Reece James | Page 6 | Vital Football

Reece James

I think some people are getting a bit carried away with comments like "greatest player to ever pull on a Latics shirt"
He's good. Very good. And I've no doubt that he'll go on to have a long top flight career but at this stage of his career he is nowhere near as good as a whole list of players who've worn the blue & white.
Yes the potential is undoubtedly there, but at this moment in time the best player ever to pull on a Latics shirt? Do me a favour ??

Thats your opinion Bongsman and that's fine

I think some people are getting a bit carried away with comments like "greatest player to ever pull on a Latics shirt"
He's good. Very good. And I've no doubt that he'll go on to have a long top flight career but at this stage of his career he is nowhere near as good as a whole list of players who've worn the blue & white.
Yes the potential is undoubtedly there, but at this moment in time the best player ever to pull on a Latics shirt? Do me a favour ??

People can make up their own minds. For me the difference in class is blatent I'm suprised people can't see it.

As has already been said KDZ, no-one is doubting the lad's class or potential....... and I'm sure he'll do it at the higher standard in the Prem too.

However, others have already proven that they can do that.

Potential means Jack shit...I had the potential to have a 9 inch dick and look how that turned out...well don't look but you get my drift.

Eeeeh, it's going be a good day. I've already started on the pop and come on the tics.

If he belonged to us we'd get more for him than we got for Valencia, though inflation would would be a factor in that. How much would Valencia's transfer be on today's terms?

The lads potential is obvious to everyone, however players can fail to reach their potential. I doubt this will happen with Reece the lad is destined for stardom in my opinion, but to say he is the best player to pull on the shirt is pushing it. He has the ability, the mentality and all the skills to be that player but unfortunately for us it will not be in a Latics shirt. We should all enjoy the time he has with us and all take pride in his future and claim to have seen the birth of a superstar at our little club. Good luck for the future Reece and I hope you remember your time at Wigan with fondness when you pull on that England shirt and lift the World Cup in future seasons.

the lad as class in him there is no dout about it but plenty young players have shown that is the past and faded away this lad looks like his head is screwed on been great watching this lad this season good luck Reece James

Shall we start a petition to ask Chelsea to let him stay with us for one more season?

You know there might be something in that. If the lad himself is consulted then surely he would want to stay on. The lad is obviously happy and is coming on leaps and bounds from when he was first put in midfield...the only fly int ointment is if Chelsea want him testing in the premier league but his development is huge.

I also think it has had a detrimental effect on Powell's attitude as Reece now appears top dog and not Nick. On Sunday I heard rumblings of discontent when Nick didn't chase back after he lost the ball.

Edit...Monday ofcourse.

I expressed more than rumblings of discontent hindley, I thought Powell was idle and contributed nothing. Let's hope he goes!

To be fair Nick Powell has done very little to earn his salary this season, granted he has been injured but lets face it he is always injured. He obviously has serious fitness problems which wont go away but as he is at the moment he is of very little use to us. If he wants to go then fine by me he will find like a lot of players who thought they were too good for us that the grass aint always greener.

Last edited:
Have to take issue with "To be fair Nick Powell has done very little to earn his salary this season"
medium term memory loss perhaps ?
7 goals 6 assists (involved in a lot more key passes)
His early season form helped us win those vital early games.
Relegation material whilst he was out of the team...
What about his role for corners ? Aside from Chey Dunkley, the best defensive player in the air and used as the free man to look for the ball.
Probably one of the most fouled players on the team (I haven't looked that one up mind you).

The incident when he "switched off" on Monday was when he laid a pass through for Clarke to run on to, but he (Clarke) just didn't see it.

It was a little like Jordi and Cal Mac in the FA semi against Millwall .........Jordi had to hold onto the ball for what seemed an age before Cal saw the run. Powell didn't have that luxury, played the pass, and then expressed his disgust when (with a static Clarke) it made him look stupid, as it went to no-one.

Clarke was still apologising at a corner around a minute later.

Absolutely. We'll miss him when he is gone. Nicks a frustrating player - not due to ability but his fitness issues. Often injured and rarely completes 90 minutes. In fairness to Cook he must find it hard to prepare games as his availability is unknown from one match to the next, let alone the uncertainty as to how long he'll last.

Whilst we will miss him when h goes, if we can get someone in who is consistently fit over the season, even if he has lesser ability, it may be of greater benefit to us over the longer term. That said I'd still be happy if he stayed.

It grinds that he leaves on a free though , he is worth £5m at least at only 10 months ago turned down £10m saying he is going now were ..
Very frustrating for the club ..