Recommend a player - Summer 2021 | Vital Football

Recommend a player - Summer 2021

AbelBFC

Vital Football Legend
Jordan Archer - Goalkeeper (free agent)

Think everyone recognises that we need genuine competition for Maxwell. However, the two issues we have are 1) we're unlikely to get a real quality keeper who's happy to sit on the bench (and let's face it, as captain, Maxwell is unlikely to be dropped any time soon) and 2) with the system we play I think we're more inclined to look for sweeper keepers rather than your more traditional commanding keeper (something I don't agree with myself, but it is what it is).

With that in mind, the only keeper that's been released so far that catches my eye is Jordan Archer (released by Middlesbrough).

He's 28 years and six foot one. Started at Charlton before moving to Spurs. He didn't make an appearance at Spurs and spent various loan spells away from the club before making his mark at Millwall, winning their player of the season award in 15/16.

Since then he's had various short spells at various clubs, and I'm not sure if there's a reason for that (I'll have to do some more digging).

He has one cap for Scotland (2018), but had a bit of a mare by all accounts.

He's played 74 Championship games.

Conor Grant - Central midfielder (Plymouth, but out of contract)

I mentioned Conor Grant in the other thread. He's out of contract at Plymouth, but they have offered him a new deal.

He started out at Everton and got one cap for England U18s. Had various loan spells before joining Plymouth permanently.

Had a few injury problems at Plymouth but really showed his quality this season, chalking up four goals and eleven assists (and it's that creativity that has caught my eye). What makes those stats more impressive is the fact that of his 34 league starts, 17 of them were at left wing back (he's left footed, which I think could be a plus). That's the sort of versatility that Critch loves.

He's 26 now so you'd like to think he could be entering his peak, although a concern would be that he's untested at Championship level.

I'm not saying he should be top our target list by any stretch of the imagination, but we need more creativity and he might be able to add that.

George Tanner - Right back (Carlisle)

OK, hear me out here (I know League 2 to Championship is a huge jump!).

We all know Ollie Turton is not the long term answer at right back. Could Tanner be?

He's 21. He's from Blackpool (and is known to Critch). He came through United's academy. He has a year to run on his Carlisle contract. He's ranked towards the top of the defensive stats in League 2.

And read this scouting report from when he was on loan at Morecambe (he sounds just like a Critchley full back): https://www.google.com/amp/s/eflana...20-scout-report-tactical-analysis-tactics/amp

We all know the model is to identify younger players and develop them; seems like a low risk punt to me?

Ethan Laird - Right back (Man Utd)

19 years old and an England youth International.

Spent second half of this season on loan at MK Dons in a right wing back role and absolutely shone. Defensively needs some work but absolutely brilliant going forward.

MK Dons are desperate for him back, but surely if United want him to kick on his next loan move will be to the Championship? And who better to coach that development than NC?

Jeremy Ngakia - Right back (Watford)

20 year old right back who started out at West Ham before signing for Watford.

Made 25 appearances for them in the Championship this season, but he's definitely second choice behind Kiko Femenia and with Watford's tendency to wheel and deal, could he find himself further down the pecking order in the PL and in need of a loan move and regular first team football to kick on?

Unlike say Laird, this guy is very much an old fashioned right back; absolutely rock solid defensively. Here's a table to highlight this:

Manny Onariase - Centre back (Scunthorpe)

Please note I am suggesting him purely on the off chance we don't re-sign Ballard!

I also expect to get criticism for suggesting another League Two player!

He stands out in a poor Scunthorpe side, and looks really similar to Ekpiteta on a lot of fronts.

He's had a niggly hernia injury this season, but I do expect him to get linked with clubs higher up the pyramid this summer as a) Scunny are in the shit financially and b) he's got one year left to run on his contract.

He's 24. Six foot two. Bit of a late developer (like Marvin).

Manny Onariase - Centre back (Scunthorpe)

Please note I am suggesting him purely on the off chance we don't re-sign Ballard!

I also expect to get criticism for suggesting another League Two player!

He stands out in a poor Scunthorpe side, and looks really similar to Ekpiteta on a lot of fronts.

He's had a niggly hernia injury this season, but I do expect him to get linked with clubs higher up the pyramid this summer as a) Scunny are in the shit financially and b) he's got one year left to run on his contract.

He's 24. Six foot two. Bit of a late developer (like Marvin).
And just so you lads don't think I'm losing my marbles, he averages 2.3 interceptions per game, 5.3 clearances and 0.9 blocks. That sees him ranked 2nd in the division, 9th and 3rd respectively.

Udoka Godwin-Malife - Centre back (Forest Green, but out of contract)

21 years old (so compensation would be payable).

Can play anywhere across the back line and has played in both a four and three.

Still needs to develop defensively, but technically very good: completed the most passes of any player in League 2 this season.

Been linked with the Nobbers and Huddersfield.

Jeremy Ngakia - Right back (Watford)

20 year old right back who started out at West Ham before signing for Watford.

Made 25 appearances for them in the Championship this season, but he's definitely second choice behind Kiko Femenia and with Watford's tendency to wheel and deal, could he find himself further down the pecking order in the PL and in need of a loan move and regular first team football to kick on?

Unlike say Laird, this guy is very much an old fashioned right back; absolutely rock solid defensively. Here's a table to highlight this:

As much as I would love Gabriel back I can't see the worlds most massivest club loaning him to a team in the same division.
As much as we do look to develop youth the championship is brutal and we will need experienced players who have played at this level or above.

Jerome Opoku - Centre back (Fulham)

We were in talks with him last summer, but he joined Argyle instead; originally until January but then extended for the season. It was his second consecutive loan in the league having been at Accrington the season before.

Can play left back or centre half and is fucking massive, coming in at six foot six.

22 years old and still developing.

Needs to cut out the cards; received double figures in terms of yellow cards this season.

Haydon Roberts - Centre back (Brighton)

We were linked with him last summer, but he ended up at Rochdale.

Still filling out physically and has admitted it took him time to get up to speed in League One.

Very highly thought of at Brighton (England youth International) and I suspect they'd be open to a loan in the Championship to kick him on further.

Left footed centre half.

Tom McIntyre - Centre back (Reading, but out of contract)

22 years old. Left footed centre half.

He's made 38 appearances in the Championship, 26 of them this season.

Very highly thought of at Reading and they have offered him a new deal.

Capped by Scotland up to U21 level.

Once played with a fractured forehead!