Recycling | Vital Football

Recycling

DeanoVilla

One Bloody Number
Just curious as to how much people tend to recycle.

When i put the bins out (as I did this morning which is what go me thinking), we tend to have the same number of black bin bags as pink recycling bags. 2 of each today.

However I wouldn't say that means we recycle 50% of our waste as the black ones are crammed full where as the pink ones a full of cardboard boxes and milk bottles that haven't been crushed or folded.

At a guess I'd estimate 20-25% of our waste is recycled.

We do recycle all our glass bottles and jars seperately (store them up for a while then take a trip to the bottle bank)

So if I had to put a figure on it I'd say 20-30%

What would you estimate for your recycling total?

Seriously our bin for plastics , paper and tins is always full when our fortnightly collection comes around , most of the time it is overflowing , whereas we just use one bin bag a week now for general rubbish , so I would so 50% minimum of our rubbish is recycled.

As much as I can. Love recycling despite some reports saying some of it ends up in landfill anyway.

Over 60%

Also have a waste disposal unit to get rid of food that can be disposed of that way, surprised all new builds weren't made to have them automatically fitted.

For those with the facilities and the right bins I should imagine that most people will be recycling 60%+ by weight.

It would be higher if the government created the infrastructure and we were a more orderly nation.

In Japan householders sort their rubbish into something like 30 categories and take it to collections points themselves.

With the number of fly-tipping incidents you see these days, it seems unlikely that the British are likely to be willing to emulate the Japanese.

Everything in our household goes in the correct bins , it's anyone's guess where it ends up after the bin men have collected it though.

People find it surprising that we have 10 recycling bins plus the green grass bin and garden waste:
They find it surprising cos the recycling bins are always full.

There is only 3 of us at home so heaven help if we had all 4 of them still here. There is at 3 of those full of cardboard + any boxes flattened at the side. There is always 3-4 plastic full. Then the other 2 are 1 for glass and 1 for tin. It's emptied once a fortnight. I try not to throw food away. I hate doing it. Yes I love to recycle too.

Our black bin is also collected once a fortnight: that can be half full to full, depending on what has gone out. If possible I will recycle to anywhere rather than chuck it away.

I would say 50% - 60% + with us too, though it could be over 60% I am being conservative

Whether we phase 1 recycle into the various bins at home makes fuck all difference . All the trash ends up down the transfer station anyway where the waste company earns their corn. They split everything there anyway on huge machines and manual . What we do simply makes their life easier and profits higher .

Fuck them .

Another fine example of privatisation and a drive to efficiency and profitability with sustainability as a masquerade.

Its quite surprising what is not recyclable. I used to think that if it was plastic its good to go for example. But seeing a news article recently about how recycling gets contaminated by non recylclable stuff and how much it cost has made me really take notice. Exciting i know!. Things like the plastic packet around a lettuce is a no go, on a packet of ham from tesco the plastic film cannot be recycled but the main plastic tray is ok. Now based on that do you think a packet of tesco fish cakes would be the same?. No the cardboard bit around the pack is ok. The plastic tray is a no go!. Really needs a re- think all this.

Up shot is far less in recycling bin and more in landfill bin. So either we are doing it right or we are going backwards in the recycling world.

I think the worst thing people don't realise is when they are buying the Starbucks, Costa and so on coffees those cups people think are recyclable aren't. There was a program on TV about it a few months ago. I did a topic on it.

I would put us as 70/30 in favour of recycling.

We are pretty hot on checking labels for recycling 'compatibility' and according to all the signs & banners at our local tip, we're (as a town, not 'we' as a family) doing a pretty good job.

Whether this is true or not, I have no idea. But as a family, we've not yet had a sticker of doom put on our recycling bins (putting non-recyclable stuff in the bins) - plenty of our neighbours have.

:4: :5:

Think 'we' can only do what we can do. ie recycle. What happens after is down to the authorities and would be their shame not ours if they aren't doing it properly.

I've no idea what the percentage is but our local authority is pretty good on recycling. We recycle paper, plastic, glass, metal and even food waste is collected to make the bio-gas that the local busses run on. Anything that doesn't fit into these categories is lumped together and then sold to Sweden who burn it in clean-burn power stations so despite starting my post by saying that I don't know the percentage it's possible to argue that we recycle 100% of our waste.

I should add that the food waste that is used to produce bio-gas is then sold on as fertilizer to local farms.

The Fear - 19/1/2017 21:26

Even my jokes are recycled.

Shut up Jonathan I heard that one.

We Re-Cycle as much as possible, it doe's piss me off that they can not collect glass and you have to take it to the local Park & Ride to find a glass bank.

we are posher around here Col8... they take glass, cardboard, paper, cartons (a lot won't recycle those yet) and plastic.

kefkat - 19/1/2017 23:25

I think the worst thing people don't realise is when they are buying the Starbucks, Costa and so on coffees those cups people think are recyclable aren't. There was a program on TV about it a few months ago. I did a topic on it.
No they aren't as they have a thin layer of plastic on the cardboard rendering them unrecyclable .
I see everyone aware you get 50p off if you take your own mug into Starbucks or Costa

I'm amazed by the result of this. I thought 30% was pretty good I have to admit.

i didn't think there would be many over 60%

In my defence due to where we live we don't get given any bins by the council (despite paying £165 per month council tax!). They say as we're on a hill we're not allowed wheelie bins, and they don't give us any alternatives, so we need to dispose of glass ourselves at the bottle bank, and just user pink bin liners for cardboard, paper and plastics.

If something is therefore a bit dirty, and I'm feeling too lazy to wash and dry it I'll just chuck it in the bin (usually empty food tins or containers), but in the main all outer packaging, paper and plastics get recycled.

Still only estimate that to be around 30% of everything though