Redundancies at Arsenal | Vital Football

Redundancies at Arsenal

SE1_Gills

Vital 1st Team Regular
I read in the Financial Times this morning (what what, tally ho) that Arsenal are making 55 redundancies from their non-playing staff at the same time they're considering contract negations with some of their players.

Deloitte have them pegged as the 11th "richest" club in the world,

I daresay the money they will save from the redundancies won't touch the sides when it comes to extending the contract of Aubameyang. Has anyone seen Ozil?

Just another example of Premier League clubs being totally tone deaf.

I read in the Financial Times this morning (what what, tally ho) that Arsenal are making 55 redundancies from their non-playing staff at the same time they're considering contract negations with some of their players.

Deloitte have them pegged as the 11th "richest" club in the world,

I daresay the money they will save from the redundancies won't touch the sides when it comes to extending the contract of Aubameyang. Has anyone seen Ozil?

Just another example of Premier League clubs being totally tone deaf.
Indeed, the combined yearly salaries these people will be on will likely be nothing compared with just a few weeks of Ozils wasted salary. Unfortunately Ozil was just an awful business decision. They will be happy not to have offered Sanchez a big deal too though. And Ramsey (who Juve now want to get rid of too).

Your post seems more to be focused on the huge salaries of footballers though. Its all supply and demand really. They are the focus, the key part of a multibillion pound business. Why shouldnt they be making good money from it. If they didnt, then it would just be the chairmen or tv execs making it. Its fair that the plauers who are the key attraction make the most money.

Last edited:
Not just Arsenal. I think all the EPL teams are guilty of this.

How much do you reckon they save for each one of those redundancies? £30k, £50k per year? Maybe £100k. So 50 employees would equate to maybe £5mill maximum, Maybe a lot less.

Wouldn’t it be nice if they could maybe stop and think “Instead of buying player x for £70mill, let’s go to £65mill and no more. Keep those employees”.

Probably wishful thinking.

Indeed, the combined yearly salaries these people will be on will likely be nothing compared with just a few weeks of Ozils wasted salary. Unfortunately Ozil was just an awful business decision. They will be happy not to have offered Sanchez a big deal too though. And Ramsey (who Juve now want to get rid of too).

Your post seems more to be focused on the huge salaries of footballers though. Its all supply and demand really. They are the focus, the key part of a multibillion pound business. Why shouldnt they be making good money from it. If they didnt, then it would just be the chairmen or tv execs making it. Its fair that the plauers who are the key attraction make the most money.

It was more around priorities of the clubs which are totally misguided. They all spout about being integral to the community but at the same time shaft their non playing employees who are from those communities..... and will struggle to get a job.

Crude maths- Assuming a squad of 25 players, trim each player's wages by £1k a week (which I doubt they would notice) and then you've got another £1.3m per year to pay the wages of people like Doris who works in catering and john who helps run the club shop.

How much do you reckon they save for each one of those redundancies? £30k, £50k per year? Maybe £100k. So 50 employees would equate to maybe £5mill maximum, Maybe a lot less.

Wouldn’t it be nice if they could maybe stop and think “Instead of buying player x for £70mill, let’s go to £65mill and no more. Keep those employees”.

It would be nice but not the way of our world. Same with big FTSE companies who pay millions in bonuses and the make the cleaning staff redundant.

I always thought this quote was very applicable to the premier league

Bayern Munich season tickets start at £104.

“We could charge more than £104. Let’s say we charged £300. We’d get £2m more in income but what’s £2m to us? In a transfer discussion you argue about that sum for five minutes. But the difference between £104 and £300 is huge for the fan. We do not think the fans are like cows, who you milk. Football has got to be for everybody. That’s the biggest difference between us and England.” – Uli Hoeneß, Bayern Munich president

some players do great work with charities e.g. Rashford this summer but lets imagine if every premier league player took a 10% cut and had that donated to homeless charities in the UK. They could turnaround so many lives. Not everyone in other jobs could donate 10% of their salary but then not everyone is on £100K a week either

It would be nice but not the way of our world. Same with big FTSE companies who pay millions in bonuses and the make the cleaning staff redundant.

I always thought this quote was very applicable to the premier league

Bayern Munich season tickets start at £104.

