Recruitment Team | Page 3 | Vital Football

Recruitment Team

Why do you think we wouldn’t have signed those players if the window had closed later?

No worries Will i'll reply even though you didn't.

Its a well known fact that Wigan Athletic always leave things until the last minute so to speak, if the window closed at the end of August i can assure you that we would still be fannying around until the last week of the transfer window.
I'm bloody made up that the window was brought forward this season.

...... if the window closed at the end of August i can assure you that we would still be fannying around until the last week of the transfer window......

...... which (presuming the recruitment team would end up with the same great result) would just have given more time for anyone whinging about lack of progress and incompetence, more time to make absolute plonkers of 'emsels.

Just as well really I suppose. Don't you?

I apologise for not replying. I usually try and respond to all my messages on here which I feel that people are expecting an answer to. The reason I didn't reply to the message that you sent earlier is because I thought you were asking a rhetorical question, and therefore assumed that you weren't really anticipating a response. In answer to your question, I haven't got myself a summer job, but I probably will do when I go to university. The reason being is that I worked really hard for my A Levels during what was quite a full on few months (Results Day in a few days :confused:), and I guess I just wanted to not have any commitments for a little while. I realise that probably sounds a bit lazy and entitled, but I genuinely think it'll be for the best, as I can go to university refreshed and ready to throw myself into whatever is offered to me there, as well as probably getting a job. My parents have been golden in terms of allowing me to take the time off, so I will definitely be looking to repay them in some way in the near future, but the three of us mutually agreed that I'd not look for a job this summer.

Its a well known fact that Wigan Athletic always leave things until the last minute so to speak, if the window closed at the end of August i can assure you that we would still be fannying around until the last week of the transfer window.

You're probably right about how we have done things in the past, and I'm sure you know more about the club's history than me, but I don't understand your point here. Why should it matter whether we're messing about in early August or late August? Surely the fact that we get the right players is the main thing, regardless of when exactly we get them? I don't see how the time at which the window closes would affect the likelihood of our getting the players that we want?

Last edited:

You wrote "....I can assure. you..." - my interpretation :
Assure = Ass u (a)re. Yep I agree.

Will and Moonay, i think you're asking the same question.

The point i am trying to make is.....If the transfer window closed at the end of August we would be pissing about at this stage and not signing anyone or be slow in doing so, by the end of August we would be something like 5 games in to the season and no doubt losing matches/dropping points, hence what i said about being made up the window closed at more or less the beginning of August.
The window closing early this term has forced our hand and doing so SHOULD ensure we can properly prepare for the next few tough games and hopefully keep us in a healthy league position.

Norm......
We won our first game against the favourites for promotion.
There's no reason to believe our away form would be poor...... more reason to think that our Cardiff win would give us confidence
We'll go into our next home game full of confidence.

Strengthening our side (as we have) from such a strong position may have presented the recruitment team with opportunities to procure even better players.

The window closing early required us to deliver on our plan. Should the window have been differently timed, who knows who we might have been able to bring in.

?

The point i am trying to make is.....If the transfer window closed at the end of August we would be pissing about at this stage and not signing anyone or be slow in doing so, by the end of August we would be something like 5 games in to the season and no doubt losing matches/dropping points, hence what i said about being made up the window closed at more or less the beginning of August.
The window closing early this term has forced our hand and doing so SHOULD ensure we can properly prepare for the next few tough games and hopefully keep us in a healthy league position.

But in the Cardiff game only two of our new signings (Marshall and Macleod) played a substantial number of minutes, and neither of them did anything particularly special. Yet we both outplayed and beat Cardiff. So, in my opinion, there is no reason to believe that we wouldn't be in a healthy league position at the end of August, even if we hadn't made the signings that we have. I agree that the new signings are essential, because they provide the depth and that little bit of extra quality which will be invaluable as the season transpires, but I don't think that they will have made a huge difference to our league position as soon as the end of August. Look at last season, and remember how late we left it to sign Windass and Garner. Yet we were right up at the top of the table even then. So I don't agree that the transfer window closing early will make a significant difference to our early season form.

Regardless, the fact is that the window closed in early August, the recruitment team worked hard to meet that deadline, and managed to get the necessary deals through successfully, and for reasonable amounts of money. I think it's unnecessary to ruminate over hypotheticals; we should just be grateful to have made so many signings in what was probably one of the best transfer windows in our history, and give the recruitment team the credit they deserve for bringing the players to the club.

I'm going to completely ignore all previous posts on the thread 'recruitment team' because I really couldn't care less if anyone has a negative view. They're simply wrong.

The recruitment team has done an absolutely brilliant job this window.

Our squad is far far stronger than it was before. Not only have they raised the quality of the squad, but they've given us strength in depth that we could've only dreamed of last season. We now have cover in every position, as well as having a much more balanced squad. That's a win, end of story.

I honestly couldn't care less if it wasn't done in the first couple of weeks of summer. It's done now, and we're going into a new season with a squad that I genuinely think has a chance of challenging for the playoffs. Maybe we won't get there, but we're certainly a top half team, and that means we're on an upward trajectory. Not only that but we're going to be a top half team with a host of young talent. They haven't built a squad of 30+ year old players on massive wages either. They built a quality squad that will improve for the next few years because they're players with potential and everything to prove. We've also not lost any of our best players (James excluded because he was a loan and Powell excluded because he was rarely fit anyway), which is a testament to the atmosphere in the dressing room, because I'm positive that we have players who will have been fancied by other clubs and chose not to go.

This is the best transfer window we've had in a long time, and the only message I have for the recruitment team is 'bravo' ???

The point i am trying to make is.....If the transfer window closed at the end of August we would be pissing about at this stage and not signing anyone or be slow in doing so, by the end of August we would be something like 5 games in to the season and no doubt losing matches/dropping points,
Like we were last season do you mean?