont like the bloke either, but i dont need to try to clutch at straws and invent examples of Evans shit behaviour to prove why i dont like him. Im sure he will out himself in no time with some actual news worthy ridiculous comment. I know its early but his win record is sadly already looking to prove the haters correct. Really hope it can be turned around, but suspect it will not under Evans.
I’ve just looked st the fixture list again and it’s going to be tough for us if things don’t drastically change ??

Morrell and Campbell both gone out on loan, more budget being freed up to bring new players in?

Bromley had a good away win today; don`t think that Rees played, but Bingham did. I think Bromley are going to do very well this season. Rees could even end up back in the EFL - with Brommers.

Edited - as Rees did come on in 53rd minute as sub.

Last edited: