Red button | Vital Forums

Red button

jeffs right

Vital Squad Member
This watching midweek live matches live on tv is terrible and what was the thinking in bringing this in?
Many clubs like us have faced two matches on the trot which also pressurised wallets along with live games which has detrimentally affected attendances.
Too many lost Saturday's due to International breaks. It's a farce. God help us if the idiots ever bring in a winter break.
We won't attract anymore than 10,500 tonight and that's down to the powers that be. True it's a ridiculous price of 25 quid to get on which put with the brilliant gesture of 15 quid on Saturday makes it ok but two matches together and live on Tele the club are on an hiding to nothing.
Thanks for the brilliant price on Saturday by the way, nobody has mentioned much about that.
Even for Blackburn fans a derby following a derby is just not on and we will be lucky to see 2000 from Ewood tonight.
Football authorities need to give their pompous heads a big wobble and keep in touch with the fans.

Lazysid

Vital 1st Team Regular
So now we are saying its the red button that our "fans" will not be there tonight!
Where the feck where they on saturday when it was only £15 and not available to view on TV.

Stop blaming it on the Club , admission prices, Sky, Pubs etc , it's just fickle fans.
We actually earn more revenue from Sky than the Wigan public who cant be bothered watching second tier football live.

exiled tic

Vital Reserves Team
So now we are saying its the red button that our "fans" will not be there tonight!
Where the feck where they on saturday when it was only £15 and not available to view on TV.

Stop blaming it on the Club , admission prices, Sky, Pubs etc , it's just fickle fans.
We actually earn more revenue from Sky than the Wigan public who cant be bothered watching second tier football live.
Absolutely spot on Sid, it's about time people accepted the fact it is not the football authorities, nor the fault of the club, it is in fact the people of the town who continually show no interest in both the towns major sporting clubs and really don't deserve the level of sport these clubs provide!

jeffs right

Vital Squad Member
It's what some do and I wasn't even posting about us it was about the league in general. If some took their time to read a post properly they may not be so argumentative and ignorant. Sure I was in praise of my club for the effort on Saturday. Look at Nob End Saturday then Nob End last night just demonstrates my point.
I do hope these awkward argumentative types get behind the lads tonight.

exiled tic

Vital Reserves Team
It's what some do and I wasn't even posting about us it was about the league in general. If some took their time to read a post properly they may not be so argumentative and ignorant. Sure I was in praise of my club for the effort on Saturday. Look at Nob End Saturday then Nob End last night just demonstrates my point.
I do hope these awkward argumentative types get behind the lads tonight.
We did read it properly, you stated that We would not get more than 10,500 tonight! Plain and simple you were talking about us! Man up and stop crying it seems You don't read your own posts!!

moonay

Vital Football Hero
We did read it properly, you stated that We would not get more than 10,500 tonight! Plain and simple you were talking about us! Man up and stop crying it seems You don't read your own posts!!
I think he meant that the reason why we might only get that many is down to "the powers that be", rather than the efforts of the club

Either way, UTFT.

TRUE BELIEVER

Vital Squad Member
I still don't understand what the problem is. We don't have great crowd figures, so what? Bournemouth have survived on less for the whole of their existence and don't seem to be to bothered. The problem with Wigan is our expectations. We have a ground that is far to big for the amount of support we generate and so the atmosphere at home is usually flat. That is the result of the clubs expectations being too high. We need to get real, we are never going to fill the stadium even if we do get back into the premier league, we need to reduce the capacity and get people from the rear of the stands down to the front and nearer the pitch to create the atmosphere. Don't ask me how we accomplish this cos I just don't know but constantly bemoaning our lack of fans is not going to solve the problem. Dropping prices and ticketing offers will not encourage people to part with their cash regularly, it has a short term effect and nothing more. We can draw crowds for big one off games but our hard core is around 8 to 10 thousand and we need to understand that and tailor any ground redevelopment to accommodate that figure. Blaming TV and radio is an easy cop out and just deflects from the real problem, hopefully the new owners might realise this and plan accordingly. Although I very much doubt they will.

Get used to it, our crowds will never rival those of our near neighbours, we are LITTLE WIGAN and we do it our way.

jeffs right

Vital Squad Member
In comparison to if we hadnt played Saturday and if Rovers hadnt had a Derby on Saturday and the game on a miserable Wednesday night was on a Saturday and if it wasnt live on TV QUOTING 10,500 rather than a possible 13/14000 crowd is not crying about it, its more of a complaint to the authorities about the situation.
Try and be positive rather than being so overprotective and if you want to have a go as I have said before have a go at the ones who couldnt be arsed going to cup games last season.
Now get behind my Club tonight and lets get a win we need.

Lazysid

Vital 1st Team Regular
In comparison to if we hadnt played Saturday and if Rovers hadnt had a Derby on Saturday and the game on a miserable Wednesday night was on a Saturday and if it wasnt live on TV QUOTING 10,500 rather than a possible 13/14000 crowd is not crying about it, its more of a complaint to the authorities about the situation.
Try and be positive rather than being so overprotective and if you want to have a go as I have said before have a go at the ones who couldnt be arsed going to cup games last season.
Now get behind my Club tonight and lets get a win we need.
Who / what did you blame last season when it was on a saturday with no local derby the previous couple of days and no RED button to view ?
Attendance was 11,211 (2,707 Rovers)

Made in Wigan

Vital Squad Member
I still don't understand what the problem is. We don't have great crowd figures, so what? Bournemouth have survived on less for the whole of their existence and don't seem to be to bothered. The problem with Wigan is our expectations. We have a ground that is far to big for the amount of support we generate and so the atmosphere at home is usually flat. That is the result of the clubs expectations being too high. We need to get real, we are never going to fill the stadium even if we do get back into the premier league, we need to reduce the capacity and get people from the rear of the stands down to the front and nearer the pitch to create the atmosphere. Don't ask me how we accomplish this cos I just don't know but constantly bemoaning our lack of fans is not going to solve the problem. Dropping prices and ticketing offers will not encourage people to part with their cash regularly, it has a short term effect and nothing more. We can draw crowds for big one off games but our hard core is around 8 to 10 thousand and we need to understand that and tailor any ground redevelopment to accommodate that figure. Blaming TV and radio is an easy cop out and just deflects from the real problem, hopefully the new owners might realise this and plan accordingly. Although I very much doubt they will.

Get used to it, our crowds will never rival those of our near neighbours, we are LITTLE WIGAN and we do it our way.
I recall suggesting we reduce capacity by sectioning off the back and moving people to the front. Unfortunately someone kicked off as their mother in laws hair would get wet so think they wanted the idea knocked on the head. Stadium does need developing however.

TRUE BELIEVER

Vital Squad Member
BUT there was 14,559 on the ground 39 years ago for the 1st rd FA Cup replay against Blackpool.
What a night!!
Darn right Sid. We can draw big crowds for one off games but our hard core base is around 8500. If capacity in the stadium is reduced to say 15k then with a couple of thousand away supporters we would have a much better atmosphere in the ground and stop all the hassle from pundits claiming we are playing to an empty stadium.

joblot

Vital Newbie
Blackburn game should be on a Saturday end of. Don't know if the club get any money from the red button and if it compensates for any fans that might turn up if it was not on the red button.