“We could charge more than £104. Let’s say we charged £300. We’d get £2m more in income but what’s £2m to us? In a transfer discussion you argue about that sum for five minutes. But the difference between £104 and £300 is huge for the fan. We do not think the fans are like cows, who you milk. Football has got to be for everybody. That’s the biggest difference between us and England.” – Uli Hoeneß, Bayern Munich president

some players do great work with charities e.g. Rashford this summer but lets imagine if every premier league player took a 10% cut and had that donated to homeless charities in the UK. They could turnaround so many lives. Not everyone in other jobs could donate 10% of their salary but then not everyone is on £100K a week either

The BM approach is what I'd like to see clubs in the Premier League take.

They won't though.

Not everyone in other jobs could donate 10% of their salary but then not everyone is on £100K a week either

if people want to earn £100k a week they should pack in their job and become a premiership footballer. I don't understand why more people don't do that.

N

Maybe £20-35k per employee at best, assuming if they are trying to 'streamline' a middle layer of matchday supervisors, junior managers, and hospitality staff, so they can shell out probably £120k-aweek-plus on Willian; another Brazilian player who is on the wrong side of 30.

I get that the players are the star attraction. But I'd have thought that the many millions in income that Premiership teams make from Sky TV deals/revenue, plus the £70-£100 that Arsenal charge the 40,000+ who attend most of their home games- not including those who spend in excess of £400 per game on 'Club Deck' hospitality packages, plus box holders- would help cover a fair chunk of the wage bill.

But I'd have thought that the many millions in income that Premiership teams make from Sky TV deals/revenue, plus the £70-£100 that Arsenal charge the 40,000+ who attend most of their home games- not including those who spend in excess of £400 per game on 'Club Deck' hospitality packages, plus box holders- would help cover a fair chunk of the wage bill.

Under normal circumstances, yes. But for the foreseeable future, they're only going to be bringing in a fraction (at best) of all that income. I'd assume that's the reason why they're trying to make savings elsewhere.

I`m looking forward to seeing Salary Cap apply to the Premiership. It might be a way off yet, as they will surely resist, but there needs to be more transparency in football, especially at the top end.

I`m looking forward to seeing Salary Cap apply to the Premiership. It might be a way off yet, as they will surely resist, but there needs to be more transparency in football, especially at the top end.
Why does there need to be more transparency, I don't get it? Arsenal are a company and they have employees, but why is it anyone else's business what those employees are paid?

Not trying to have a go at you, I just don't see what the issue is?

Why does there need to be more transparency, I don't get it? Arsenal are a company and they have employees, but why is it anyone else's business what those employees are paid?

Not trying to have a go at you, I just don't see what the issue is?

I was referring to transparency brought about by a (players) Salary Cap. When a true salary cap is initiated it`s more difficult for clubs to hide supplemental financial benefits given by the club to its players. It works quite well in North America.

Players agreed a 12.5% reduction apparently but how real that is in relation to big stars, who knows.

I think we are entitled to know what clubs pay in salaries, not by name but in total and not by having to wait for late posted accounts to extrapolate. The salary cap idea is coming in lower down but I think all clubs should be held to something like the French model where you declare your budget for the season, which then has to be properly funded. Any breach of that budget brings penalties. It's a sports competition not a test of financial chicanery.

Under normal circumstances, yes. But for the foreseeable future, they're only going to be bringing in a fraction (at best) of all that income. I'd assume that's the reason why they're trying to make savings elsewhere.

Fair enough, but the savings made would be from these redundancies would be negligable, and barely scratch the surface.

Their interests might be better served by the more obvious solution, which is not to pay £100k-a-week for two Brazilians who are over 30, way past their peak, one of who has made some catastrophic on-field errors.

Fair enough, but the savings made would be from these redundancies would be negligable, and barely scratch the surface.

Their interests might be better served by the more obvious solution, which is not to pay £100k-a-week for two Brazilians who are over 30, way past their peak, one of who has made some catastrophic on-field errors.

Bottom line is you can blame us fans.

Thousands of Gooners fans around the world will buy an Arsenal shirt with Ozil on the back, and that will pay his wages.

Unfortunately no one will buy one with “Linda from Accounts” on the back. Maybe we should.

Bottom line is you can blame us fans.

Thousands of Gooners fans around the world will buy an Arsenal shirt with Ozil on the back, and that will pay his wages.

Unfortunately no one will buy one with “Linda from Accounts” on the back. Maybe we should.

"Linda" ! might be over 30, i suppose, but doesn`t sound very Brazilian.